voice and data over 3G

1BadHEMI

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
It wasn't mentioned, but that doesn't mean anything. Specs can change up until the release day. For now, it looks just like the Evo of now, over 4G and wifi only...

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
would be a huge let down if it didn't. if the chipset in the Thunderbolt can support SVDO no reason why HTC couldn't easily do it again.

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I thought this was a network thing, not a device thing. ATT always boasted they were the only network to be able to do this when on 3G in the past (before 4G rolled out)

maxima2k53

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I thought this was a network thing, not a device thing. ATT always boasted they were the only network to be able to do this when on 3G in the past (before 4G rolled out)

sprint and verizon can easily go to svdo, they just have to enable it in the towers but they're too busy building out the 4G network

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
If they went SVDO then we would have as crappy network speeds as ATT. Separating voice and data across two radios means that a call wont impact your mobile web speed...

maxima2k53

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
If they went SVDO then we would have as crappy network speeds as ATT. Separating voice and data across two radios means that a call wont impact your mobile web speed...

well AT&T has good network speeds, the only thing is that their call quality is horrible, always dropping calls

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The Thunderbolt has SV-DO which makes that possible.

Verizon enabled that on their network. It's not phone specific.

GSM networks (like AT&T and T-Mobile) allow voice and data simultaneously automatically. CDMA networks (like Sprint & Verizon) have to be upgraded to support it.

ekt8750

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Verizon enabled that on their network. It's not phone specific.

GSM networks (like AT&T and T-Mobile) allow voice and data simultaneously automatically. CDMA networks (like Sprint & Verizon) have to be upgraded to support it.

SV-DO has to be implemented at both the network level and the device level.

crabjoe

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Until Sprint get's their Network Vision upgrade done, I doubt SVDO will happen.

Reason is SVDO is part of CDMA 1X Advanced, and Sprint's upgrade to CDAM 1X Advanced is tied to their Network Vision upgrade..

SVDO allow simultaneous 1x voice and EVDO data : EVDOforums.com

As for the EVO 3D being capable ... Yes, The EVO 3D will be capable because it uses the MSM8660 SoC, which supports it. But there's still the matter of Sprint going to CDMA 1X Advance, then turning it on...

http://www.cdg.org/news/events/CDMA... Selection_Colombia April 2009 v1 English.pdf

RippThaJacker

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The last time i was on sprint(nextel) i couldn't get a phone call if was online. If i was online and a phone call came in it would automatically go to voicemail and not inform that i have an incoming call. I hope that still doesn't happen.

deltatko

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
The last time i was on sprint(nextel) i couldn't get a phone call if was online. If i was online and a phone call came in it would automatically go to voicemail and not inform that i have an incoming call. I hope that still doesn't happen.

that has been a setting in most all sprint phones in the last 5 years, so you would just have to turn that "feature" off in the menu. It was on by default on my replacement EVO i got last week and was wondering why i kept missing calls

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tgksnow