ICS for the Sprint Evo 3d.

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
So did we get Eclair,"I mean" Froyo(whoops), a Gingerbread(maybe), ICS or Jelly Bean yet? I love having a phone that is behind 2 operating systems. It is like having a brand new computer with Windows 98 on it. So, we are getting ICS finally on a device that was top of the line just a year ago, even though ICS has been out, what 9 months. So in August will will get ICS, wow (sarcasm), now we are only 1 operating system behind. I am about to give up on Android and move to the dark side (Apple). I never thought I would think about doing this, but I hate that Android is too fragmented. At least at Apple, everyone gets the new operating system, unless their device is over 2 years old. Time will only tell if I stay or do I go. I use to love Android so much, now I am growing tired of it.

That tiny screen aint gonna get you far my friend.

Reactions: pergerson6

dfine1966

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Ics for the Sprint Evo 3d.

That tiny screen aint gonna get you far my friend.

The new iPhone screen size is supposedly bigger at 4.0 instead of 3.5. If I do go, I will miss Widgets(all types). I like my EVO 3D but I am getting tired of it. I haven't really seen a phone that excites with anything new and innovative. As I said, I am weighing my options and still undecided. LTE is suppose to hit my area starting in October and the latest December. I won't buy a new phone until LTE is in my area. I have great WiMax in my area, so I am in no rush. I would just love some uniformity in operating systems. If Google releases an new operating system, each company should have access to it, and must be mandated to update all phones within a reasonable time table. Imagine getting Jelly Bean right when it is released by Google. What a concept.

sunriseshell

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

So did we get Eclair,"I mean" Froyo(whoops), a Gingerbread(maybe), ICS or Jelly Bean yet? I love having a phone that is behind 2 operating systems. It is like having a brand new computer with Windows 98 on it. So, we are getting ICS finally on a device that was top of the line just a year ago, even though ICS has been out, what 9 months. So in August will will get ICS, wow (sarcasm), now we are only 1 operating system behind. I am about to give up on Android and move to the dark side (Apple). I never thought I would think about doing this, but I hate that Android is too fragmented. At least at Apple, everyone gets the new operating system, unless their device is over 2 years old. Time will only tell if I stay or do I go. I use to love Android so much, now I am growing tired of it.

You think you are getting tired of Android, try going back to iOS.

There once was a time when iOS was leading the pack. That time is gone, and history repeats itself. Just like Apple in the 90's, they are getting passed by the OS that licenses out to anybody. Open licensing allows many manufacturers to make devices, creating competition. And competition fosters innovation. We would not have the Gnex, or the amazing new phones 4G LTE/One X and GSIII without this competition. Now it's true not all Android devices will be winners. However having so many devices means there will be many winners, and many solid players.
Having Android around will help push Apple to compete, making their products better. Who knows, maybe they'll get another home run. God knows they need it after the underwhelming 4s. Apple's monochrome ecosystem is really slowing them down in the phone and mobile OS development department. They are so desperate they are grabbing at straws, resorting to suing everybody just to try to slow down the competition.

Speaking of lawsuits did anybody see the news?;)

Reactions: pergerson6

anon(285475)

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering how many people in here were former palm pre owners? Because, honestly this "delay" in getting ICS doesn't feel like much at all to me. NOBODY in the smartphone world has gotten burned as badly as Sprint pre owners were.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I was a day one pre owner and I did not wait around to get burned by palm. When first evo came out i jumped ship. I still go over to other forum now And then for a good laugh on how many of the same people are still waiting for word on a new device over 2 years later. Lol lol

Sent from my EVO 4g lte

sunriseshell

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

I waited a year to get the PRE. I really liked WebOS, I really think it could have been something. Jumped ship when the 3VO cam out and never looked back.

Comparing the ICS wait to the Palm/HP PRE 2/3 wait sure does put things into perspective!

VickMackey#AC

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site

If you would consider an iphone, then you clearly haven't tapped into what makes Android far superior in many ways. If you want faster updates, for the last time, buy an unlocked Nexus device.

VickMackey#AC

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site

I was a day one pre owner and I did not wait around to get burned by palm. When first evo came out i jumped ship. I still go over to other forum now And then for a good laugh on how many of the same people are still waiting for word on a new device over 2 years later. Lol lol

Sent from my EVO 4g lte

Those people over there are delusional fanatics. Trying so hard for something that never was or will be. What puzzles me is that there is something better, out right now and has features webOS likely will never have. It's called Android 4.1.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site

I read this post, and several of the responses to it, and my first thought was "WTH? And on an Android forum too???" lol! And then, I was thinking of how to try to convince you of how that was a bad idea - but - I must admit, you are (at least) partly correct.

Here's where I disagree:
  • On iOS, almost every new OS version will bring features (not getting into a debate about how most of those features already exist in Android) that will be available for their latest device and perhaps with the previous gen device. In most cases, the previous gen device will get a crippled version of the OS (certain features won't work even though hardware fully supports it - Siri on iPhone 4).
  • Options: Jailbreak it - but what I've seen on devices that went thru' jailbreak is that they became slower/laggy and it broke other functionality.
  • On Android, if an app isn't available for the new features, there is a very strong likelihood that you will find a ROM that will provide those features, and will almost certainly get you better performance (not make it laggy/slower)

Here's where I agree with you though: (deep breath)
Even with a Nexus device (unless you get a GSM device), you won't get updates when google releases it. With CDMA carriers in the US, your updates to your Nexus device depend on when your carrier gets around to it. (look at the recent Verizon fiasco - several months after other Nexus devices - and Verizon Nexus didn't have the updates!)

Google/Carriers claim that it is because of proprietary CDMA radios. I say BS. Apple uses the same radios on their CDMA phones, and they make sure that their (current) devices get updated on the same day. It is just because Apple squeezes the carrier's balls harder than google does. (and before somebody claims that it is because of LTE radios, whenever iphone gets LTE, it is very likely that Apple will still make sure that all their phones get software updates at the same time)

Will I switch to iOS? Very unlikely.
  • Apps like tasker,
  • immense customization options on Android,
  • the freedom to install apps from anywhere (including ones from tasker app factory that I can generate for myself),
  • ability to control what apps can communicate with the internet (root),
  • freedom to choose from more than one device/form factor,
  • freedom to choose which app to use by default for web browsing
  • <list can go on and on, but you get the idea>
make it unlikely that I would switch to iOS (despite the software update issue with Android devices)

dfine1966

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for taking this thread in another direction. I just want my phones to have the latest and greatest., but sometimes the only way to get this is either root (which I don't do) or buy a new phone. I failed to mention that I have switched all of my family's computers to Apple, and switching over to IOS might make everything smoother from pictures (iCloud), music (iTunes Music Match), etc. Maybe I am looking for an excuse to change. Again, I apologize for taking this thread off it's original purpose.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site

Sorry for taking this thread in another direction. I just want my phones to have the latest and greatest., but sometimes the only way to get this is either root (which I don't do) or buy a new phone. I failed to mention that I have switched all of my family's computers to Apple, and switching over to IOS might make everything smoother from pictures (iCloud), music (iTunes Music Match), etc. Maybe I am looking for an excuse to change. Again, I apologize for taking this thread off it's original purpose.

The latest and greatest - but not necessarily the best?

Naaaaaaah.... just kidding :)
(thank you for not getting into that argument about which is best)

If iOS serves your purpose, absolutely - go for it! (if you are already in the process of switching over to the Apple ecosystem, looks like your mind is almost completely made up about switching your phone as well).

Enjoy your phone - whatever it ends up being ;)

In the meantime, we shall eagerly await the delayed OTA OS update that will still not get us to the latest and greatest that google has to offer!

Roustermiller

May 13, 2010
Visit site

Got my pre the day it came out also. but as soon as I seem the Evo 4G I was in love so pre-ordered it the first chance I got.

Juanito216

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
People complain about android fragmentation but don't have a Nexus. One thing is not knowing of a Nexus, but another thing is knowing of it, buying a non Nexus then complain. If a person likes faster updates buy an unlocked Nexus or, root.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: VickMackey#AC

dizzle16

May 4, 2011
Visit site
People complain about android fragmentation but don't have a Nexus. One thing is not knowing of a Nexus, but another thing is knowing of it, buying a non Nexus then complain. If a person likes faster updates buy an unlocked Nexus or, root.

The man got a point

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site

I personally dont care for a samsung,i prefer my htc.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Personally, my kid has toy phones that feel more solid then Samsung phones. I think they are flimsy. That's my opinion on them. As for anything in life to each his/her own. It's good there are so many choices because variety is the spice of life.

Sent from my EVO 4g lte

sunriseshell

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

I've only been on Android for a little over a year. Feels like I never used webOS. Wow, what a difference a year makes.
Same here. Got the 3VO on day 1.
Am so glad Sprint did NOT get Pre 2 or 3. Even the flagship phone (Pre 3) was outdated well before release. I would have blindly went the WebOS way. I wouldn't have tried Android and figured out just what I was missing.

pergerson6

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Same here. Got the 3VO on day 1.
Am so glad Sprint did NOT get Pre 2 or 3. Even the flagship phone (Pre 3) was outdated well before release. I would have blindly went the WebOS way. I wouldn't have tried Android and figured out just what I was missing.

Palm phones are perhaps the worst phones ever created.

Reactions: zmann