Wifi connects, no internet after update to ICS

rethan

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

So my Evo 3D updated to ICS last night, internet worked before and after update. The phones internet just stopped working, it connects to the wifi router, tries to sync, i try open anything that requires internet and no internet. The symptoms are as if i entered a setting wrong, but trust me i have been trying this for hours to FORGET network then re-add it. I rebooted the router, i have tried connecting to another router, it connects but no internet (i am using static, its my work connection). I can ping the phone.

What are your suggestions? I have cleared all cache, took battery out. When i use Mobile Network everything then works. This is very frustrating as Wifi should be a simple thing for Android. PLEEEEEASSSEEE get this working :(

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Do you have MAC ID filtering on the router? If so, I wonder if the ROM update changed your MAC address

If that doesn't help, try to change the broadcast channel on your router to a different one to see if that helps.

rethan

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I have no MAC filtering on, i will try another channel. I am using an HTC i ordered from Taiwan. It's not Sprint, its the htc evo 3d x515m, is that unbranded? Stock ROM.

IPA_Thanks

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I have spent hours trying to fix the exact same problem, at least sounds very familiar.
Formally connects to WiFi but no access to internet; I can see the router and that's all. No problem at that end because my Sony Tablet S that also runs ICS 4.03 has full internet access through the same setup. I really think there must be a bug in the update.
There is no MAC filtering or anything. Same problem whether I use DHCP or static IP.
Please help - I am at my wits end here!

PS Don't bother with a full factory reset! Same problem after that, and tons of apps to restore :(

rethan

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking a full factory reset, but that wont help according to other people and yourself IPA.

I need this fixed or something cause its very frustrating and no idea what else to try.

IPA_Thanks

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I know. I have written to HTC support to link to this forum and let them know of our problems - I think there must be a bug of sorts in the update. Another device of mine uses 4.03 too and is on my WiFi w/o problems so the issue is clearly with the Evo.

Rather than spend more time on this, my plans are to use USB-link via the PC to the internet for the next few days rather than WiFi and hope that they roll out another update or let us know of a fix. Alternatively I'll need to try to reinstall Honeycomb but not keen on all the additional work :(

:'(

kachowdhury

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
I am not experiencing this issue after updating to ICS. So far it's running smoothly. Writing this post using my home wifi.

Sent from my EVO 3D using AC app

rethan

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Just an update, it works on my home router, here it's DHCP, at work, it's static which does not work. Any ideas? Must either be the phone is confused with static cause I had WiFi static installed? What could this be?

rethan

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
ICS does not need Wifi Static. It remembers each network with its own IP range. I rebooted my phone now back to normal, no internet. BLEH!

rethan

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Ok this is what happens, i get to work and my phone connects to the AP on a static network, everything works fine all the time, until i reboot my phone, then the wireless connects again but no internet. I then have to go to the shop down the road to connect to his Wifi, which has DHCP. The internet then works there AND when i arrive back to work on the static connection it works again. I wish i could figure this out.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Once you reboot at work, can you check the gateway IP address? And then, after going to the shop down the road and connecting to the DHCP server there, can you check your gateway IP address back at work? Is it the same?

rethan

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Nope it is not the same... But here is what HTC said:

Thank you for contacting us,

In regards to your enquiry kindly be informed that we will be issuing an update for your phone. The update will be issued as soon as possible, once the update is released, you will be receiving a notification on your device stating that an update is available.
Also you can send your device for the repairs to be fixed.

Please note that you can contact us via support line . For further details, please go to https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tp%3A%2F%2Fwww.htc.com%2Fuk%2F&token=e5ZhtKJ0, you'll find a toll free number that you can dial only from a landline.

Respect & Regards,

HTC Technical Support Team

JimMelbFL

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
This seems to be a generic problem in the HTC EVO 4G firmware too.

I randomly get the same effect. It works wonderfully 95% of the time on WIFI. Then if I leave my home and travel and use 3G for a while and then go to an establishment with WIFI it senses it fine, connects beautifully and the wireless router assign a local IP. But then NO internet - connections time out or immediately fail. I was thinking it was the establishments problem on the internet side of their router. I had to go to 3G and manually turn off the WIFI in settings to force the phone to use 3G - which worked (with slow internet). I returned home and could not get internet when I signed into my WIFI. I had to fiddle with the 3G and WIFI off and on manually and finally after disabling BOTH 3G and WIFE from settings got it to reconnect in WIFI mode WITH internet. They have some kind of bug in the socket logic depending on the physical layer accessing the internet - probably trying to use the socket ID from the 3G connection rather than reopen a new TCP socket on the WIFI side. You'd think by now this sort of stuff would be rock solid...

JimMelbFL

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
I used to develop firmware and anticipate the pattern of this problem to be old app contexts being held in cache with old outdated socket handles. I use the "recent apps" hard menu function a lot. This lets me fast jump to open internet browser contexts or to open internet custom apps. Using this recent apps menu key makes it blazingly fast to jump to certain internet sessions and multi-tasks without having to reload the web pages and navigate back down to the article you were reading or interacting with. I am BETTING that if you have old app contexts loaded in memory that were initially loaded from a WIFI session and then move out of range and sequae into 3G or no internet then try to reconnect using this mechanism then it simply has old sockets in the app data caches and can't figure out how to refresh/reload them with a new physical socket layer using 3G or a new WIFI router connection on a different router. If I run my wifi analyzer app it sometimes forces it all to reset. Just recording ideas to leave cookie crumbs for someone to sleuth this problem down and fix it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34