Sprint Evo htc tethering questions

SuzanW

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
Hello. I'm a newbie and I freely admit to being a techie illiterate! I've spent the last 5 days trying get my android and lap top tethered, so please excuse any newbie faux pas that I might commit here.

My husband and I are full time RVers and are traveling the country for a while. We have been using "Tether" for internet access since November 2011. It works great on his Blackberry/laptop and has been OK, but not great on my Android/laptop. It would sporadically loose the connection maybe every couple days or so. Something changed last week and now I can't get a connection at all. We've uninstalled and reinstalled "Tether" on my phone and lap top many times, but it still won't work. Friday I got the paid version of "EasyTether" from Amazon, but I can't get a connection with it either.

This morning I saw a post which said that yesterday (March 11th) Sprint introduced a new "3G/4G plug-in-connection USB connetion" for Android. So, here are my questions.

1) Does anyone know if Sprint has blocked all ablilty to tether, even if you download a tether app not supported by Sprint?

2) Does Sprint have the ablility to check my apps and see if I have downloaded EasyTether, Tether, or any other app that they don't support?
(I've seen threads to other sites that say Sprint can/may drop us if they find out we are using an unauthorized tether app. I'm a little nervous about this since Sprint is the only company we've found that has an unlimited data option.)

Since we are on a fixed budget now, I really hate to add an extra $49.99 to our monthly bill unless we absolutely have to.

Thanks for your help saving my sanity.

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried your laptop on your husbands BB? have you try a different usb cable? try reinstalling the drivers on the pc, sprint does say unlimited but they do have a limit if you keep excceeding they may frown about it. and if your using alot of data while roaming you could terminate you for that. if your husbands tether is still working i would have to say its either a software problem or hardware problem

genuser

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I just used wifi tether last night, so it's working. There isn't any way I am aware of for Sprint to detect how you are using your data. But they do monitor how much you use and how much you roam. Use it sparingly.

What app are you using? Version? Settings?

Sent from my 3VO using Tapatalk

bobodobo

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like you're not rooted, so I presume you're using only USB or Bluetooth tethering, not WiFi which (for reasons I've never understood) requires root access. If you do root, then use the "Wireless Tethering" app which works fine.

Anyway I've had nothing but problems with EasyTether and PdaNet. FoxFi works pretty well on the Bluetooth connection, though. It's in the Market (or I guess they call it "Play Store" now) and it's free. It has both Bluetooth and WiFi options, but the developer clearly states that the WiFi option doesn't work on HTC devices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair