Anybody use their Evo 3D w/o a case? How's it holding up?

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone use their Evo 3D withouth a case? How's it holding up (scuffs, scratches, camera pod, screen damage, etc)? How long have you had it naked? Are you hard on it, or do you baby it? Drops? (Pictures are appreciated.)

I asked because I've had mine in a Otterbox Commuter case since day one, but now I'm thinking of going caseless, or maybe getting something thinner.

michellebjohn

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I have been using mine without a case for about a month and have no scratches. I do have a screen protector. I hate the bulk that cases add.

sent from my 3d!

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I have the white EVO 3D, so i definitely don't want to have it scratch or dent. I had bought this slim slick fitted case off of Amazon about three months ago. I prefer the slim fit of this case.. rather than many of the bulky ones I've seen.

I just can't remember the name of this case. It also comes with a pullout stand. Here is a front and back view of it.

chuy85

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I have a white one with no case. The back cover is a little dirty and little scratches. Does anybody have recommendations to clean the back cover?

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I have a white one with no case. The back cover is a little dirty and little scratches. Does anybody have recommendations to clean the back cover?
I use a wash cloth and soap. The scratches you won't get out. They have black & white battery cover for sale on both EBay and Amazon at cheap prices.

pergerson6

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Your asking for a broke phone using a 3D without a case. This phone is no stronger than a s2 without one.

Sent from my PG86100

onesie13

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
had some of the cheap ebay cases when i first got my phone. A few months and a couple drops onto pavement later, a have a few scuffs on the corners. Its not enough for me to really care about it, to be honest.

sschwindt

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I have used mine since launch day without a case or screen protector, don't see the point in having a nice screen if you can't look at it. The corners of the phone have chips and scratches from being dropped but it has held up fairly well. I figure I will be ready for something new by the time my 3d is too beat up to use.

migs

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I am also using my Evo3D with out a case only screen protector I have dropped it on concrete in the Costco parking lot out of my hand it bounced like 4 times only very minor scratches on 2 corners (black sharpie fixed that!) remember it has a metal/aluminium frame this aint no Samsung!
Honestly the Evo3D is heavy cuz its built like a tank...

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Your asking for a broke phone using a 3D without a case. This phone is no stronger than a s2 without one.

Sent from my PG86100

That's crap. My wife has the E4GT and I've got the EVO3D. Her phone feels like something you'd buy at the $1 store for your kids. Mine feels like a device you would spend a few hundred dollars on. Although her screen is AMAZING!

I have two small nicks around the edge that I colored in. It looks fine. The nicks are still there but I'm happy that this thing isn't made entirely of plastic. No real scratches on the screen just light, light swirls from cleaning it. My only real issue is the glass covering the camera lenses: that certainly isn't Gorilla Glass back there.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I have the most slim case there is, case mate barely there case. When I leave the house its always on but at home its off all the time. My evo3d still looks brand new.

Galaxy tab 10.1

SirRob94

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
The screen has gorilla glass and won't scratch, so a screen protector is not necessary. I've had mine in my pocket daily with keys, change, and everything else for about 9mths without even a little scratch on the screen.

Don't confuse scratching with breaking though. If you drop the phone on a corner the screen can break. so to help protect from falls I have a Seido Active case. It is a skin that attaches to the back and barely adds any size to the phone. It also prevents the phone from slipping out of my hands. For some reason plastic slips from my hands very easily.

Link: Corning Gorilla Glass Site- HTC Phones

Last edited:

manonmoon49

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I purchased my Evo 3D a month after launch and at this point the cosmetic damage is very minimal. I have never had a case or screen protector for it. Mine still works with no issues.

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I purchased my Evo 3D a month after launch and at this point the cosmetic damage is very minimal. I have never had a case or screen protector for it. Mine still works with no issues.

Same here... I did drop my EVO 4G and broke the screen which is why I got the 3D around launch time but I only have a few nicks on the upper corners...

boski

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site

Same with me, got it the first month, no case no screen protector and it still looks new. I should also add i have a 5 and 6 yo who play on it often ;)

Sent from my EVO 3D using Tapatalk

mozartkc

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I've had my EVO 3d since launch day. I've never had a case or screen protector and I also baby my phone. No scratches etc . On another note, I did finally cave and buy the 4000 extended battery. I don't know how I survived so long with the stock battery. Needless to say I am never going back. Lol

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
That's crap. My wife has the E4GT and I've got the EVO3D. Her phone feels like something you'd buy at the $1 store for your kids. Mine feels like a device you would spend a few hundred dollars on. Although her screen is AMAZING!

I have two small nicks around the edge that I colored in. It looks fine. The nicks are still there but I'm happy that this thing isn't made entirely of plastic. No real scratches on the screen just light, light swirls from cleaning it. My only real issue is the glass covering the camera lenses: that certainly isn't Gorilla Glass back there.

The e4gt does not feel that cheap. It feels just as sturdy. It's just a whole lot lighter. My fiance has dropped hers a few times and it's barely got a scuff. I haven't dropped my 3D once yet I'm noticing the paint on the edges rubbing off.

svinyard

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
My wife and both have had a 3VO since launch day.

The black aluminum around bezel was scratched off very early in several places and has nicks all over it. The plastic is great and looks fantastic still. Back silver ring around the camera is dinged up but the lens seems pretty good still, though real smudgy.

The front screen has two scratches in it, small ones but the screen causes them to become iridescent and very noticeable at times. Sucks...though I hate cases and am typically very easy on my phone. The scratches on the bezel and just BS bad design or poor materials. Scratches on the screen probably my keys...no gorrilla glass which is BS too. That being said, I should have used an invisheild

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678