Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Quote Originally Posted by SenseMonkey View Post
    I as well spoke with a sprint rep,and they told me a few features(same thing as the htc vivid ics) that would be on the ics update,and they told me it would be available around the end of july. So about 2 more weeks till ics is in our hands.
    Was told yesterday from Sprint Executive Services that they do have the update and it should start pushing out in about two weeks. So the time period is about the same.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk 2

Default Re: Ics for the Sprint Evo 3d.

I gave up hope on the OTA months ago. I rooted and used one of the VM's ROMs. It's sad how the VM 3D had 4.0. Yet Sprint users are left out. I don't see what Sprint could still be "testing" since the VM leaked ROMs work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by GTAFan9999 View Post
    ...I don't see what Sprint could still be "testing" since the VM leaked ROMs work fine.
    Bloatware.
    Thanked by 2:
    GTAFan9999 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by plmn View Post
    Bloatware.
    Lol. Got that right.

Global Posts
    1,797 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by plmn View Post
    Bloatware.
    Hopefully the ics update doesnt come with the annoying bloatware apps the phone came with at first.

It came with Dropbox which is actually really handy. Would never have known about this app otherwise.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515a using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by P_M_G View Post
    with the variety of ICS ROMs out there, who cares if we get an "official" ICS update?
    I wAnt to root my EVO 3d but I am not a phone nerd is it really hard to a lame man
    Root your phones and get out from under the thumb of the Man that's keeping stuff from you because He thinks you'll get frustrated and buy a new phone.

I don't know where it's written in stone that any manufacturer or carrier is required to update any of their phones. If it's not, then all this bellyaching and crying about corporate greed is just BS.

Think about it...when a new OS comes out for the PC many of you are typing on - do you get it FREE? Last I saw, I had to pay to go from Vista to WIN7....or from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion (really?)

Besides, with JB set to drop (and already in AOSP) as soon as you get ICS you'll all be complaining about why you don't have JB yet.

ROOT AND BE FREE!!

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

ICS for EVO 3D in "early August" per the front page of AC.

Copy and paste from CNET.com

If you own an HTC Evo 3D or Evo Design 4G, here's a bit of good news. An update to Google's modern Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich operating system is just around the corner.

Android ICS certainly isn't Google's freshest mobile software flavor, Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. Frankly I'd rather have the nimbler handling and trove of new abilities JB brings to the table.

Sadly you'll have to patiently wait a few more weeks, until early August, before the roll out begins. Just remember to manually check for any updates by tapping Menu, Settings, System Updates, frequently on your device if tasty ICS remains out of sight

Read more: Evo Design 4G, Evo 3D will receive Android 4.0 shortly | Dialed In - CNET Blogs

More angry then excited by the news. O well...I'll have my Nexus 7 tomorrow.

Hi everyone, I'm not a super active member here but I wanted to share this little bit of information that I received from HTC. I can't get it to work, probably because my phone won't recognize the dates and times to use the internet. If anyone can figure out how to make the below work please share.

Dear Nathan,

I understand that you are enquiring about when the Ice Cream Sandwich update, Android 4.0 will be coming out to the Evo 3D. I know how important it is to get your device updated to the most current software and I will be happy to help you with that. It is showing in our system that the Evo 3D is to get the update from June-July. If you currently do not have the device up to date, you can go into menu>settings>date and time>uncheck automatic>change the date and time to 3 months, 3 days, and 3 years in advanced>go back out to the main screen like you are going to make a phone call>dial *#*#2432546#*#* and you should see check-in succeeded>go into your menu>settings>check for updates. It may or may not come out over the air right now but that is a way you can check for updates. Nathan, if you have any further questions, please reply to this email. I want to thank you so much for contacting HTC and have a wonderful night.

Let me know if I have successfully answered your question, please click here to complete this.

To send a reply to this message, please click here.

Sincerely,

Amy

From Q1 to June, to June-July, to early August. And that could mean August 14.
    Thanks Sprint and HTC for making my next phone purchase crystal clear.
    webOS is dead. Long live Android.
    Data Hog since 6/2009

Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    ROM
    BAMF Paradigm 2.x

Quote Originally Posted by nathan_arizona View Post
    ... go into menu>settings>date and time>uncheck automatic>change the date and time to 3 months, 3 days, and 3 years in advanced>go back out to the main screen like you are going to make a phone call>dial *#*#2432546#*#* and you should see “check-in succeeded”>go into your menu>settings>check for updates.

Tried it, no go.
    Was unable to advance year, anytime I tried it reset to current date/time. I am able to change the day and month though.
    Set date in December, checked in; no HTC software or firmware updates.

As I understand it, this check in procedure can work to get the update once it has gone OTA but your phone has not yet received the pop-up stating there is an update.
    Not sure if advancing the date is needed though.

P.S.
    Just don't set it to 12/21/12 'cause you might kick off the end of the world a bit early.

Edit: fixed EOW date.
    Last edited by sunriseshell; 07-17-2012 at 10:24 AM.

Global Posts
    1,797 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by sunriseshell View Post
    Tried it, no go.
    Was unable to advance year, anytime I tried it reset to current time. Can change day and month though.
    Set date in December, checked in; no HTC software or firmware updates.

As I understand it, this check in procedure can work to get the update once it has gone OTA but your phone has not yet received the pop-up stating there is an update.
    Not sure if advancing the date is needed though.

P.S.
    Just don't set it to 12/12/12 'cause you might kick off the end of the world a bit early.
    Tried it also,i got the time and everything to change,but it didnt say any update was available. And oh no.! :O

Well, traded in the evo 3d. Dam the update. The white evo 4G is sweet. They made me do what I was going to do anyway in 2 weeks.

Sent from my EVO 4g lte

The only reason why I'm waiting this craziness out, is that I refuse to upgrade to a lte phone that doesn't have LTE support as of yet. I'm not sure when NYC will get LTE _ so for the time being...I'm okay using Sprint Wimax 4g on my Evo 3d - in addition with the long awaited Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) upgrade. ()
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by Rush Lindsay View Post
    The only reason why I'm waiting this craziness out, is that I refuse to upgrade to a lte phone that doesn't have LTE support as of yet. I'm not sure when NYC will get LTE _ so for the time being...I'm okay using Sprint Wimax 4g on my Evo 3d - in addition with the long awaited Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) upgrade. ()
    At least you have WiMax...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    ROM
    BAMF Paradigm 2.x

Quote Originally Posted by herkeng130 View Post
    At least you have WiMax...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
    +1 on that. No WiMax, no LTE in my area. Who knows when we'll get 4G here. :-(

This evo lte is my third 4g phone and I am yet to have any 4g service of any kind. I have been with sprint for over 12 years and other then that I have had nothing but great service from them. I pretty much think my 3g service is plenty fast enough but at least I have something to look forward to when they flip the switch here in the Boston /Providence area. If I did not get the latest phones because of 4g service I would be still using my garbage palm pre.

Sent from my EVO 4g lte
    Thanked by:

So did we get Eclair,"I mean" Froyo(whoops), a Gingerbread(maybe), ICS or Jelly Bean yet? I love having a phone that is behind 2 operating systems. It is like having a brand new computer with Windows 98 on it. So, we are getting ICS finally on a device that was top of the line just a year ago, even though ICS has been out, what 9 months. So in August will will get ICS, wow (sarcasm), now we are only 1 operating system behind. I am about to give up on Android and move to the dark side (Apple). I never thought I would think about doing this, but I hate that Android is too fragmented. At least at Apple, everyone gets the new operating system, unless their device is over 2 years old. Time will only tell if I stay or do I go. I use to love Android so much, now I am growing tired of it.

Global Posts
    1,797 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by dfine1966 View Post
    So did we get Eclair,"I mean" Froyo(whoops), a Gingerbread(maybe), ICS or Jelly Bean yet? I love having a phone that is behind 2 operating systems. It is like having a brand new computer with Windows 98 on it. So, we are getting ICS finally on a device that was top of the line just a year ago, even though ICS has been out, what 9 months. So in August will will get ICS, wow (sarcasm), now we are only 1 operating system behind. I am about to give up on Android and move to the dark side (Apple). I never thought I would think about doing this, but I hate that Android is too fragmented. At least at Apple, everyone gets the new operating system, unless their device is over 2 years old. Time will only tell if I stay or do I go. I use to love Android so much, now I am growing tired of it.
    That tiny screen aint gonna get you far my friend.
    Thanked by:
    VickMackey#AC and GTAFan9999 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SenseMonkey View Post
    That tiny screen aint gonna get you far my friend.
    The new iPhone screen size is supposedly bigger at 4.0 instead of 3.5. If I do go, I will miss Widgets(all types). I like my EVO 3D but I am getting tired of it. I haven't really seen a phone that excites with anything new and innovative. As I said, I am weighing my options and still undecided. LTE is suppose to hit my area starting in October and the latest December. I won't buy a new phone until LTE is in my area. I have great WiMax in my area, so I am in no rush. I would just love some uniformity in operating systems. If Google releases an new operating system, each company should have access to it, and must be mandated to update all phones within a reasonable time table. Imagine getting Jelly Bean right when it is released by Google. What a concept.

Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    ROM
    BAMF Paradigm 2.x

Quote Originally Posted by dfine1966 View Post
    You think you are getting tired of Android, try going back to iOS.

There once was a time when iOS was leading the pack. That time is gone, and history repeats itself. Just like Apple in the 90's, they are getting passed by the OS that licenses out to anybody. Open licensing allows many manufacturers to make devices, creating competition. And competition fosters innovation. We would not have the Gnex, or the amazing new phones 4G LTE/One X and GSIII without this competition. Now it's true not all Android devices will be winners. However having so many devices means there will be many winners, and many solid players.
    Having Android around will help push Apple to compete, making their products better. Who knows, maybe they'll get another home run. God knows they need it after the underwhelming 4s. Apple's monochrome ecosystem is really slowing them down in the phone and mobile OS development department. They are so desperate they are grabbing at straws, resorting to suing everybody just to try to slow down the competition.

Speaking of lawsuits did anybody see the news?
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

Just wondering how many people in here were former palm pre owners? Because, honestly this "delay" in getting ICS doesn't feel like much at all to me. NOBODY in the smartphone world has gotten burned as badly as Sprint pre owners were.

I was a day one pre owner and I did not wait around to get burned by palm. When first evo came out i jumped ship. I still go over to other forum now And then for a good laugh on how many of the same people are still waiting for word on a new device over 2 years later. Lol lol

Sent from my EVO 4g lte
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast