Is anyone experiencing benchmark envy? Galaxy S II 1.2 ghz

Status
Not open for further replies.

mycrownvic02#WN

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
The evo 3d will compete.. It probably wont score better, but neither did the original evo vs the epic. The evo 3d will be plenty powerful enough, and the differences probably wont be noticed in most daily usage. Htc makes better phones, and software period.

justinsaneeeee

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
The evo 3d will compete.. It probably wont score better, but neither did the original evo vs the epic. The evo 3d will be plenty powerful enough, and the differences probably wont be noticed in most daily usage. Htc makes better phones, and software period.

I second that one. There are a few things that samsung does tho that is better.. there screens are 10x better then HTC, there GPU is alot better, and there camera seems to be better. As for frame design and UI HTC wins.

Emmexx

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Galaxy S II benchmarked, makes other phones cry in shame -- Engadget

They are comparing it to the old results of the HTC pyramid. I hope the EVO 3d will come close, I doubt it will beat it since the scorpion core is still based on older processor technology, and because it will be running at a higher resolution.

Comments?

The one thing I couldn't get past when watching the GS2 video was a perception of possible lag.

Whenever the person demonstrating swiped to the first screen to the immediate right of the home screen, it appeared to pause/lag before going over. Now, I don't know if it was due to a widget or perhaps the touchwiz UI, but that really bothers me. Now, maybe it is just a rough version of the software, but who knows.

The UI on the E3D never appeared to pause, with the exception of the weather widget not always functioning properly. However, the lady demonstrating did indicate the software was not in the final build. Considering how smoothly everything functioned with that one exception, I'm of the opinion that the quadrant score is definately overrated. Again, just my opinion :)

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Yeah quadrant isn't the most accurate test in the world. It puts too much emphasis in the I/O score, among other things.

mycrownvic02#WN

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I second that one. There are a few things that samsung does tho that is better.. there screens are 10x better then HTC, there GPU is alot better, and there camera seems to be better. As for frame design and UI HTC wins.

Remember the evos new screen is no slouch either. It wont have the colors of the epic, but it will be an improvement over last years screen. Samsung phones have always felt so cheap to me, and working on them is even worse, depending on model ofcourse. With that said, the gs2, does look nice, but I could never see myself using a samsung device until quality is seriously stepped up.

Tarwinia

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah quadrant isn't the most accurate test in the world. It puts too much emphasis in the I/O score, among other things.

Yeah, it also seems something funky is going on with those test scores. Considering that the Sensation scored lower on Quadrant than the Nexus One and the original Evo even though its CPU is the same architecture but with two cores and each running at 20% greater speed than the original.

I think that once the benchmarks are worked out it will score favorably. Maybe not better but still well. The CPU should THEORETICALLY be 2.4x better than that on the Nexus One and the GPU is around 4x more powerful.

justinsaneeee said:
I second that one. There are a few things that samsung does tho that is better.. there screens are 10x better then HTC, there GPU is alot better, and there camera seems to be better. As for frame design and UI HTC wins. .

Remember that the new chipset uses the new Adreno 220 GPU which according to anandtech is around 2x better than the 205 and 4x better than the 200 (in some tests it even scored around 3.7x better than the 205). Also in GLBenchmark has the Sensation scoring better than the Atrix 4G on GLBenchmark 2.0 Egypt Standard (the only test it seems to have run). The LG Optimus 2X scores a bit higher there but the Optimus 2X has a lower resolution.

Tarwinia

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
They might....as soon as they don't have so many production problems with Super Amoled displays that cause demand to outstrip supply.

Exactly. I'm sure they don't want a repeat of the last time they used amoled. Especially if they have to switch technologies to keep up with demand because then you have customers complaining they didn't get what was promised.

sprinttouch

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
not worried

just relax, there are other benchmarks that conflict this, the htc shooter benchmarks destroyed everyone (and the htc shooter was code name for the evo3d). Qualcomms dev device did pretty great in the benchmarks which just leads me to believe that the leaked benchmarks form the OP are probably of an unoptimized device. Lastly, i've heard these new snapdragons will OC up to something crazy like 2Ghz so if u really just want benchmarks, i get we will destroy everyone when the evo3d gets rooted :p

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
So now that we have seen the rather bad benchmark numbers on Quadrant on not only a Evo 3d but also on a final model of the HTC Sensation, I have to wonder, why is this chipset scoring so badly? The Tegra 2 kills it in quadrant and the Galaxy S2 wipes the floor with it. I am hoping that both Nvidia and Samsung have some dirty tricks up there sleeve that manipulate the benchmark scores in their favor, after all, Quadrant isn't the most reliable program. I wish those reviewers would use something other than just Quadrant and Linpack. Linpack scores for the Sensation and the Galaxy S are about the same, however a Desire HD isn't that far behind (40 mflops compared to 46-48 mflops for the new dual core phones).

In browser comparison tests the Galaxy S2 seemed to fair better as well. Grr....but...oh well, I am still going for the Evo 3d, I like the fact that it uses the higher resolution, can do 3d, can do Netflix (at least it should since the old Evo can), and I just like HTC Sense much better. Also, there's probably a chance that the Sprint version of the Galaxy S2 might have a keyboard which I don't want.

mycrownvic02#WN

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Bench mark scores are worthless... The sensation, and the evo 3d have much higher resolution screens than the gs2, and the lg, so ofcourse they will score much worse.. Just take a look at how bad the iphone 4 scores with the highest resolution screen. It scores terrible, and I think we all know the iphone plays games well, and moves pretty fluid.

svinyard

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Benchmarks have shown to be lacking in real world match ups. We need to get off of them and go with the real world stuff. We'll wait till both devices are firmly in the hands of the review staff, watch comparable videos and leave it at that.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, the quadrant tests don't seem to make much sense....usually the Sensation finishes before the GS2, but scores up to 1500 points lower. That's another thing, the same GS2 will score between 3000 and 3700 points...way too big of a spread to be accurate.

Anyhow, I am eager to get my hands on the Evo 3d and experience it all first hand.

Slayix312

May 19, 2010
Visit site
SG2 has an WVGA screen and the 3D has a qHD screen which can heavily skewer results. Not to mention the EVO 3D is underclocked to 1.2ghz from it's rated 1.5ghz.

The MDP unit of the MSM8660 was wiping the floor with the Tegra chip according to Anandtech. It's WVGA and clocked at 1.5ghz.

AnandTech - Dual Core Snapdragon GPU Performance Explored - 1.5 GHz MSM8660 and Adreno 220 Benchmarks

Then in another benchmark the same MDP unit barely loses by 100 and some points to the SG2.

Galaxy S II vs Qualcomm MDP vs G2x Dual-Core Battle of Quadrant Benchmark Doom | Android Community

Thus it seems if the EVO 3D's screen was WVGA like the MDP unit (and clocked the same) and the SG2. Then it would essentially offer the same or possibly better Quadrant scores.

Jackietreehorn

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I mostly agree with you Slayix, but it all depends on your perspective and how you want it framed.

I don't think the gap is nearly as big as the benchmarks suggest, especially taking into account the additional pixels the Sensation/3D have to push, but looking at your benchmark, you're taking the Snapdragon at 1.5 Ghz (actual standard clock speed or not) and comparing it to the Tegra and TI running at only 1 Ghz..so a bit of "fudging the numbers" on each side.

I think that anyone who has seen side by side videos has seen that it's not a massive gap if you look at real world applications (browser tests, etc) next to each other. There is a bit of difference, but not enough that it would dissuade or persuade me one way or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max mays