ICS for the Sprint Evo 3d.

trinamorgan88

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
I have a question...I am really interested in getting a Nexus...but was wondering if getting OTA updates pushed from Google is only the case with unlocked GSM version...if I get the CDMA Sprint version, am I still at mercy of Sprint for updates like Jelly Bean?

Thanks

This is a very good question that I was considering posting on the Galaxy Nexus forums. I do have an upgrade available and the Galaxy Nexus is priced at $99 on Amazon.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk 2

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I have a question...I am really interested in getting a Nexus...but was wondering if getting OTA updates pushed from Google is only the case with unlocked GSM version...if I get the CDMA Sprint version, am I still at mercy of Sprint for updates like Jelly Bean?

Thanks

The Sprint/Verizon Galaxy Nexus phones do take a little longer to get updates, but not that much longer. Plus the option of custom ROMs gives you almost instant access to any update the GSM Galaxy Nexus gets.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

srs1578

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: Ics for the Sprint Evo 3d.

I emailed sprint yesterday about being angry about ics not being pushed to e3d....And asked why wr haven't got it yet... Here is the reply... On Jul 7, 2012 10:56 AM, "Dan@sprint.com" <Dan@sprint.com> wrote: > > Dear Mr.Stewart, > > Thank you for contacting Dan@Sprint.com. > > I am in receipt of your email and I would like to speak with you over > the phone. However your email didn’t have your Sprint number or account > number for me to speak with you to address your concerns. > > If you can please email me your contact number or I can be reached at > 757-223-3860.My office hours for next week is Monday-Thursday from 11:00 > am-8:00 pm &Friday from 11:00 am-3:00 pm EST. or just reply to this > email. > > Thank you again for contacting Dan@Sprint.com. > > Sincerely, > Prudence H. > 757-223-3860 > Sprint

srs1578

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site

Just spoke with Sprint and just like the rest of you they told me it was still in the testing phase....Sounds like a load of crap to me...

radroider

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site

I emailed sprint yesterday about being angry about ics not being pushed to e3d....And asked why wr haven't got it yet... Here is the reply... On Jul 7, 2012 10:56 AM, "Dan@sprint.com" <Dan@sprint.com> wrote: > > Dear Mr.Stewart, > > Thank you for contacting Dan@Sprint.com. > > I am in receipt of your email and I would like to speak with you over > the phone. However your email didn?t have your Sprint number or account > number for me to speak with you to address your concerns. > > If you can please email me your contact number or I can be reached at > 757-223-3860.My office hours for next week is Monday-Thursday from 11:00 > am-8:00 pm &Friday from 11:00 am-3:00 pm EST. or just reply to this > email. > > Thank you again for contacting Dan@Sprint.com. > > Sincerely, > Prudence H. > 757-223-3860 > Sprint

I got the same response to my e-mail, which was nicely worded and not angry. But when they responded with that.. I gave them my number but said "If this is a courtesy call to apologize for inconvenience or blame HTC, I rather not waste my time. "

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site

Thanks

Sadly, the answer is "yes, you do have to depend on Sprint for official updates"
Google doesn't provide the radio (and other CDMA specific software) along with the OS. That is integrated by Sprint (and Verizon), and sadly, that does mean that our updates are delayed (compared to GSM updates that are controlled solely by Google).

Having said that, I must add that even delayed Nexus updates usually appear before the updates appear on non-nexus sprint phones. (and with the easiest rooting method, flashing a custom ROM with the latest OS is usually very easy/quick - JB ROMs are already available for Nexus)

Tron#AC

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site

Is it just me or is anyone else surprised that corporate greed hasn't thought
of putting OS upgrades in the Google play and want to charge everyone 9.99 to upgrade our phone? I'll bet if they were doing that ICS would have been available months ago for the EVO 3D.

Chuckles 135

May 19, 2011
Visit site

With all the problems I've been hearing about other updates that have gone out on the international Evo 3D I'm personally glad Sprint hasn't released their's yet. I will say this about Sprint they take a long time to get updates out but once they do release them. The updates usually end up working pretty well with only a few minor problems. I'm willing to wait a little longer for my update if it means that I don't end up with a phone that has all kinds of problems and then wait again while Sprint scrambles to get a fix put out.

So in other words people that just have to have ICS, root your phone and put it on there. Then once the official update comes out unroot and update away. Otherwise take a Valium, a shot of Jose Quervo and relax. As for me I'm gonna go grab an ICS out of my freezer and enjoy it, after all this heat I freaking deserve it.

trinamorgan88

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
With all the problems I've been hearing about other updates that have gone out on the international Evo 3D I'm personally glad Sprint hasn't released their's yet. I will say this about Sprint they take a long time to get updates out but once they do release them. The updates usually end up working pretty well with only a few minor problems. I'm willing to wait a little longer for my update if it means that I don't end up with a phone that has all kinds of problems and then wait again while Sprint scrambles to get a fix put out.

So in other words people that just have to have ICS, root your phone and put it on there. Then once the official update comes out unroot and update away. Otherwise take a Valium, a shot of Jose Quervo and relax. As for me I'm gonna go grab an ICS out of my freezer and enjoy it, after all this heat I freaking deserve it.

This is very true. But, if this is the case, how about informing us.

FrostyGTA

May 30, 2011
Visit site

This is very true. But, if this is the case, how about informing us.

Because the same people that are complaining that there's no info or ETA on release will then whine if/when Sprint pushes the date back due to more testing. It's a no win situation when it comes to cell phone nerds.

FrostyGTA

May 30, 2011
Visit site

Yes, I'm here for support and info, not to post a million different threads whining and complaining. The damn OS will come out when it comes out, crying like school girls won't make it happen any faster...and if Sprint were to release it early and there were some problems people would still cry. I work with the public in the auto industry, damned if you do and damned if you don't...the cell phone market is no different.

Reactions: makris0000

P_M_G

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site

with the variety of ICS ROMs out there, who cares if we get an "official" ICS update?

Root your phones and get out from under the thumb of the Man that's keeping stuff from you because He thinks you'll get frustrated and buy a new phone.

I don't know where it's written in stone that any manufacturer or carrier is required to update any of their phones. If it's not, then all this bellyaching and crying about corporate greed is just BS.

Think about it...when a new OS comes out for the PC many of you are typing on - do you get it FREE? Last I saw, I had to pay to go from Vista to WIN7....or from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion (really?)

Besides, with JB set to drop (and already in AOSP) as soon as you get ICS you'll all be complaining about why you don't have JB yet.

ROOT AND BE FREE!!

Reactions: pergerson6

pergerson6

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Well said sir! I'm still on zr3d gingerbread, and personally there is no ics Rom that is better. Ics is not what everyone is making it out to be.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

trinamorgan88

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
with the variety of ICS ROMs out there, who cares if we get an "official" ICS update?

Root your phones and get out from under the thumb of the Man that's keeping stuff from you because He thinks you'll get frustrated and buy a new phone.

I don't know where it's written in stone that any manufacturer or carrier is required to update any of their phones. If it's not, then all this bellyaching and crying about corporate greed is just BS.

Think about it...when a new OS comes out for the PC many of you are typing on - do you get it FREE? Last I saw, I had to pay to go from Vista to WIN7....or from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion (really?)

Besides, with JB set to drop (and already in AOSP) as soon as you get ICS you'll all be complaining about why you don't have JB yet.

ROOT AND BE FREE!!

Oh, stop it.

The point of rooting is not the point here. Everyone doesn't choose to root there phone. In fact, if I did, lots of people say that the leak from Virgin Mobile is not stable.

The point is its that the upgrade has been released on every other carrier out there but Sprint. Especially on the prepaid EVO V on Virgin Mobile. That's the point.

pergerson6

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
But sprint likes to screw there customers over by forcing to upgrade to get what they want. The update is there they just aren't releasing it. That's why were saying just root and be happy being able to go back and forth between the UI's.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay