Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM Reborn 1.1

Default Insufficient Storage Error

I am having an issue where i have apps that are ready to be updated. When i try to update them it says i have insufficient storage. I checked my internal storage is at 56 MB and on my SD card is over 1 GB. I don't have a ton of apps installed, yet my memory is very low. Any suggestions.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM Reborn 1.1

Default Re: Insufficient Storage Error

Oh and in addition it has apparently caused the gmail app to stop working right. It no long automatically checks for new messages and does not notify me of new email. It also will not download new messages when i hit refresh.

This is probably a dumb question, but have you cleared your caches recently?

Sent from my 3VO using Tapatalk
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM Reborn 1.1

Nope, it wasn't a dumb question. Now i am not sure if i did this right. After i read your message i booted into CWM and wiped the cache partition and rebooted. It still shows the same amount of free space on the internal memory 56.62 MB

That wasn't really what I meant, but it was probably good to do anyway. I meant more along the lines of application caches.

What rom are you running? This is getting into territory I'm not well versed in as I haven't rooted my 3VO yet, but that information could help someone else help you. I know on my EVO 4G I had one rom that for some reason liked to eat my storage space, but that may have been a partition issue.

Also, what apps do you have? I have nearly 700mb available and I have a metric crapload of apps. I can't imagine running out of space - so maybe there IS a partition issue.

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM Reborn 1.1

I have rooted my phone but i am still using the stock HTC OS. As for apps, this is the list of what i have installed, but not the ones i have moved to the SD Card

Adobe Reader
    Advanced Task Killer
    Amazon
    Amazon MP3
    Amazon App store
    ASTRO file manager
    BeWeather
    Bible
    Chuzzle
    Collapse Chaos
    Google Docs
    Earthquake
    Facebook
    Flashlight
    Font Size
    Foursquare
    Gmail
    Google Search
    Google+
    Atari Greatest Hits Pro
    Handcent SMS
    IDEAL Magnifier
    K-Love
    Lightning Storm Live Wallpaper
    Lightning Ver 2.0
    Google Listen
    Lookout
    Mangler
    Maps
    Market
    FB Messenger
    MLB
    Monopoly
    MyFitnessPal
    NFL
    QR Droid
    Scrabble
    Star Wars: The Old Republic Mobile Security Key
    Storm Live Wallpaper
    Superuser
    TeleNav GPS
    Tetris
    Thunderstorm Free
    Titanium Backup
    Translate
    Trillian
    Uno
    Vlingo
    Voicemail
    WayFM
    YPMobile
    Zedge

Some of those apps are big - maybe move everything you can to sd to free up space for your updates.

However, there's no reason those apps would eat up all of your application space. Something doesn't seem right. You don't happen to have music or videos saved in internal memory, do you?

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM Reborn 1.1

No, all my music and video are on my SD Card. I do have a lot of music and video on my SD card, well mostly music and a couple videos.
    Flashoholic!!

not the whole app is moved to the sdcard there is still files that are kept on the phone. go to settings/apps/ manage apps and clear the cache there for each app or use this app it works good

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...xlYW5lci5uZyJd
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM Reborn 1.1

Hmmm, i tried running the low storage wizard thing and it says there is nothing left to move to the SD card.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM Reborn 1.1

I tried installing the cachecleaner app with the same result. Insufficient storage. So i went through the entire apps list, all caches were already clear. I didn't need to clear any of them.

Global Posts
    826 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

menu, settings, applications, manage applications. Click Menu, sort by size.
    Which are the apps that are at the very top (biggest memory hogs)? Any of those unusually large?
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM Reborn 1.1

These are the top 5 in the list and their sizes

Telenav GPS 29.12
    Facebook 12.62
    Internet 12.57
    Maps 11.99
    Contacts Storage 10.52

The rest are all under 10 MB

My telenav is half that, for reference.

In my experience, the stock browser likes to data hog. Unless you have a ton of bookmarks you can delete the data from it with no ill effects.

Global Posts
    826 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by papabear4jc View Post
    These are the top 5 in the list and their sizes

Telenav GPS 29.12
    Facebook 12.62
    Internet 12.57
    Maps 11.99
    Contacts Storage 10.52

The rest are all under 10 MB
    Telenav - check to see if you can move that to the sd card (I don't think you can move the actual app to sd, but the data file should be movable)
    Regardless, it doesn't look like you have a rogue app that is hogging up the space.

At the bottom of this page (where it shows the downloaded apps), you should see the storage used/free at the bottom of the screen. How much is showing as free/used?
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM Reborn 1.1

Quote Originally Posted by jj14x View Post
    Telenav - check to see if you can move that to the sd card (I don't think you can move the actual app to sd, but the data file should be movable)
    Regardless, it doesn't look like you have a rogue app that is hogging up the space.

At the bottom of this page (where it shows the downloaded apps), you should see the storage used/free at the bottom of the screen. How much is showing as free/used?
    It says 1.1 GB used and 58 MB Free

Do you actually use TeleNav? I don't; I use Google Navigation. I uninstalled Telenav some time ago. You can uninstall TeleNav without needed any Root permissions, and you can reinstall it later (for free) if you decide to.

You can also free up a lot of space on your SD card if you remove the Green Hornet movie that came with the phone. I took it off my phone and saved it on my computer in case I ever decide to put it back on my phone and watch it again.

Sorry, I know this isn't really the subject of this post, but I thought it might help.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM Reborn 1.1

I uninstalled TeleNav (well it only let me uninstall the updates) and it raised my free space to 92 MB, however i still get the same error when attempting to update or install any apps.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM Reborn 1.1

I don't want to contact HTC tech support, as they are pretty much useless and will just tell me to do things i have already done.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM Reborn 1.1

OK this just occurred to me. I wonder if this had something to do with it.

I recently updated to the newest Stock HTC OS by installing a ROM using CWM. However i didn't do a data wipe before hand. Could this have something to do with it?

Global Posts
    826 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by papabear4jc View Post
    It says 1.1 GB used and 58 MB Free
    That basically seems to indicate that you truly have 1.1GB apps installed!!
    How many apps do you have installed?

The top 5 apps you listed add up to about 77MB. That means you have about 1050MB of other apps besides that - even if they were 10MB each, that means that you have 105 more apps installed.
    If you really have over 100 apps installed, and they are all residing on your internal memory, there really isn't much you can do besides uninstalling some many of these.

If you don't have these many apps, you might want to go thru' each app to see how much that really adds up to (sorry, I can't think of an easier way of doing this - maybe others have better/easier suggestions)
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM Reborn 1.1

OK so i re-flashed the OS, but i did a full data wipe prior to this. After everything was all said and done, i have over 700 MB free. So that was the problem. I had flashed another ROM without doing the data wipe.
    Thanked by: