rebooting and sd card

rsanchez1

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I've been having odd problems with my Evo 3D rebooting. I bought the 3D two weeks ago off eBay. It came with the phone, battery, charger, otterbox, and sd card. The phone runs great, except for the fact that it reboots. I was able to narrow it down to rebooting when the screen was turned off. I could leave the screen on for hours and it won't reboot, but as soon as I turned the screen off, it rebooted within a minute.

I did a factory reset of the phone, and I still had the reboot problems. I took out the SD card, backed up all the contents, and formatted it to FAT32. However, when I tried the phone again without SD card, it stopped rebooting. I could leave the screen off for a long time, and turn it back on without issues.

After I reformatted my SD card, I put it back into my phone without putting back in all the data I backed up. It improved a little bit, in that it didn't reboot after I turned off the screen. However, when I turned the screen back on, the phone would run fine for a few seconds and then just completely freeze. The screen stays on, but the phone becomes completely unresponsive. I would need to force reboot it by holding the volume buttons and power button.

The SD card is a Kingston 8GB SD card. Is this just an issue between the phone and the SD card? Does the Evo 3D have problems running SD cards of 8GB? Is there a way I can resolve it so I can use the phone and the SD card together?

rsanchez1

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I think I might have spoken too soon. The SD card has nothing to do with it. Factory reset only helps for like an hour, and then the phone will start rebooting again with or without SD card. Actually, without the SD card it will turn the screen on but then just freeze and require a force reboot.

When I factory reset it, I don't sign in to any services or download any apps. Just wait for it to factory reset, turn off all wireless, and turn the screen off waiting to see if it turns off. Like I said, the factory reset only helps prevent it from rebooting for like an hour. After that, it goes back to rebooting when the screen turns off.

pergerson6

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Is the phone stock or are you using another kernel? And why did you format the SD card?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

xxDeklinxx

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I have a 32gb card in mine without issues. Try a different card...TigerDirect or SuperMediaStore.Com for good, cheap cards. Otherwise bring it to Sprint

rsanchez1

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I formatted the SD card just to see if that would help.

I'm using stock right now, but it is rooted. I had backed up stock and tried MeanROM ICS with Chad's kernel. To be clear, I had the rebooting problem before I flashed to MeanROM, but MeanROM didn't help and I didn't like it, so I restored back to stock.

I just experienced more strangeness with my E3D. I left the screen on for a few days, only turning it off when it is charging. If it is charging, the screen can turn on and off without problem. I turned off the screen and left it for five minutes. I turned the screen back on and the phone did not reboot this time, but the notification bar disappeared. I also tried to launch a few apps, and they all crashed. The stock browser crashed, Dolphin HD crashed, Words with Friends crashed. Curiuosly, Firefox did not crash. I could not bring up the notification bar by choosing notifications from the home menu.

I could turn off the screen, leave it for five minutes, and turn it back on for a few more times, and the notification bar never came back. I had to reboot the phone to get the notification bar back.

Hopefully this will help find out what's wrong.

enthuz

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
This is beginning to sound like the ICS updates of past that had the same issues/devices. It took several updates to work most of them out. You all are describing the exact same issues I had with my Prime with the ICS updates. I searched the forums and noticed that it was not just with Asus, but common on many devices rooted or not. I guess fragmentation has its plus and minuses. I hope HTC/Sprint is more forthcoming with those updates like Asus was/is for me.

steelers1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Anyone with rebooting issues... do you have facebook updated/installed and logged in?

Yes, I do but its not on my sd card so that's not it. I have added almost all my apps back. Does anyone having the reboot problem have the Aldi's grocery store app installed? Everything started failing again after adding that one back

xxDeklinxx

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I had a phone a while ago where I bought new, cheap batteries and had the same issue you described. Granted, it wasn't a smartphone...