Always-on mobile data vs background data?

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't really consider myself a noob anymore, but this might be a noob-ish question...

What's the difference between "Enable always-on mobile data" (settings > wireless & networks > mobile networks) and "Background data" (settings > accounts & sync). I've seen both terms lots of times, but always thought it was the same thing. I didn't realize that those are 2 different setting until just now.

I did a search and found lots of posts about the difference between "Background data" and "Auto-sync" but nothing about "Enable always-on mobile data" vs "background data." So what the difference between these two (three?) settings? Someone make me smarter please.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
For "Enable always-on mobile data" means that the phone will always try to connect to mobile data connection. This allows things like push email to work so you will get them without having to do anything. If you turn that off, the phone will only make a data connection when you go to use it such as the web or Pandora.

Background data allows apps to access the data connection without you using them. For example, push email or the Play Store will let you know you have an update.

Auto-sync is simply that. The phone will automatically sync Gmail or Facebook contacts at a given interval. Otherwise changes you make on your phone wills stay with the phone.

Reactions: jean15paul

anon(285475)

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
That's a good explanation above. Leave them all turned on and then to save battery just try to limit auto sync to the apps you really care about. When you want to save more battery the power widget lets you turn on/off auto sync really easily but be careful because every time you turn it back on it re-syncs all your programs and will use up a lot of juice if you turn it on/off a lot. When you REALLY need to save battery just turn off "mobile network" in quick settings. I've gone 3 days without charging like this and you still get calls and texts, just not 3g

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I've always looked at it as this...
* Background data - allow the apps that have auto sync option to connect to the web (3g or wifi or 4g) whenever the web access is available

* Enable always-on mobile data - always keep the mobile (cellular) data connection available (however, if wifi is available, that will be used instead of mobile data connection).

So, background data is simply permitting the apps to sync in the background (without user having to do anything) IF there is a data connection available.

Reactions: jean15paul

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the responses everyone. I think I got it.

That's a good explanation above. Leave them all turned on and then to save battery just try to limit auto sync to the apps you really care about. When you want to save more battery the power widget lets you turn on/off auto sync really easily but be careful because every time you turn it back on it re-syncs all your programs and will use up a lot of juice if you turn it on/off a lot. When you REALLY need to save battery just turn off "mobile network" in quick settings. I've gone 3 days without charging like this and you still get calls and texts, just not 3g

Thanks for the battery tips mastrK13, but I've taken to just charging all the time. I'm a pretty heavy user. I'm almost always streaming music and video, using navigation, browsing the web, playing 3D games (currently DeadSpace), etc. Sometimes I burn through my battery in 2 hours. I have chargers at home, at work, and in the car, and I'm almost always plugged in. You've gone 3 days without using data?!??!! I can't imaging going more than 3 hours. I'm sure I'll be leaving all the data options on. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze