Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Anybody use their Evo 3D w/o a case? How's it holding up?

Does anyone use their Evo 3D withouth a case? How's it holding up (scuffs, scratches, camera pod, screen damage, etc)? How long have you had it naked? Are you hard on it, or do you baby it? Drops? (Pictures are appreciated.)

I asked because I've had mine in a Otterbox Commuter case since day one, but now I'm thinking of going caseless, or maybe getting something thinner.

I have been using mine without a case for about a month and have no scratches. I do have a screen protector. I hate the bulk that cases add.

sent from my 3d!

Default Re: Anybody use their Evo 3D w/o a case? How's it holding up?

I have the white EVO 3D, so i definitely don't want to have it scratch or dent. I had bought this slim slick fitted case off of Amazon about three months ago. I prefer the slim fit of this case.. rather than many of the bulky ones I've seen.

I just can't remember the name of this case. It also comes with a pullout stand. Here is a front and back view of it.

I have a white one with no case. The back cover is a little dirty and little scratches. Does anybody have recommendations to clean the back cover?

Quote Originally Posted by chuy85 View Post
    I have a white one with no case. The back cover is a little dirty and little scratches. Does anybody have recommendations to clean the back cover?
    I use a wash cloth and soap. The scratches you won't get out. They have black & white battery cover for sale on both EBay and Amazon at cheap prices.

Mine has some noticeable paint scrap-age off the bottom, on the frame.

Your asking for a broke phone using a 3D without a case. This phone is no stronger than a s2 without one.

Sent from my PG86100

ROM
    CleanRom 2.7

had some of the cheap ebay cases when i first got my phone. A few months and a couple drops onto pavement later, a have a few scuffs on the corners. Its not enough for me to really care about it, to be honest.

I have used mine since launch day without a case or screen protector, don't see the point in having a nice screen if you can't look at it. The corners of the phone have chips and scratches from being dropped but it has held up fairly well. I figure I will be ready for something new by the time my 3d is too beat up to use.

Global Posts
    983 Global Posts

I am also using my Evo3D with out a case only screen protector I have dropped it on concrete in the Costco parking lot out of my hand it bounced like 4 times only very minor scratches on 2 corners (black sharpie fixed that!) remember it has a metal/aluminium frame this aint no Samsung!
    Honestly the Evo3D is heavy cuz its built like a tank...
    Skywalker to Obi-wan: I think he's searching for his former master, but I've never seen such devotion in ANDROID before...

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by pergerson6 View Post
    Your asking for a broke phone using a 3D without a case. This phone is no stronger than a s2 without one.

Sent from my PG86100
    That's crap. My wife has the E4GT and I've got the EVO3D. Her phone feels like something you'd buy at the $1 store for your kids. Mine feels like a device you would spend a few hundred dollars on. Although her screen is AMAZING!

I have two small nicks around the edge that I colored in. It looks fine. The nicks are still there but I'm happy that this thing isn't made entirely of plastic. No real scratches on the screen just light, light swirls from cleaning it. My only real issue is the glass covering the camera lenses: that certainly isn't Gorilla Glass back there.

I have the most slim case there is, case mate barely there case. When I leave the house its always on but at home its off all the time. My evo3d still looks brand new.

Galaxy tab 10.1

day one sprint evo 3d never had a case. still looks brand new

Global Posts
    143 Global Posts

The screen has gorilla glass and won't scratch, so a screen protector is not necessary. I've had mine in my pocket daily with keys, change, and everything else for about 9mths without even a little scratch on the screen.

Don't confuse scratching with breaking though. If you drop the phone on a corner the screen can break. so to help protect from falls I have a Seido Active case. It is a skin that attaches to the back and barely adds any size to the phone. It also prevents the phone from slipping out of my hands. For some reason plastic slips from my hands very easily.

Link: Corning Gorilla Glass Site- HTC Phones

ROM
    Stock

I purchased my Evo 3D a month after launch and at this point the cosmetic damage is very minimal. I have never had a case or screen protector for it. Mine still works with no issues.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody use their Evo 3D w/o a case? How's it holding up?-imag0049.jpg   Anybody use their Evo 3D w/o a case? How's it holding up?-imag0051.jpg  

Global Posts
    608 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EvoTastic View Post
    I purchased my Evo 3D a month after launch and at this point the cosmetic damage is very minimal. I have never had a case or screen protector for it. Mine still works with no issues.
    Same here... I did drop my EVO 4G and broke the screen which is why I got the 3D around launch time but I only have a few nicks on the upper corners...
    Current:GN4&GN2 10.1/ Prior:GN3/TP201/Xoom/Archos101/RAZR MAXX HD/RAZR MAXX/Evo3D/Evo4G/allSprintTreos&Recovering PalmPre user.

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EvoTastic View Post
    Same with me, got it the first month, no case no screen protector and it still looks new. I should also add i have a 5 and 6 yo who play on it often

Sent from my EVO 3D using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

I've had my EVO 3d since launch day. I've never had a case or screen protector and I also baby my phone. No scratches etc . On another note, I did finally cave and buy the 4000 extended battery. I don't know how I survived so long with the stock battery. Needless to say I am never going back. Lol

Global Posts
    810 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BigDinCA View Post
    That's crap. My wife has the E4GT and I've got the EVO3D. Her phone feels like something you'd buy at the $1 store for your kids. Mine feels like a device you would spend a few hundred dollars on. Although her screen is AMAZING!

I have two small nicks around the edge that I colored in. It looks fine. The nicks are still there but I'm happy that this thing isn't made entirely of plastic. No real scratches on the screen just light, light swirls from cleaning it. My only real issue is the glass covering the camera lenses: that certainly isn't Gorilla Glass back there.
    The e4gt does not feel that cheap. It feels just as sturdy. It's just a whole lot lighter. My fiance has dropped hers a few times and it's barely got a scuff. I haven't dropped my 3D once yet I'm noticing the paint on the edges rubbing off.

My wife and both have had a 3VO since launch day.

The black aluminum around bezel was scratched off very early in several places and has nicks all over it. The plastic is great and looks fantastic still. Back silver ring around the camera is dinged up but the lens seems pretty good still, though real smudgy.

The front screen has two scratches in it, small ones but the screen causes them to become iridescent and very noticeable at times. Sucks...though I hate cases and am typically very easy on my phone. The scratches on the bezel and just BS bad design or poor materials. Scratches on the screen probably my keys...no gorrilla glass which is BS too. That being said, I should have used an invisheild

Quote Originally Posted by sschwindt View Post
    I have used mine since launch day without a case or screen protector, don't see the point in having a nice screen if you can't look at it. The corners of the phone have chips and scratches from being dropped but it has held up fairly well. I figure I will be ready for something new by the time my 3d is too beat up to use.
    Same here. I have run my 3d 'naked' since pre-launch days. Few scuffs but nothing major and works fine. Screen is flawless still. I hate the feel of condoms on the screen.....or elsewhere.
    Thanked by:
    migs 
    Flashoholic!!

well i had a otter box on mine but i found that where i live in northern Mich and not the best reception that it was much better without. heres some test

FYI OtterBox

Global Posts
    143 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    My wife and both have had a 3VO since launch day.

...Scratches on the screen probably my keys...no gorrilla glass which is BS too. That being said, I should have used an invisheild
    I put mine in my pocket with keys every day and no scratches. EVO 3D phones do have Gorilla Glass, see link...
    Gorilla Glass Site: HTC Phones with Gorilla Glass

I've been using mine without a case since launch, no drops yet, no scratches. The only flaw is the corner has colors that are rubbing off.

I really don't understand why people buy cases, cause you only use the phone for 2 years and you're gonna get rid of it anyways.. unless you're super clumsy and drop it a lot, I rather not use a case.. they're usually super ugly imo.

I will chime in and say that I've never had a case and my phone is fine (purchased within a month of that phone being released). All I do is exercise a little care and common sense. No need for any additional bulk in a case or screen protectors that take away from the vividness of the screen.

The thing that I did have happen is that I have a car dock and it took me a while to piece it together but the red decorative trim around the camera lenses started to unglue and come apart. I got a replacement back cover thinking there was a defection and it happened again. Turns out using the car dock in the winter and your heat on defrost is not a good combo long term. Duh....I should have realized that in the first place.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast