ICS for the Sprint Evo 3d.

Spectre130

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
Re: Ics for the Sprint Evo 3d.

One of "Dan's" men just called me back in response to my email. That phone call I think pissed me off more than anything else. The guy basically said your area will get LTE when you get it in your area and your devise will be upgraded to ICS "soon". What was the point of the phone call if they are just going to beat around the bush and say absolutely nothing.

He told me that they were still doing testing to make sure that the product would be good to go (while they have phones already being pushed to 4.1.1) I asked him if Virgin Mobile was a subsidiary of Sprint, He said yes. I asked him if they had the same exact phone but branded the Evo V 4g? He said Yes... I asked him what version of Android that they were running...He said ICS. I asked him how long it has been since they have been running ICS on the Evo V? He said he didn't know...I said that they shipped the 'V' with ICS out of the box... He said "oh".

We talked about my frustration living in the US's 6th largest city and with exception of a few small test sites, WIMAX has been non-existent even though Sprin't plan was to have the country's largest areas covered a year ago. Area's like Eugene Or. and Boise Id. have had 4G for a while now...They have more users than San Diego? He told me that they like to roll it out and test before it goes to the larger cities. I then asked him to tell me the areas who were first on the WiMax roll out and Who will be first on the 4G LTE roll out. He got quiet again... I told him that they were always in the larger tech centered areas of the country, Dallas, Atlanta and so forth.

"Sprint is fully engaged with our software team and are thoroughly testing the software in efforts to avoid any launch failures." The Evo 3D seems to be one of Sprints largest launch failures and that is why thy stopped selling them and it has been put on the back burner as far as updates go ( but they seem perfectly fine with still selling the poor old and tired Hero)

Yes, I know I can root and re rom the phone, that is not the point. I have done that on my prior Android phones.

I knew that they would not tell me any new information. Sprint overall has a good product and great prices (for the unlimited data and family plans) but they can not have anyone on their team who is knowledgeable in product strategy. Sprint rolls out more cutting edge and first to market products, then gives them absolutely no support then lets them die. How on earth does that keep anyone loyal to your brand? If you no longer are able to trust what they are saying when the product comes out...They over hype the products and then let them belly flop.

Dear So and so

Thank you for contacting Dan@Sprint.com. It was a pleasure speaking with you today, Wednesday, July 11, 2012 at 4:42pm EST regarding the upcoming launch of the Android Ice Cream Sandwich software update. As I mentioned during our conversation, Sprint is fully engaged with our software team and are thoroughly testing the software in efforts to avoid any launch failures. At this time, we do not have a definitive release date, however; it is expected that the software will be available for launch very soon.

If you have any additional billing, equipment or coverage issues, my office hours this week will be Monday through Thursday, 11:00am ? 8:00pm EST, Friday, 11:00am ? 3:00pm EST. I can be reached at 757-223-3972 or you can reply to this email. Thank you for contacting Sprint.

We value your business and appreciate the opportunity to answer your questions. Please reply to this email or visit sprint.com if we can be of assistance.

Sincerely,
Timothy B.
757-223-3972
Sprint

Original Message Follows:
------------------------
Dan,

I am very frustrated with Sprint at the moment. First off, the lack of 4G (first it was Wimax, now LTE) is virtually non-existent. I have had a 4G phone for going on two years and have had a 4G signal for all of 10 min total. What is the need for pushing out phones that are incapable of utilizing their basic functionality?

I have been waiting on Android 4.0 (ICS) for a while and every carrier who has the EVO 3D has been updated to ICS except for Sprint. I can see this as nothing more than corporate greed (And I do not throw that around lightly). That in itself makes no sense at all. You force members to extend their updates from one year to 20 months?then drop support for the phones just after a year of ownership. How does that
make a loyal user? That only forces the user to do one of three things, Buy a non-subsidized phone at a much higher price, beg for an update early, or just sit on their hands and steam. None of these three outcomes makes for a loyal and happy user. The only thing that makes me want to do is switch
providers. True, they all have long upgrade timelines but Sprint supports their phones the least out of any of the top companies. If you have the update for the phone, why would you not push it out? I know for a fact that Sprint has a well defined and functioning version of ICS for the HTC EVO 3D. Support your own products and your customers will be happy they stayed with you. I have been fighting the ?Sprint is the best carrier out there? Fight for three years now but more and more I am losing faith in you and your lack up update support. I know that this problem is with Sprint and not HTC. With Jelly Bean Android 4.1 out now, we are effectively two updates behind. I have four phones on my account, all Android, all purchased within the same window and only one phone (the Nexus S) has been upgraded to 4.0. The only one I want 4.0 on seems that it will be the last to update. That is sad being that the EVO 3D was Sprint?s flagship just a few months ago?

I am currently looking at what other providers would best suit my needs.

Do the right thing and push to us the EVO 3D ICS Update now.

sunriseshell

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

It's crazy how fast Verizon's network is compared to Sprint. If there plans weren't so expensive I would have been gone.
S...I have no incentive to stay with them, for they've already taken away the ability for those who have had them for 10 years to upgrade annually.
I too miss the annual upgrade. BUT like pergerson6 said above, other plans and carriers are more expensive. Especially compared to my grandfathered in Everything Family plan. There is nothing that comes close in price including new plans from Sprint. I could pay WAY more for LESS data, min and texts if I switched. No thanks.

trinamorgan88

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
One of "Dan's" men just called me back in response to my email. That phone call I think pissed me off more than anything else. The guy basically said your area will get LTE when you get it in your area and your devise will be upgraded to ICS "soon". What was the point of the phone call if they are just going to beat around the bush and say absolutely nothing.

He told me that they were still doing testing to make sure that the product would be good to go (while they have phones already being pushed to 4.1.1) I asked him if Virgin Mobile was a subsidiary of Sprint, He said yes. I asked him if they had the same exact phone but branded the Evo V 4g? He said Yes... I asked him what version of Android that they were running...He said ICS. I asked him how long it has been since they have been running ICS on the Evo V? He said he didn't know...I said that they shipped the 'V' with ICS out of the box... He said "oh".

We talked about my frustration living in the US's 6th largest city and with exception of a few small test sites, WIMAX has been non-existent even though Sprin't plan was to have the country's largest areas covered a year ago. Area's like Eugene Or. and Boise Id. have had 4G for a while now...They have more users than San Diego? He told me that they like to roll it out and test before it goes to the larger cities. I then asked him to tell me the areas who were first on the WiMax roll out and Who will be first on the 4G LTE roll out. He got quiet again... I told him that they were always in the larger tech centered areas of the country, Dallas, Atlanta and so forth.

"Sprint is fully engaged with our software team and are thoroughly testing the software in efforts to avoid any launch failures." The Evo 3D seems to be one of Sprints largest launch failures and that is why thy stopped selling them and it has been put on the back burner as far as updates go ( but they seem perfectly fine with still selling the poor old and tired Hero)

Yes, I know I can root and re rom the phone, that is not the point. I have done that on my prior Android phones.

I knew that they would not tell me any new information. Sprint overall has a good product and great prices (for the unlimited data and family plans) but they can not have anyone on their team who is knowledgeable in product strategy. Sprint rolls out more cutting edge and first to market products, then gives them absolutely no support then lets them die. How on earth does that keep anyone loyal to your brand? If you no longer are able to trust what they are saying when the product comes out...They over hype the products and then let them belly flop.

Dear So and so

Thank you for contacting Dan@Sprint.com. It was a pleasure speaking with you today, Wednesday, July 11, 2012 at 4:42pm EST regarding the upcoming launch of the Android Ice Cream Sandwich software update. As I mentioned during our conversation, Sprint is fully engaged with our software team and are thoroughly testing the software in efforts to avoid any launch failures. At this time, we do not have a definitive release date, however; it is expected that the software will be available for launch very soon.

If you have any additional billing, equipment or coverage issues, my office hours this week will be Monday through Thursday, 11:00am ? 8:00pm EST, Friday, 11:00am ? 3:00pm EST. I can be reached at 757-223-3972 or you can reply to this email. Thank you for contacting Sprint.

We value your business and appreciate the opportunity to answer your questions. Please reply to this email or visit sprint.com if we can be of assistance.

Sincerely,
Timothy B.
757-223-3972
Sprint

Original Message Follows:
------------------------
Dan,

I am very frustrated with Sprint at the moment. First off, the lack of 4G (first it was Wimax, now LTE) is virtually non-existent. I have had a 4G phone for going on two years and have had a 4G signal for all of 10 min total. What is the need for pushing out phones that are incapable of utilizing their basic functionality?

I have been waiting on Android 4.0 (ICS) for a while and every carrier who has the EVO 3D has been updated to ICS except for Sprint. I can see this as nothing more than corporate greed (And I do not throw that around lightly). That in itself makes no sense at all. You force members to extend their updates from one year to 20 months?then drop support for the phones just after a year of ownership. How does that
make a loyal user? That only forces the user to do one of three things, Buy a non-subsidized phone at a much higher price, beg for an update early, or just sit on their hands and steam. None of these three outcomes makes for a loyal and happy user. The only thing that makes me want to do is switch
providers. True, they all have long upgrade timelines but Sprint supports their phones the least out of any of the top companies. If you have the update for the phone, why would you not push it out? I know for a fact that Sprint has a well defined and functioning version of ICS for the HTC EVO 3D. Support your own products and your customers will be happy they stayed with you. I have been fighting the ?Sprint is the best carrier out there? Fight for three years now but more and more I am losing faith in you and your lack up update support. I know that this problem is with Sprint and not HTC. With Jelly Bean Android 4.1 out now, we are effectively two updates behind. I have four phones on my account, all Android, all purchased within the same window and only one phone (the Nexus S) has been upgraded to 4.0. The only one I want 4.0 on seems that it will be the last to update. That is sad being that the EVO 3D was Sprint?s flagship just a few months ago?

I am currently looking at what other providers would best suit my needs.

Do the right thing and push to us the EVO 3D ICS Update now.

I'm working on a letter, even got a friend of mine to put it on a blog. Truly, I'm accepting that the only way I'm going to see ICS is get a new phone. Did they offer you anything for waiting?

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk 2

Spectre130

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site

I'm working on a letter, even got a friend of mine to put it on a blog. Truly, I'm accepting that the only way I'm going to see ICS is get a new phone. Did they offer you anything for waiting?

No but I also didn't ask.

They could give me an early upgrade I am sure...but I do not want to pay $200 for the privilege to get a new phone. I want the phone I already payed $200 for not to be obsolete in 3 months. It is a principle thing.

trinamorgan88

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
No but I also didn't ask.

They could give me an early upgrade I am sure...but I do not want to pay $200 for the privilege to get a new phone. I want the phone I already payed $200 for not to be obsolete in 3 months. It is a principle thing.

Fully understand and agree. There were some rumors on letting people out of there contract but I can't see it.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Have a friend who went into a corporate sprint store with his old brokern evo. His upgrade is in October. They gave it to him yesterday. They said if people are close tell them to go to a corporate store and we will upgrade them. Im going Friday.

EVO-LUTION 3D

murraca

May 18, 2011
Visit site

That may be fine, but it's not just the phone you have to replace. As do most of us, I have a lot of accessories for my E3D that cost quite a bit (car dock and a couple of desktop docks), all of which I would need to replace if I get a new phone. Just give me the upgrade that was promised. Not too much to ask.

bobodobo

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

Why is ICS so important? I'm rooted s-off and running MeanROM ICS but if I had to go back to GB MeanROM, CleanROM, BeanROM or whatever for some reason I wouldn't be heartbroken. ICS is a little nicer that GB but it's no silver bullet, in fact there are things I like better about GB. And I haven't noticed any massive speed or battery life improvements, if there is some it's pretty minimal.

Reactions: pergerson6

ianmac23

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site

Why is ICS so important? I'm rooted s-off and running MeanROM ICS but if I had to go back to GB MeanROM, CleanROM, BeanROM or whatever for some reason I wouldn't be heartbroken. ICS is a little nicer that GB but it's no silver bullet, in fact there are things I like better about GB. And I haven't noticed any massive speed or battery life improvements, if there is some it's pretty minimal.

I have a couple apps that I use that require ICS for additional functionality

trinamorgan88

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site

The point is that it's one every other EVO 3D in the world. Including the EVO V 4G on Sprint's network.

Reactions: zmann

pergerson6

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
The point is that it's one every other EVO 3D in the world. Including the EVO V 4G on Sprint's network.

And the V is virgin mobile's top phone and Sprint has the EVO lte and sgs3 that's why they won't upgrade.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Spectre130

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site

My problem again isn't so much me needing or wanting ICS right now, it again is about principle. My frustration is two-fold. I can root and have rooted in the past. Basically it is like this, Say Sprint is your car dealer and if you happen to buy a car from them you have to drive on their roads that they either build or lease themselves. So you go into the dealer and you buy a Koenigsegg CCR based on the word from the dealer that they will fix the roads to be able to compete with the best roads in the land (4G, WiMax or LTE). So, you sit in the driveway and wait and occasionally putter the fast as hell car down a pothole ridden half paved and half dirt road (3G) but you are patient and you wait. Then after your able to upgrade, you pay your money, again on the promise that Sprint will fix the road in your area so you buy another super car...and you wait. This time they say they will throw in free engine tune ups (Android version Upgrades) so you wait at the dealer and while you are waiting, you notice that everyone with newer and already more up to date cars are getting their tuneups faster than you and being bumped to the front of the line...

So I can beg for the privilege to buy another super car before my "upgrade", I can do the tune up myself but still have to deal with the crappy roads (root), or I can wait and hold the dealer and owner of the roads accountable to their words and be frustrated that they have not delivered on their word, yet. I like to make people accountable to their word and promises. That is just who I am.

Again, it is about principle.

VickMackey#AC

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site

My problem again isn't so much me needing or wanting ICS right now, it again is about principle. My frustration is two-fold. I can root and have rooted in the past. Basically it is like this, Say Sprint is your car dealer and if you happen to buy a car from them you have to drive on their roads that they either build or lease themselves. So you go into the dealer and you buy a Koenigsegg CCR based on the word from the dealer that they will fix the roads to be able to compete with the best roads in the land (4G, WiMax or LTE). So, you sit in the driveway and wait and occasionally putter the fast as hell car down a pothole ridden half paved and half dirt road (3G) but you are patient and you wait. Then after your able to upgrade, you pay your money, again on the promise that Sprint will fix the road in your area so you buy another super car...and you wait. This time they say they will throw in free engine tune ups (Android version Upgrades) so you wait at the dealer and while you are waiting, you notice that everyone with newer and already more up to date cars are getting their tuneups faster than you and being bumped to the front of the line...

So I can beg for the privilege to buy another super car before my "upgrade", I can do the tune up myself but still have to deal with the crappy roads (root), or I can wait and hold the dealer and owner of the roads accountable to their words and be frustrated that they have not delivered on their word, yet. I like to make people accountable to their word and promises. That is just who I am.

Again, it is about principle.

I get the frustration and you do seem quite incensed. So it would be crazy for you to purchase another HTC device, right? Even crazier to purchase a Samsung, if you care this deeply about updates.

Do what I plan to do and ease your frustrations. Make this your last non Nexus device. Sense is awful and update delays are just something I don't want to deal with. Sprint will get the next Nexus and that's my next phone.

Spectre130

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site

I get the frustration and you do seem quite incensed. So it would be crazy for you to purchase another HTC device, right? Even crazier to purchase a Samsung, if you care this deeply about updates.

Do what I plan to do and ease your frustrations. Make this your last non Nexus device. Sense is awful and update delays are just something I don't want to deal with. Sprint will get the next Nexus and that's my next phone.
Honestly, I do not see San Diego (and the northern part where I live and work) getting LTE for a LONG time, so I am not in a rush to get an LTE phone. Hell, I have had a WiMax phone (2) for going on 2+ years now. with zero ability to connect to a WiMax sig. My frustration isn't what phone to get in the future, it is why the hell haven't they fixed or given us what they have promised.

The problem is though using my analogy from above, I could switch to another dealer to get the faster roads in my area...but I would have to stop and pay tolls on top of the already expensive privilege to drive fast on them...

My HTC devise is fine, I like it a lot. It just has unused potential. A museum car if you will. Sure they look great, and have the engine in great shape...but it just can't drive. If I had to upgrade right now it would be to the E4GLTE over the GSIII but the Nexus does solve one of my problems...but see, that is Google, not Sprint. If Sprint had their way, they would keep them behind the line as well.

Reactions: trinamorgan88

trinamorgan88

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site

The only way I would buy a Nexus device is direct upgrades from Google.

dizzle16

May 4, 2011
Visit site

Samsung g2 got it today. I so will not forget this sprint. If there's no LTE in Cleveland in feburary they can watch me walk

Reactions: cosmos0001

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

Am I missing something? I thought Google only direct sold the GSM versions?

Correct. The fastest road to official OS updates is an unlocked GSM Nexus direct from Google's Play store. Anything else (purchased from a US CDMA carrier) will result in delays. Update delays for CDMA Nexus devices are shorter than non-Nexus devices, but there is still a delay.

VickMackey#AC

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site

Correct. The fastest road to official OS updates is an unlocked GSM Nexus direct from Google's Play store. Anything else (purchased from a US CDMA carrier) will result in delays. Update delays for CDMA Nexus devices are shorter than non-Nexus devices, but there is still a delay.

Agreed. So at this point, anyone who buys another Non GSM Nexus device should just know what they are getting themselves into, and shouldn't expect anything from a carrier, despite what they have been told or promised. Is it right? No, but that's the way it is. It's up to the user now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma