EVO 3D vs EVO 4G

rexdeaz

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
We all know the Evo 3D will be far and away a better phone than the original Evo. Better battery, better display, better processor. But there's one area where the original Evo has an edge and it's one that doesn't get a lot of play in the press. I'm referring to the Evo's still camera being 8 MP, whereas the Evo 3D will only take (one dimensional) still photos at 5 MP.

My question is this: What, if any, is the true difference between an 8MP camera and a 5MP camera? This is a fairly important feature for me as I use my Evo like a conduit to my friends and family back home, sharing photos of my life every chance I get. I've grown attached to the quality of the pics I take and enjoy knowing that I can get a great shot of nearly anything, anywhere, anytime. How much clarity am I set to lose by dropping down 3MP?

All the extra "awesomesauce" in the world doesn't mean a thing if it doesn't improve how you use your device and the dual core/hd screen/Sense 3.0 isn't selling me just yet, I need to know how good that camera is.

Kevin_G_Sanchez

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
I love all the extra stuff that is being added comparing to the original Evo. My concern at the moment is wanting to know if one 5MP camera will be used when taking a regular 2D picture?

deputyjones

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
My question is this: What, if any, is the true difference between an 8MP camera and a 5MP camera? This is a fairly important feature for me as I use my Evo like a conduit to my friends and family back home, sharing photos of my life every chance I get. I've grown attached to the quality of the pics I take and enjoy knowing that I can get a great shot of nearly anything, anywhere, anytime. How much clarity am I set to lose by dropping down 3MP?

You will lose no clarity at all by losing 3mp as long as the pictures you take stay the same size. More MP's allows you to make a larger picture and retain the same clarity. You could make a perfectly clear 11x14 print with a 5mp picture, and super jumbo wall size print with 8mp.

The clarity itself (in normal size pics) is a factor of the quality of the camera not the megapixels. Since most of my pics are just shared on the internet I set most of my cameras and phones to 3mp which is more than enough to make a nice 4x6 print. That saves space on the SD cards, and the extra size of the larger MP pics is unnecessary for my purposes.

gimme5#AC

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
The Evo 3D will not combine the 2 cameras to take a 10 MP picture. It doesn't work that way.

It will just use one camera, and take 5MP pics. The number of megapixels is not as important as the quality of the optics. Megapixels really come into play if you crop your pictures a lot or if you like to print your pictures (unless you print posters, you won't notice a difference).

dkotoric

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I don't know where these rumours are coming from but for 2d picutes if you watched some of the videos has been confirmed that only the top camera is being used so it will be 5mp.

lornaevo

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
The Evo 3D will not combine the 2 cameras to take a 10 MP picture. It doesn't work that way.

It will just use one camera, and take 5MP pics. The number of megapixels is not as important as the quality of the optics. Megapixels really come into play if you crop your pictures a lot or if you like to print your pictures (unless you print posters, you won't notice a difference).
The HTC rep said it in one of the hands on demo.

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The HTC rep said it in one of the hands on demo.

Reps don't know everything. Something this new, they just fill in their gaps with things that seem obvious to them. Go to any trade show or tech show and you'll understand.
A fixed dual lens setup for 3D pics will not take a combined 2D image properly. Unless it has some super magic fairy dust software for recombining those images, it won't work.

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
5MP pictures are 2600x1900 pixels.

I doubt you've ever shared pictures at that size, and if you have, your friends/relatives have scaled them down considerably anyway, destroying the quality.

You'll be just fine.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
You don't need to worry about MP, it's about the sensor of your camera and more obviously, the lens. The Epic has a 5MP camera and takes a little better pictures than the evo, not to mention, video. There are a couple of videos on youtube and just look them up.

sprinttouch

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
You don't need to worry about MP, it's about the sensor of your camera and more obviously, the lens. The Epic has a 5MP camera and takes a little better pictures than the evo, not to mention, video. There are a couple of videos on youtube and just look them up.

True, MP don't matter its all about the sensor. 5MP is above 1080p HD so why bother with anything larger? I would much rather have a clearer picture than one thats much larger than i will ever use.

2D pictures will be taken at 10MP. The Evo3D will use both cameras for 2D.

completely and 100% wrong. impossible. resolution is 2D (area) my friend, not 1D (length), it would take 4 5MP camera's to make a 10MP sized image. :cool:

SedahDrol

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Shoot. If I had me some of that super magic fairy dust, I'd turn my OG Pre into a EVO3D so fast....;)

Apparantly you don't need super magic fairy dust. all you need is best buy's protection plan and an broken palm pre. My palm pre just got turned into an Evo 4g. Evo 4g + buy back program = $300 for new phone.