130. You may not vote on this poll
  • EVO 3D

106 81.54%
  • Nexus S

24 18.46%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default EVO 3D or Nexus S

Hi all I am looking for comments or suggestions about which phone to get. Obviously I am looking at the EVO 3D and the Nexus S. I haven't decided yet so I was hoping to get some input from the masses.

Ok Tell me what you guys think about the Hummingbird vs the Snapdragon.....

Thanks
    Last edited by ffburns2; 04-09-2011 at 09:26 AM.
    Thanked by:
    Johnly 

Global Posts
    10,406 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

I would get googles next offerir. The evi 3D seems makes the kid in me go crazy! I want one if I don't have to make it badunkadunk with a extended battery brick.
    Thanked by:

idk if this helps or not, but for me it will depend on actual release date. If the Nexus comes out and there is still no word on a solid release date for the 3D, I will be getting the Nexus.

With the nexus I like the idea of quick updates and not worrying about them going through the whole carrier certification process each time there is an update.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    EOS3 nightly 61 (4.1.2)

I gotta say go Nexus S. I love my EVO to death don't get me wrong, its just I've always wanted a pure Google phone. Grant you I'm running CM7 now, but you know...no carrier or manufacturer apps equals a win in my book.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CaMelGuY1337; 04-08-2011 at 07:29 PM. Reason: changed text
    If by some chance I helped you out, please be so kind as to hit that thanks button. You'd be a lot cooler if you did.
    Thanked by:

Since your asking > then I'm saying to get the EVO 3D.

You might ask why? Just check out the specs, features of each phones... then make a decision on which one might be right for you.

>
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    346 Global Posts

Evo 3D, because of the specs!
    Thanked by:

@ rushrl. Loved your analysis of phones and your top 10 count-down. :0)

Global Posts
    4,491 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

So I was at Best Buy yesterday where they have a Nexus S on display that seems to be on 24/7. At certain intervals, the phone seems to go through some demo program showing a few features of the phone, and at the end of that demo, the phone lands up on the central home screen again which has a Google Search bar across the top of the screen. Just for kicks I loaded Nena Mark and let the benchmark run, and while I was floating around in the green hilled countryside, spinning around that hut and watching butterflies fly around, I noticed that at the top of the screen you could still make out the outline of the Google Search bar. Looks like it spent so much time on the screen that it got burned into the display! I wonder if only Super Amoled displays do that or if that could happen to TFT and Super LCD's too?

Granted, this is a worst case scenario since that phone is on non stop, but it really is the first time that I saw a burnt in image on any display phone I have ever seen.

In other news....I am going with the Evo 3d, mainly because of the specs, but also because of the bigger screen. I am so used to my Evos screen, I just can't go back to anything smaller, and while 0.3" don't sound like much, there really is a significant difference.

Global Posts
    10,406 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

I just can not swype well. Looks like I was drunk on my last post with swype here. I wonder who is making the next nexus? Multitouch keyboarding for me:-)
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,933 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

The number one reason to get any Nexus is because it's pure Google. No carriers to block updates, no locked bootloader, no bloat. This Nexus also happens to have a pretty amazing display.

BUT...it's out-classed in the spec wars by the EVO 3D. That might not matter much now, but over the course of the length of your contract it will matter more and more.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

Global Posts
    4,491 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by iamlilysdad View Post
    The number one reason to get any Nexus is because it's pure Google. No carriers to block updates, no locked bootloader, no bloat. This Nexus also happens to have a pretty amazing display.

BUT...it's out-classed in the spec wars by the EVO 3D. That might not matter much now, but over the course of the length of your contract it will matter more and more.
    I agree. However, after seeing that tortured Nexus S display model, I think otherwise about Super Amoled screens. I have to be on the lookout on equally tortured Super LCD screened phones to see if they exhibit the same problems.

Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    I agree. However, after seeing that tortured Nexus S display model, I think otherwise about Super Amoled screens. I have to be on the lookout on equally tortured Super LCD screened phones to see if they exhibit the same problems.
    I wouldn't worry too much about the burn in problem. You can stress test pretty much any product to its failure point, but that doesn't mean it will ever reach it through normal use.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,933 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I know people that swear by super amoled. If they suffered from a burn in problem we would know.

Plus, your phone isn't going to sit on 24/7 with the same home screen up the whole time.

I wouldn't worry about burn in.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    4,491 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I know people that swear by super amoled. If they suffered from a burn in problem we would know.

Plus, your phone isn't going to sit on 24/7 with the same home screen up the whole time.

I wouldn't worry about burn in.

Oh I understand that, just wondering why it does burn in and if there are any other drawbacks.

ROM
    Stock ICS!

Quote Originally Posted by ffburns2 View Post
    Hi all I am looking for comments or suggestions about which phone to get. Obviously I am looking at the EVO 3D and the Nexus S. I haven't decided yet so I was hoping to get some input from the masses.

Ok Tell me what you guys think about the Hummingbird vs the Snapdragon.....

Thanks
    It really depends what you're looking for in a phone. If you want a phone with the latest and greatest in technology, the Evo 3D wins hands down. You would want the 3D if you don't necessarily care about the receiving OS updates really fast or having the latest, unskinned version of Android.

However, you would want the Nexus S if you DO want the latest stock version of Android first, don't want bloatware, and don't need the latest specs (although, hey, software is half the speed of the phone... Gingerbread makes your phone run faster than Froyo does, and Android doesn't even support dual core processors yet for phones, even though the "I" version probably will).

Hope this helps.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,933 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Oh I understand that, just wondering why it does burn in and if there are any other drawbacks.
    It burns in just like an lcd or plasma tv does. Or can. They don't really suffer from that much any more, either.

Global Posts
    4,491 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

It burns in just like an lcd or plasma tv does. Or can. They don't really suffer from that much any more, either.

I have a 23" LCD Sony monitor that's about 7 years old, it's on all day with no screen saver running showing me pretty much the same stuff, it hasn't burnt in yet.

After playing with the Nexus S, I really can say that I missed Sense. People that want raw speed don't like it, but really, I think HTC did a good job of making Sense run pretty fast on all Evo generation phones. Yes, it does slow down once in a while, but that's mostly due to the Evos CPU/GPU which is now two generations behind what will be in the Evo 3d. I don't think speed will be much of an issue on the Evo 3d with the combination of dual core horsepower, new, much faster GPU, and fast Gingerbread hopefully making quick work of the UI.

In my opinion, the only thing that's in favor of the Nexus S is that you will get updates faster from Google. I rather have a bigger screen than the Super Amoled, I rather have a current gen CPU/GPU than last gen, and having 3d to play with just makes it an easy choice for me.

ROM
    EOS3 nightly 61 (4.1.2)

I'm just wondering how the battery life is going to be on the 3D. These phones already drink battery if you don't have your setting right. :-)

If by some chance I helped you out, please be so kind as to hit that thanks button. You'd be a lot cooler if you did.

It burns in because the three subpixel LED's have different lifespans. The blue is much shorter than the red and green. So if you have an area on the screen where there is a lot of blue or a lot of white (which drives all three pixels to the max) and you keep it on like that for a long time, the blue will start dying in that area and the color will have less blue and display improperly in that area. That's what causes the burn in.

A display model that's on 24/7 is obviously more prone to burn in. But in normal usage, it probably won't happen unless you do a lot of gaming and there is a bright meter or something in the corner that stays there all the time. Even then, it would take an extreme circumstance.

LCD's can't burn in. You can get a stuck or dead pixel here and there, but the light source is independent of the panel. With AMOLED, each subpixel is producing light.

And to the topic at hand -- I would take the Evo 3D over the Nexus S in a heartbeat. Spec-wise, it's no contest, and other than the OS updates, there's not a single thing that the Nexus S delivers that's better than the Evo 3D. A better head to head comparison is between the Evo 3D and the Galaxy S2. Now that's a real battle.
    Thanked by 2:

Why don't you add a poll to this thread so people can vote?

The Original Poster should go to the top of the thread, click on thread tools, and select add a poll.

I too, am struggling to decide which to get. my Pre comes closer and closer to be an electonric discus every day and I don't know if I can hold out for the 3D, especially if it's going to be above $200 or much past June for release. I also am concerned about Sammy's rep for GPS problems of late, tho I've heard they're back on course Will the 3D have an LED notifier? That's just about a deal breaker if not, for ANY device. Thx
    Last edited by toad6386; 04-18-2011 at 04:05 PM. Reason: excessive line break

Global Posts
    437 Global Posts

Guys, I have question about the 3D's Screen display. Did they update the pixels or is it same as evo? Nexus screen should look better then the evo 3d, correct? The only thing I did not like about the evo was that their screen looked faded out. Did 3D get updated screen?

ROM
    EOS3 nightly 61 (4.1.2)

The EVO 3D has a qHD screen which is a much higher pixel rating than the original EVO. If I'm not mistaken the original EVO has a WVGA screen. :-)

@dc1225 - The 4G was 800 x 400, the 3D will be 960 x 540. So yes, the pixel density is increased, per the spec sheets.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast