Phone only works without sd card after ics update

steelers1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Did the ics update this afternoon now my phone barely works. if i click on an app like gmail, internet browser or text messages the phone reboots. I got my text messaging app to open once and it woluldn't send texts. I did receive one though. The play store rarely loads just says loading. If you do get it to open it wont let you update apps just says downloading forever and then reboots. The HTC music player says I have no songs in my library now even though there are hundreds. I can use Astro file manager and navigate my sd card fine and see my music there too. It does take awhile to load the sd card icons but then again it always has after a reboot. I usually get about 2 minutes of very laggy use out of the phone before it reboots itself. I took out my sd card to see what would happen and everything works great, no more reboots. I ran an integrity scan on the sd card and it says everything is fine. I have a sandisk 16gb class 4 card. I don't know what else to do. The phone is useless without an sd card, and i had no problems at all before the update. Any suggestions? Thanks.

cstixx

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the same boat with not being able to navigate to my photos or music on my SD card. Other than that i'm pleased with the update, even getting much better battery life! Hope the SD access gets resolved sooner than later!

Sent from my PG86100 using Android Central Forums

Synopsis

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I also am having a similar experience. I have a lot of apps and many are stored on the SD card. Without the card it seems to run well. With the card inserted, I get about 5 minutes before it spontaneously reboots. One thing I have noticed is that reboots occur after most (sometimes all?) of the SD based app icons have filled the app drawer. Any experts with a suggestion of how to proceed?

Sent from my Xoom using Android Central Forums

cstixx

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I went to send a pic I took after the update and when I backed out of the album my photos from SD card slowly started appearing!

Sent from my PG86100 using Android Central Forums

fury161

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Did the update and I'm experiencing the same thing. Rebooting roughly every five minutes. Taking the sd card out seems to make everything work fine. This is VERY frustrating. Most everything is on my sd card.

They need to fix this. Very disappointed. After waiting nearly eight months for this upgrade, when we were originally told it would happen shortly after the new year, this is a major bug that should have been spotted and fixed before release by Sprint and HTC.

steelers1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I backed up my sd card and copied my stock evo 3d files back to my sd card and it works fine so it must be an app I have on my sd card that its not liking. At least now I know the card is fine. This also tells me that a factory reset isnt going to fix this either

JuniorWWT

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I called sprint and was told to do a factory reset. I don't really want to but I will. Has anyone else tried this yet?

treye1007

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
When mine first updated, it took it a while before anything from the sd card showed up. It was maybe 2 or 3 hours before anything showed up. Everything is fine now.

Sent from my Evo 3D.

steelers1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
HTC got back to me and said the fix was to reformat the sd card.

HTC is wrong, I have reformatted twice and get the same thing. Factory reset works if you wipe your sd card too, but just like reformatting if I put my stuff back on my sd card it don't work

steelers1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I backed up my sd card to my laptop and deleted all my apps on my sd card from the folder android secure. Put the sd card back in my phone and all us working and my pictures and music came back. This means it is definitely a problem with an installed app on my sd card so there us no need to wipe your sd card or do a factory reset. I guess now I just move each app back one by one until the problem returns. I wonder if we all have the same problem app on our phone or it is several. Happy hunting everyone

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Sucks to hear the recent ICS update is giving EVO 3D users issues. After reading the responses in this thread, it seems as if issues like this add to the pool of reasons why Android manufacturers (including Google) are gradually trying to shift toward non-SD/all internal storage.

Sent from my EVO 4G using AC Forums! ^.^

VickMackey#AC

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Same issue here. I try to get into messaging and it crashes, crashed after trying to send myself a photo to get it to work like the above poster mentioned. This is a disaster. My absolute last non nexus phone. After 8 months, a bug this bad got past QA?? Taking out my SD card now, will see if that fixes it. And maybe if HTC didn't include 1G of internal storage, the majority of which is the OS, this may not have been that big a deal. F*** HTC.

VickMackey#AC

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm on the phone with Sprint right now. I suggest anyone that has this issue give them a call, ask to speak to tech support, make them aware of the issue and ask what they intend to do about it.

VickMackey#AC

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I backed up my sd card to my laptop and deleted all my apps on my sd card from the folder android secure. Put the sd card back in my phone and all us working and my pictures and music came back. This means it is definitely a problem with an installed app on my sd card so there us no need to wipe your sd card or do a factory reset. I guess now I just move each app back one by one until the problem returns. I wonder if we all have the same problem app on our phone or it is several. Happy hunting everyone

That's good to hear. But i wonder why one app would cause such an issue. We should make a list of all installed apps and compare to see if we all have apps in common.

What apps have you re-installed so far?

VickMackey#AC

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I backed up my sd card and copied my stock evo 3d files back to my sd card and it works fine so it must be an app I have on my sd card that its not liking. At least now I know the card is fine. This also tells me that a factory reset isnt going to fix this either

To add to this. I also backed up my sd card to my laptop and deleted and reformatted the sd card and the phone works beautifully. I put all the contents of the sd card back onto the card and the rebooting happens again. It is definitely something on the card that's corrupted or simply won't work with 4.0. either an app or some saved files. Looks like I'll have to reload apps 1 by 1 and try to import my save files back and see if i can at least recover those.

fury161

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I also ended up backing up my card to my laptop and then deleted it. No issues since then. Not sure what app was causing the rebooting, but I'm adding them back as I need to use them. I have encountered a few that will not reload, such as Feedly, because they're not currently compatible with ICS. So that could be the culprit right there.

youngusaplaya

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I have the EVOLTE and the 3D as a backup updated to ICS and haven't had any of the SD card problems but have seen the battery life issues... Before I did the update I did a factory restore on the phone a few weeks before it hit so that could possibly be helpful and I did not reformat the sd card either.

Sent from my EVO

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2