Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default soo how "3D" is it?

i'm yet to see a "non-glasses" 3D device in person, i've been wondering how 3D it actually looks.. is it comparable to RealD? better/worse?

i'm seeing a lot of info on the Evo3D being 3D, but haven't seen too many comments on the quality and level of 3D being seen as a user.

any info's great!!

and on another note, i cannot wait for this phone to drop
    Phone: T-Mobile HTC One
    Root Method: ....
    Recovery: ....
    Kernel: ....
    Rom: ....

I went to gamestop and played around with the nintendo 3ds which is also glasses free 3d tech and i have to say that it was pretty damn cool. I really hope that the EVO3D looks the same. Go to gamestop and play with the 3ds demo and you'll see what i mean.
    Thanked by:
    i1der 

Global Posts
    4,491 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Yeah, that's probably your best bet....check out the 3ds. But I am guessing it's going to look a lot like a Stereogram. Those are kind of hard to master and see since you need to stare at the picture while relaxing your eyes, and any lapse of concentration will make you lose the 3d view again. Steregrams usually don't pop out though but instead add depth, and I am guessing that's what the Evo 3d will look like?

Can't wait to find out!

Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    ROM
    BAMF 3 RC4.9

3DS is like that it adds depth it doesn't like pop out of the screen but it's pretty damn impressive non the less, i would assume Evo3D is comparable to that screen but i dont see 3D gaming working well on it cuz your fingers touching screen would throw the 3D off i would assume it does take a second for your eyes to adjust to 3DS screen, touch works there only cuz its only screen below it thats used for touch

Evo 3d has an expanded bluetooth lib. Will work with gamepads, which really is the way to go with new games, especially older ones with emulators.

Global Posts
    903 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP JB

Aww, I was kinda hoping for the type that pops out of the screen . Better than having no 3D I guess...

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

Talking

Is funny how people think 3DS is cool and a Phone with 3D is a gimmick...
    I personally cant wait... My EVO fever has already attack i want my new EVO now!
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by i1der View Post
    Is funny how people think 3DS is cool and a Phone with 3D is a gimmick...
    I personally cant wait... My EVO fever has already attack i want my new EVO now!
    They are both a gimmick, but the specs on this phone is pretty sweet and you don't have to use the 3d

Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    ROM
    MMuzzy 4.2

Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    They are both a gimmick, but the specs on this phone is pretty sweet and you don't have to use the 3d
    This is exactly how I feel, and if I end up not wanting this phone it will be because of the 3D...

The specs are what have me wanting this phone, but it kinda sucks that the camera got downgraded to 5 MP. SO now its between this and the Samsung Galaxy S II for me.

The 4 GB internal storage and the 1 GB of RAM is pretty sweet too.

I hope its not gonna be like the nintendo 3ds. I saw that today, it hurt my eyes

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk
    Personal: Sprint Galaxy Nexus LTE, Nexus 7 16gb tablet

If i have helped you, please hit the Thanks or Like button below!
    Thanked by:

The technology utilized DOES allow for some crazy pop out of the screen 3D, it's just that nobody has used it like that. It's easier to make things recess into the screen than to pop-out so you'll be seeing a lot more of that.

When you trick your brain into seeing depth when there isn't any it makes your head and eyes hurt...that's how any kind of 3D is.

What I'm really disappointed in is the fact that the only 3D shown so far is the camera. While it does have the updated Sense that some other phones have, there is no streaming 3D films, no 3D games or applications in the market...none of the user interface, homescreen, menus, or stock apps are in 3d either. How do you have a phone called EVO 3D with SO little 3D implemented?

The cool thing about the 3DS is that practically everything is in 3D...even boring system settings menus feature some sort of 3D effect. And it doesn't force the 3D onto you...at any time you can tune down or completely turn off the 3D.

I'm really turned off by the lack of 3D functionality, the BIG ugly camera button, and how horrendous the phone looks from the back. I hope the updated Sense UI comes to my standard EVO though...
    Last edited by kiwisoup; 03-31-2011 at 11:23 PM.

Global Posts
    4,491 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by kiwisoup View Post
    The technology utilized DOES allow for some crazy pop out of the screen 3D, it's just that nobody has used it like that. It's easier to make things recess into the screen than to pop-out so you'll be seeing a lot more of that.

When you trick your brain into seeing depth when there isn't any it makes your head and eyes hurt...that's how any kind of 3D is.

What I'm really disappointing in is the fact that the only 3D shown so far is the camera. While it does have the updated Sense that some other phones have, there is no streaming 3D films, no 3D games or applications in the market...none of the user interface, homescreen, menus, or stock apps are in 3d either. How do you have a phone called EVO 3D with SO little 3D implemented?

The cool thing about the 3DS is that practically everything is in 3D...even boring system settings menus feature some sort of 3D effect. And it doesn't force the 3D onto you...at any time you can tune down or completely turn off the 3D.

I'm really turned off by the lack of 3D functionality, the BIG ugly camera button, and how horrendous the phone looks from the back. I hope the updated Sense UI comes to my standard EVO though...
    Did you not hear the part about where they said that YouTube 3d and 3d movies over Blockbuster will be supported out of the box? Did you see the video for the teaser of Splinter Cell in 3d? (Didn't look all that great, but they are working on games). As one of the Sprint reps said, they are still rather early in the development of the software for the phone, and even some hardware might change a little bit, so how do you expect all those 3d games to be done already?

The back of the phone looks horrendous? Uh...it's a red ring just like on the Evo 4G, but this time around it has to run around 2 cameras AND the flash. It's not like they tried to make it gawdy, the hardware needs to be there to make the 3d work! How else would you have designed it? I think it looks good, and they sort of learned from their mistake with the Evo 4g where the lens of the camera was the highest point of the phone and was prone to scratching when setting the phone down. The red ring is raised just enough to help avoid this very issue. What's wrong with a big camera button? Too many phones don't have one, and having one really aids in holding the phone more still to take better pictures. I think it's great they made it stand out, it's something people will notice, especially the ones that missed camera buttons on their phones. The Droid X has a camera button, but it looks just like any other button on the phone until people realize what it is, the Evo 3d won't have that problem.

As far as having 3d in every menu....uhm...the phone needs to be sleek and fairly thin, and you package a whole lot of hardware into that little body, you don't have the luxury of having all the extra space that the Nintendo 3DS has for a huge battery. Also, the phone needs to be a phone and do internet, all of which suck extra battery juice, so of course they won't use up battery sucking power on a full time 3d UI. Do you really need to see your settings in 3d? Besides, having 3d in the UI full time would just add to the gimick factor if you ask me. This is a phone that can take 3d pictures, 3d videos, can handle 3d games, and will be able to stream 3d videos, isn't that enough 3d functionality for you?

Lastly, 3d should be consumed in small portions at a time, especially with a relatively small screen like what the Evo 3d will have, having it on all the time will cause problems with certain people sensitive to it which reduces the potential pool of buyers ready to plunk down the money for this thing. In reality, if the UI was in 3d, most people would probably find that fun for about a day or two, or maybe even a week, but after that, when they experience the total lack of battery life, will just turn it off permanently anyhow, so why waste resources on it?

I think HTC is doing all the right things here.
    Last edited by MannyZ28; 04-01-2011 at 11:07 AM.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Did you not hear the part about where they said that YouTube 3d and 3d movies over Blockbuster will be supported out of the box? Did you see the video for the teaser of Splinter Cell in 3d? (Didn't look all that great, but they are working on games). As one of the Sprint reps said, they are still rather early in the development of the software for the phone, and even some hardware might change a little bit, so how do you expect all those 3d games to be done already?

The back of the phone looks horrendous? Uh...it's a red ring just like on the Evo 4G, but this time around it has to run around 2 cameras AND the flash. It's not like they tried to make it gawdy, the hardware needs to be there to make the 3d work! How else would you have designed it? I think it looks good, and they sort of learned from their mistake with the Evo 4g where the lens of the camera was the highest point of the phone and was prone to scratching when setting the phone down. The red ring is raised just enough to help avoid this very issue. What's wrong with a big camera button? Too many phones don't have, and having one really aids in holding the phone more still to take better pictures. I think it's great they made it stand out, it's something people will notice, especially the ones that missed camera buttons on their phones. The Droid X has a camera button, but it looks just like any other button on the phone until people realize what it is, the Evo 3d won't have that problem.

As far as having 3d in every menu....uhm...the phone needs to be sleek and fairly thin, and you package a whole lot of hardware into that little body, you don't have the luxury of having all the extra space that the Nintedo 3DS has for a huge battery. Also, the phone needs to be a phone and do internet, all of which suck extra battery juice, so of course they won't use up battery sucking power on a full time 3d UI. Do you really need to see your settings in 3d? Besides, having 3d in the UI full time would just add to the gimick factor if you ask me. This is a phone that can take 3d pictures, 3d videos, can handle 3d games, and will be able to stream 3d videos, isn't that enough 3d functionality for you?

Lastly, 3d should be consumed in small portions at a time, especially with a relatively small screen like what the Evo 3d will have, having it on all the time will cause problems with certain people sensitive to it which reduces the potential pool of buyers ready to plunk down the money for this thing. In reality, if the UI was in 3d, most people would probably find that fun for about a day or two, or maybe even a week, but after that, when they experience the total lack of battery life, will just turn it off permanently anyhow, so why waste resources on it?

I think HTC is doing all the right things here.
    Yeah, I read about two lines of your post and realized you're an ******* and stopped. Lighten up...seriously. None of the applications or games you are talking about are completed and they are nowhere to be seen on demo units. Even if they are there out-of-the-box, it's the first 3D phone there are gonna be better 3D phones down the line. I called the phone ugly in a couple aspects and wouldn't upgrade to it given the chance. Cry about it.

ROM
    LiGux-V3.2 w/ Fireants

I agree that having 3d on full time would be tiresome. We all know that there will be a better everything down the line but the Evo 3d is now. I'm Using the Hero (rooted of course) still and have a upgrade coming up about the same time as the evo comes out. So for me it's the same as coming from a g1 to a g2 or mytouch4g.

I love the camera button. I take a lot of pics with my phone and hate unlocking, finding the camera icon and waiting for the app to start. It'll be great to just get to it.

Bottom line it's all relative to the user. Coming from the Hero, I would more than double processor power, ram, memory, cameras and potential. I'm ready for this phone. If you're not you have your reasons and I'm sure your phone of choice is around the corner.

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

Yeah, I read about two lines of your post and realized you're an ******* and stopped. Lighten up...seriously. None of the applications or games you are talking about are completed and they are nowhere to be seen on demo units. Even if they are there out-of-the-box, it's the first 3D phone there are gonna be better 3D phones down the line. I called the phone ugly in a couple aspects and wouldn't upgrade to it given the chance. Cry about it.
    Well get lost. If the phone's not for you, don't be a wet blanket for everyone else simply because you have a problem with it.

Global Posts
    4,491 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Your first mistake was that you just read 2 lines of what I wrote. Don't reply to something I wrote when you hardly read any of it.

Game development takes a while, we all know that. You apparently missed the videos from CTIA where they did show off a trailer of Splinter Cell, where they did announce YouTube 3d, and where they did say the Blockbuster app allows you to buy/rent movies, even in 3d, to watch on your phone. Just because you didn't see it or hear about it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I would like to know what you called me because it got starred out, but then again, you're a newbie around here and you don't know that cussing and name calling doesn't fly around here.

Lastly, what are you doing in the Evo 3D forum if you have no plans of buying it? Do you just feel like bashing the people that are excited about it?

By the way....welcome to the forum!
    Last edited by MannyZ28; 04-01-2011 at 11:08 AM.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    AOKP Stable

Okay so I tried out the Nintendo 3DS and I wasn't impressed at all. I wear glasses and have one eye that's way worse then the other for me to see in 3D and not have a blurry line in the middle I had to hold it about 8inches from my face. With 3d glasses I never had that problem the only problem I had was after Avatar in 3d all the colors outside didn't look as vivid . So this for me personally was a game changer I'm not preordering this phone & Im looking harder in a Nexus S. When it comes out if it looks as bad for MEas the 3DS did I'm totally going the Nexus route. Not trying to start a flame war just trying to tell anyone with a vision problem to check it out before you buy it. Besides 3d by December I'm sure there will be other dual core 756mb+ phones to choose from...
    Forgot to backup stock on your Optimus S? Use Mine!
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-...-stock-vd.html

Anon-A-Moose
    "A pig headed individual with no coding skills ruining Android since 2009"

Thanks Everyone for your hard work!!!

Thank Button.... it's not just for looks....

Global Posts
    4,491 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I see the 3d part of the Evo 3d as just extra gravy to the delicious meal that is the technical specs of this phone. If 3d gave me a headache or wouldn't work a damn, I wouldn't care. I will have what I want, my current phone on some serious steroids!
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    ROM
    Warm Z 2.2

I see the 3d part of the Evo 3d as just extra gravy to the delicious meal that is the technical specs of this phone. If 3d gave me a headache or wouldn't work a damn, I wouldn't care. I will have what I want, my current phone on some serious steroids!
    This. Even last year when the Evo 4G came out, we knew WiMax wouldn't be the wave of the future. I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I did not buy the Evo for it's 4G, though it was some good gravy. I bought it because the advances and refinements HTC did made it the best phone in America from the time it came out until early this year, which is a time span that probably beats the freaking RAZR as reigning champion. The Evo 3D will be one of the 3 best phones you can get this year, if not the best, and that is with or without 3D.

Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB v0.6.1 (D), CM7 (N)

Quote Originally Posted by Anonamoose View Post
    Okay so I tried out the Nintendo 3DS and I wasn't impressed at all. I wear glasses and have one eye that's way worse then the other for me to see in 3D and not have a blurry line in the middle I had to hold it about 8inches from my face. With 3d glasses I never had that problem the only problem I had was after Avatar in 3d all the colors outside didn't look as vivid . So this for me personally was a game changer I'm not preordering this phone & Im looking harder in a Nexus S. When it comes out if it looks as bad for MEas the 3DS did I'm totally going the Nexus route. Not trying to start a flame war just trying to tell anyone with a vision problem to check it out before you buy it. Besides 3d by December I'm sure there will be other dual core 756mb+ phones to choose from...
    Why not just turn the 3D off? I like the Nexus S, but I wouldn't go for it just because the EVO 3D has a 3D screen. In fact, to be honest I expect that it will become a standard feature on many high-end phones and handhelds anyway (yes, it's a gimmick, but a gimmick that's getting a lot of attention and probably isn't going to cost too much to implement going forward). Given the specs, I would go for the EVO personally and just turn the 3D off.

Personally, I'd get the EVO 3D if I were on Sprint. But I'm not, and can't be for the forseeable future.
    -Motorola Droid 1 on Verizon
    -Nexus S on no network
    -White 32GB Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 Wi-Fi

The 3DS makes me feel ill. I had to sit down after playing the airplane demo.

Global Posts
    4,491 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I played with a 3ds today, the 3d effect was as expected, it adds depth and doesn't really pop out. You have to look at the screen dead on and after a second or two you see the full effect. I also played that flying game where you have to fly through a bunch of rings. Your plane was the closes object to you, everything else seemed further away. This is really not how I want to play a game, it seems like you can't move your head or the 3d effect will go away. After about 2 minutes of playing I stopped, and it didn't take long for my eyes to feel rather uncomfortable, and they still are now, hours later.

I will probably only use the 3d for some short videos and taking pictures, like I said in another post, to me it's all just extra gravy, I am buying the phone for the speed, not the 3d.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    167 Global Posts

the specs minus the 3D is a reason for anybody to be excited about this phone. I've played with the 3DS just this past weekend and I admit it is pretty cool

Global Posts
    4,491 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by JReel31 View Post
    the specs minus the 3D is a reason for anybody to be excited about this phone. I've played with the 3DS just this past weekend and I admit it is pretty cool
    I agree, the 3d is cool, but unfortunately peopls physiology is different, some handle this eye fooling trick better than others, unfortunately, my eyes don't handle it very well. :-( Not sure if it is psychological with me or what, but I get sick playing first person shooters, however I can handle racing games perfectly fine. When I watch a 3d movie on a 3d TV or even in the theater, I see flickering, just like a computer monitor that's set to a very low refresh rate. I can't do rollercoasters and I get car sick and sea sick easily. I can't read on a plane, let alone a car. I guess if you have any or all of these symptoms, playing 3d games on any hand held device isn't a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by bboykin87 View Post
    The specs are what have me wanting this phone, but it kinda sucks that the camera got downgraded to 5 MP. SO now its between this and the Samsung Galaxy S II for me.
    Keep in mind there are TWO 5MP cameras... There will be a lot of apps developed (if not available out of the box) that will do lots of cool things with two cameras that have nothing to do with 3D. Two cameras sensors can combine data for almost 10MP quality pictures, then consider real HDR, better noise reduction, etc... Lots of cool stuff to come.

Quote Originally Posted by deecon View Post
    I love the camera button. I take a lot of pics with my phone and hate unlocking, finding the camera icon and waiting for the app to start. It'll be great to just get to it.
    +1

I see the 3d part of the Evo 3d as just extra gravy to the delicious meal that is the technical specs of this phone.
    I agree completely. Personally I like the idea of 3D even if only a gimmick. But forget about the 3D altogether and the EVO 3D ROCKS!
    Wireless in the District and now supersonic on WiMAX with the EVO 4G!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast