Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

Default wifi tether free for htc evo 3d without root

hi guys, im looking for a good free wifi tehter app fir the 3vo that doesnt require rooting. i heard of foxfi but i cant seem to find it in android market. also i hear it doesnt work with htc. i do not want to play sprint for my internet so please help, thanks

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

Default Re: wifi tether free for htc evo 3d without root

just use easytether. you have to keep the phone connected to your computer via USB but really that shouldn't be a big deal...it keeps your phone charged at least. Worked well for me

FoxFi doesn't work with HTC devices, so it won't appear in the Market if you're checking from an HTC device. I'm pretty sure no existing WiFi tether app works on non-rooted HTC devices. I found the USB and Bluetooth tethering devices (EasyTether, PDAnet) to be extremely unreliable, though others have had more success than me. I'd suggest biting the bullet and rooting, though I can understand one's reluctance to do so.
    Thanked by:

The built in setting for wifi tether works fine for me. What's the point of third party apps.

Sent from my EVO 3D using AC app

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    ROM
    cleanrom 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by kachowdhury View Post
    The built in setting for wifi tether works fine for me. What's the point of third party apps.

Sent from my EVO 3D using AC app
    Not paying the monthly fees associated with using the built in tether app...

Unless your talking about the one that comes with custom roms, which would mean you are rooted, which means you didn't really read the op.....

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    FoxFi doesn't work with HTC devices, so it won't appear in the Market if you're checking from an HTC device. I'm pretty sure no existing WiFi tether app works on non-rooted HTC devices. I found the USB and Bluetooth tethering devices (EasyTether, PDAnet) to be extremely unreliable, though others have had more success than me. I'd suggest biting the bullet and rooting, though I can understand one's reluctance to do so.
    Main reason for this is to connect other devices to my wifi so USB connection wouldn't work for me. What is the best bluetOoth app that I can use?

AC just did a review on Clockwork Mod Tether, which is supposedly a really good, no root, tethering app. I don't know if anyone has used it with the Evo 3D, to see how it would work for us, but if you want to give it a try, here's the review. http://www.androidcentral.com/clockw...oid-app-review

Let us know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by jean15paul View Post
    AC just did a review on Clockwork Mod Tether, which is supposedly a really good, no root, tethering app. I don't know if anyone has used it with the Evo 3D, to see how it would work for us, but if you want to give it a try, here's the review. http://www.androidcentral.com/clockw...oid-app-review.
    But it's a USB tether app, so wouldn't work for the OP, who needs a WiFi or BT solution. I've used PDAnet as a BT tethering app, but it practically drove me insane trying to get it to work and even more so to keep it working for more than a few minutes at a time. WiFi connections just work (well, except when they don't...)

Also keep in mind that the USB tethering is great on battery life because you're also charging the phone at the same time through the USB port, at the expense of your laptop's battery. Doesn't matter if you're connected to AC power, but it may matter if you're traveling.
    Last edited by bobodobo; 05-29-2012 at 04:55 PM.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

Yea it's a USB connect app. I just need a straight wifi tether app without having to root. If I have to root then so be it. I have no idea how to root the evo 3d so if anyone has a good way please lmk thanks

Well look in the Rooting, ROMS and hacks forum above this one for all the options. Perhaps the first place for the beginner to look is in this thread.

I use 1-click tether. It works on my unrooted 3d without paying sprint.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ihotspot&hl=en

When I get the HTC Evo V from virgin mobile, I would also like to make it into a mobile hotspot with out paying extra.

No root if possible
    Resident Linux Fiend

Global Posts
    1,590 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

Foxfi doesn't show up on market, sprint blocked it... (for all phones)

Check amazon app store?

Sent using my MoPho-King photon

Quote Originally Posted by herkeng130 View Post
    I use 1-click tether. It works on my unrooted 3d without paying sprint.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ihotspot&hl=en
    could you upload the apk please. just tried the app on the market on my 3d and it doesn't work...thanks

p.s. should have mentioned it pops up "Sprint mobile hotspot active" and then an error message "Not subscribed to Hotspot/USB tethering service" There is now a wifi network available to my computer but it asks for a security key to connect and there is no key provided by the app. Is there a workaround?
    Last edited by caveatemptor; 06-23-2012 at 07:16 PM. Reason: forgot a few key points
    Resident Linux Fiend

Global Posts
    1,590 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

Sounds like it's just turned the hotspot on for local network, which is pointless...

Sent using my MoPho-King photon