Evo 4G release date was announced last May 12th....

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
....makes you wonder if they will announce the release date for the 3d on roughly the same day, seeing how Sprint was pretty much on schedule introducing the 3d to the world. The Nexus S is coming out on May 8th, an announcement for the Evo 3d just 4 days later might cut into the sales of the Nexus S?

Let the speculation begin!!

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
If I recall, the OG Evo was rumored to be released in mid June 2010, but they went for Early June to preempt the iPhone 4 announcement. In fact, the Evo 4G was released the weekend before the iPhone 4 announcement at WWDC.

Its looking like thats not gonna be a problem this year, with the iPhone 5 being expected to be released in the fall.

deltatko

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Let me float this theory out there.

The release date was given for the 4G on May 12 last year, right?

Well that, just happened to be a Wednesday last year. In 9 day's, Sprint is going to announce the new name of some band called "Yerkish", at the bottom it says "the big reveal in 9 days"

Sprint- All Together Now

Coincidence, maybe, but that is Wed the 11th, which would line up exactly the same as last year with the Wed the 12 announcement of the release date. Taking that same logic, the 4g was released 23 days later, on June 4, so if they do the same timing, that would mean the 3D would be on June 3 (which is widely speculated anyway).

Now, I could just be leading myself to all of these conclusions, but it all lines up to me.

Would love to know what you guys think about this.

Reactions: yourfriendmat

Emmexx

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Let me float this theory out there.

The release date was given for the 4G on May 12 last year, right?

Well that, just happened to be a Wednesday last year. In 9 day's, Sprint is going to announce the new name of some band called "Yerkish", at the bottom it says "the big reveal in 9 days"

Sprint- All Together Now

Coincidence, maybe, but that is Wed the 11th, which would line up exactly the same as last year with the Wed the 12 announcement of the release date. Taking that same logic, the 4g was released 23 days later, on June 4, so if they do the same timing, that would mean the 3D would be on June 3 (which is widely speculated anyway).

Now, I could just be leading myself to all of these conclusions, but it all lines up to me.

Would love to know what you guys think about this.

Couple that with Best Buy doing a pre-sale already, and I would be in agreement. That would work out perfect tfor me. My next billing cycle starts on the 9th with T-Mobile and I am aiming to get the E3D :)

deltatko

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
So this article is kind of interesting:

HTC EVO 3D release date on 2 June hinted from Blockbuster | evo-3d.net

They say that when they opened the blockbuster app on the Evo 3D at the Sprint stand, its said "Available in 71 days." Think this means anything? They could have made it all up for all I know :p

Never heard of that site, but that logic could pan out. I still think it will be the 3rd, because that falls in line with the launch of the the Evo 4G last year, but I would gladly take it earlier.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Well, lots of things pointing to the same time frame. Next week and the weeks thereafter should get pretty exciting for everyone waiting on this phone! Besides Christmas, its my favorite time of the year!

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Well, I hope at least the announcement of when it is coming out happens next week. Be nice if Sprint/HTC would play it like Apple's marketing and announce the release to be the next day/week instead of a month or two off.

deltatko

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Well, I hope at least the announcement of when it is coming out happens next week. Be nice if Sprint/HTC would play it like Apple's marketing and announce the release to be the next day/week instead of a month or two off.

It would be nice if they could, but really, only Apple has the name to be able to draw the kind of huge day one sales that every company wants to see on their flagship phone with a next day release. Sprint and HTC need that couple of weeks of padding to get the word out to the common man with internet ads, TV spots, the Survivor Tie in, Nascar, billboards (there are a ton of Sprint ones in KC) etc...

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
The Survivor tie in never showed a yet to be released phone, by the time Survivor showcased the phone, it was already available. Interesting how this time around they used the Epic.

deltatko

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Actually last year it was the pre all the way up until they announced the release date of the Evo and the next episode it was the phone on the text to win ad.

Also, this year they are using the shift not the epic

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Actually last year it was the pre all the way up until they announced the release date of the Evo and the next episode it was the phone on the text to win ad.

Also, this year they are using the shift not the epic

In the episode where the survivors get to use the phone to view videos, they use the epic.

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Sprint and HTC need that couple of weeks of padding to get the word out to the common man with internet ads, TV spots, the Survivor Tie in, Nascar, billboards (there are a ton of Sprint ones in KC) etc...

Good point. The EVO 4G TV ad they started running long after its launch actually was successful in getting the brand across. It even worked on my mother.
My mother has a flip phone and technology brands might as well be in Japanese for her. She showed up at my house one day and pointed at my phone saying "Oh, that's that evo phone." I literally did a double take and asked how on earth she knew that. The response was perfect marketing. "That's the phone on that commercial with the cute flying green robot guy." Gotta love mothers (and cute flying Android robots).

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
There are ads for the 3d in Newsweek and ESPN the mag...i bet its coming soon

If they're running print ads, it has to be coming out within a month or two max. That would be a waste of their money getting people interested with print ads only to let them hang for 3+ months. That was Palm's tactic with the Pre.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
If they're running print ads, it has to be coming out within a month or two max. That would be a waste of their money getting people interested with print ads only to let them hang for 3+ months. That was Palm's tactic with the Pre.

It's a print ad by HTC though, not Sprint. If it was a Sprint ad, I'd be even more joyful than I already am!