FoxFi or any other mobile hotspot app?

May 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm interested in FoxFi, but it said it wont work with any HTC devices. Im going to get the HTC Evo V from Virgin Mobile when it comes out. I want to know if FoxFi has worked with any other Evo's? I've heard some talk about on this forum about people getting FoxFi to work with evos. Does it still work? Or did Sprint release some kind of update that blocks it? Would it somehow work on Virgin Mobile? And if none of that will work, any other free hotspot apps that will turn your phone into a free mobile hotspot? With no rooting if possible.

LoneWolf3574

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm interested in the same thing ladies & gentlemen. I loved Foxfi on my LG Optimus V and want to continue using my data how I want. Anything would be great as long as I don't have to root my HTC. :D

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I know Sprint has blocked it's download from the Play Store. I'm not sure if they've blocked the app from working or not.

bobodobo

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
It's not an issue of it being blocked on the Market, it's that the Market doesn't show apps that are not compatible with your device, and the FoxFi developer has stated that it's not compatible with HTC devices. I've never heard of FoxFi working with any EVO devices... I've side-loaded (i.e. not via the Market) FoxFi and can confirm it doesn't work on my EVO 3D.

Bite the bullet, root your phone, and enjoy all the root apps you want.

davidjames911

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
I want to clarify a couple things regarding FoxFi. First, know that I am using the EVO 4G (original).

1. Sprint has blocked the app from the Google Play store, BUT you can still download it by going to FoxFi.com. They have a link for Sprint users.
2. You cannot use the wireless hotspot, you MUST use the bluetooth DUN. This works, only if you have bluetooth on your device that is (sucks for many tablet users).
3. I have been able to get it up and running on an HP laptop as well as a Macbook, with fair 3G speeds (.51mb download, .46 upload).

Hope this helps!

remix1982

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
As mention before FoxFi does work on the HTC EVO 3D as long as you use the Bluetooth DUN Protocol. I am using my EVO to provide internet access to my HP Touchpad running Cyanogenmod 9.

I downloaded my copy of FoxFi from the Amazon Market. To get my Touchpad to run accept the Bluetooth DUN I simply downloaded PDANet Tablet to the Touchpad and paired it to My EVO #D. Works great! I hardly miss the fact that it's not a wifi hotspot.

Chuckles 135

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm interested in FoxFi, but it said it wont work with any HTC devices. Im going to get the HTC Evo V from Virgin Mobile when it comes out. I want to know if FoxFi has worked with any other Evo's? I've heard some talk about on this forum about people getting FoxFi to work with evos. Does it still work? Or did Sprint release some kind of update that blocks it? Would it somehow work on Virgin Mobile? And if none of that will work, any other free hotspot apps that will turn your phone into a free mobile hotspot? With no rooting if possible.

Actually FoxFi does work w/ full capabilities (meaning you can use the WiFi Hotspot function) if you have ICS or above on your HTC device. So if you plan on getting the HTC EVO V then it should work since that has ICS on it out of the box. All you Sprint EVO 3D owners as soon as they deem us worthy of having ICS we will have the same functionality.

enthuz

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Actually FoxFi does work w/ full capabilities (meaning you can use the WiFi Hotspot function) if you have ICS or above on your HTC device. So if you plan on getting the HTC EVO V then it should work since that has ICS on it out of the box. All you Sprint EVO 3D owners as soon as they deem us worthy of having ICS we will have the same functionality.

So you are saying that with the ICS update for the E3D, we no longer have to use the Bluetooth DUN?

bobodobo

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Really? FoxFi does not work in WiFi mode on my ICS EVO 3D (I'm using MeanROM 2.4, if that matters):

WiFi mode can not be activated on HTC phones due to an HTC hotspot lock. Please use Bluetooth Mode instead.

In contrast, the Wireless Tether app works fine in WiFi mode.

enthuz

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
You answered my question in your above reply. FoxFi has both Bluetooth and WiFi capabilities. You weren't clear on which you were referring to or if the app wouldn't open.

eacura69

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Updated to ICS yesterday, tried Foxfi and PDA on Tablet and it doesn’t work. The moment I activate Foxfi on E3D my 3G symbol disappears from the top and the phone tells me that there is no data service. Any ideas? settings to change?
This happened with Bluetooth, Wifi would not work period.

enthuz

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
I tested it on mine and it is working like it has always worked. I'm on version 1.80.5.

I then updated to version 1.91.2 and it still works fine.

Reactions: eacura69

eacura69

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
my Foxfi version reads 1.91.3...still no go. Does your 3G symbol disappear when you're activated? maybe i should look for the set up tutorial again on youtube...i may be doing something wrong somewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool