No NFC in the Evo 3D?

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I have to say that I was disappointed on 2 fronts today with the Evo 3D announcemt. First, No kickstand? Wtf htc! That's what distinguished the Evo from the rest of the pack. Arrggggg!

Now that's out of my system, on to my second gripe...

I didn't see any mention of NFC (Near Field Communication) . NFC was a much touted feature in gingerbread. It just bothers me that this phone is coming out of the box with gingerbread and missing this cool feature. The iphone 5 is rumored this technology. Please don't shut us out HTC.

That said, I will more than likely be buying this thing.

Last edited:

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I didn't see any mention of NFC (Near Field Communication) . NFC was a much touted feature in gingerbread. It just bothers me that this phone is coming out of the box with gingerbread and missing this cool feature. The iphone 5 is rumored this technology. Please don't shut us out HTC.

NFC is still really in the formative stages. There are carrier, manufacturer, credit card, etc. standards that are all trying to get into the space. Also, check out the number of times an NFC capable CC has been captured via a remote hacking device lately and you'll think twice about wanting that feature until it's mature. Personally, if it had been on the phone, I would have shut it off permanently.

Reactions: a dumb cat

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
My point is that last year, the evo set the standard for what a powerhouse Android phone should be like, hardware-wise and software wise, it took almost half a year for any other phone to get released that could go toe to toe with it.

hNow the Evo 3d will once again be raising that bar, but will be missing one key feature thats already been adopted by Samsung and rumored to be coming to Apple, and that's NFC. Maybe HTC could build the hardware into the phone but ship it with it deactivated. Then they could issue a software update once there's a standard. And let's face it. We all know that if Apple builds the feature into the next iphone, that standard will become the official standard.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
My point is that last year, the evo set the standard for what a powerhouse Android phone should be like, hardware-wise and software wise, it took almost half a year for any other phone to get released that could go toe to toe with it.

hNow the Evo 3d will once again be raising that bar, but will be missing one key feature thats already been adopted by Samsung and rumored to be coming to Apple, and that's NFC. Maybe HTC could build the hardware into the phone but ship it with it deactivated. Then they could issue a software update once there's a standard. And let's face it. We all know that if Apple builds the feature into the next iphone, that standard will become the official standard.

You do have to keep in mind that they kept the evo 3d pretty much the exact same weight and size, albeit, even a bit thinner considering all those spec bumps. That is an amazing feat in itself

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
You do have to keep in mind that they kept the evo 3d pretty much the exact same weight and size, albeit, even a bit thinner considering all those spec bumps. That is an amazing feat in itself

This is true, it is amazing. But its nothing different fron what tech companies do every year. Every year, Apple and Samsung packs more features in phones while making them thinner. Now I'm not saying that I'm not impressed. I am VERY impressed, and unless they announce a phone that can replicate home cooked meals, I will be standing in line, cash in hand on the day of this phone's release.

MikeBinOK

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
NFC doesn't interest me....you see, for several years I have been carrying a special secret high tech device that fulfills the same purpose as NFC with fewer security concerns. This secret device can now be revealed, it is called a Visa card!

NFC gets talked up by carriers who want some of that sweet, sweet moo ah the banks rake off of our credit card purchases, and by tech bloggers who want something new to talk about. But there's little in it for consumers. We won't miss it from the 3D.

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
NFC doesn't interest me....you see, for several years I have been carrying a special secret high tech device that fulfills the same purpose as NFC with fewer security concerns. This secret device can now be revealed, it is called a Visa card!

NFC gets talked up by carriers who want some of that sweet, sweet moo ah the banks rake off of our credit card purchases, and by tech bloggers who want something new to talk about. But there's little in it for consumers. We won't miss it from the 3D.

NFC isn't only for making payments.

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
NFC isn't only for making payments.

No, but unlocking the door to your house or hotel room is not realistic. Using it to get through an airport security line or having your passport info on it isn't realistic. Using it as your pass to get through toll booths might be realistic, but no way I'm holding my phone out the window. LOL

aruth09

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I have to say that I was disappointed on 2 fronts today with the Evo 3D announcemt. First, No kickstand? Wtf htc! That's what distinguished the Evo from the rest of the pack. Arrggggg!

Now that's out of my system, on to my second gripe...

That said, I will more than likely be buying this thing.

For me it was the nexus s or the evo 3d. I liked the idea of nfc but thought I'd use hdmi out more. Then they announced the evo 3d and I have to say it has everything I want. I don't think I'd miss nfc. I only wanted it cause I like to have everything I can on my phone.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
The thing is that now, everyone is saying that they have no use for NFC. That's understandable becaise their aren't any useful applications for it. But rest assured, if Apple adopts this tech, the wheels of ingenuity will start spinning and many useful apps wil start development. I just don't like being left behind.

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The thing is that now, everyone is saying that they have no use for NFC. That's understandable becaise their aren't any useful applications for it. But rest assured, if Apple adopts this tech, the wheels of ingenuity will start spinning and many useful apps wil start development. I just don't like being left behind.

I agree in principle, but the problem with NFC is that it requires hardware as well as software. So, even if they put it in the iPhone 5, vendors have to start putting hardware in devices/locations to take advantage of that on the other side of the equation. That cost is going to be something that isn't easily swallowed at first even if it's driven by an iDevice. Give it two years and then NFC will be approaching the threshold of usefulness. I'm sure next year we will start seeing the NFC devices flow, but I'll pass on it as a required feature for now.

garrettfarnum

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I think Visa is in production of "stickers" that will use NFC and will be linked to your credit card, you can put it on the back of your phone and it'll scan like a credit card.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21