1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Evo 3d MHL and something you may not know

The stuff about using remotes is sweeeeeeeeet, hope it is all correct.

ROM
    Stock on most

What kind of $7000 adapter will be needed to make that work with a current non-MHL HDMI port I wonder...
    And, if you do get an MHL to HDMI cord for current TV's, that means the phone won't charge while playing video since it won't have the MHL's power channel.
    Be interesting to see how long a charge lasts playing video out to a non-powered HDMI port.

ROM
    ACS Jelly Bean RC1, Stock

Yea, its unfortunate that the hdmi end wont be able to power the MHL end, but it could make for a $80 sweet dock of some sort right?

"In Soviet Russia, Android roots you!"

I'm here because like you, I have questions that I need answered, and help those like me, with questions of their own.
    "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
    -Isaac Newton, Letter to Robert Hooke, February 5, 1675

ROM
    Stock on most

Quote Originally Posted by liquidjesus View Post
    Yea, its unfortunate that the hdmi end wont be able to power the MHL end, but it could make for a $80 sweet dock of some sort right?
    My thoughts/fears exactly.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I'm wondering why nobody has brought up the whole " plug your phone into your T.V. and control them both with the remote you already have." Seems like a really cool feature. I'm also really curious as to what cords they will be including in the box.

the real question I have is.... how many people actually do this? It seems rather cumbersome as you'd have to carry yet another cable with you all around.

Now, if the wifi display standard ever gets set and running, I can see it being more useful. Display, OTA, to any TV. That, I would find more useful.

the real question I have is.... how many people actually do this? It seems rather cumbersome as you'd have to carry yet another cable with you all around.
    My thought exactly.

Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock rooted

yea thats gonna **** me off if the cables are overpriced.

Quote Originally Posted by PSYCHOTRON View Post
    meh, just go to amazon. i bought an 8ft gold tipped hdmi cable from amazon two years ago, still works, cost less than $5 including shipping.

Global Posts
    142 Global Posts

is your friend, you can get almost any cable you want (at a reasonable length) for under $5

Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock rooted

yea but it's not the same cable though it s a MHL to HDMI right? so they will be new. I Got all my HDMI's from amazon so hopefully they are as cheap.

ROM
    Stock on most

yea but it's not the same cable though it s a MHL to HDMI right? so they will be new. I Got all my HDMI's from amazon so hopefully they are as cheap.
    I'm afraid it will just be a niche cable/adapter at this point so the Amazons and Monoprices of the world won't bother manufacturing an inexpensive one. Until there are enough phones/devices supporting this there won't be inexpensive non-brand solutions. Remember what a pain it was to get the micro-HDMI to HDMI cable for the first few months the EVO 4G came out?
    I can live without that feature for the first few months of this phone though. I think I've used that cable on my EVO 4G only a couple times. It's just a pain to hook your phone to a TV with wires.

I read that the EVO 3D has DLNA. I understand that you don't need cables with that

Quote Originally Posted by Averix View Post
    It's just a pain to hook your phone to a TV with wires.
    Its a lot easier than a laptop . especially if your going somewhere

Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock rooted

Quote Originally Posted by myriam View Post
    I read that the EVO 3D has DLNA. I understand that you don't need cables with that
    Yep that's true, I am happy to say that i will be able use this feature with my 55NX810. I have a feeling i will need the cable to play the 3d though unless the DLNA is as fast as HDMI 1.4.

ROM
    Stock on most

Default HTC adapter

Looks like HTC may sell or package an adapter for the HDMI. Here's one they are using at Google I/O to output the 3D and the Flyer to TVs. Sorry for the blurry pic. Tough to take pics when people keep interrupting the focusing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Evo 3d MHL and something you may not know-adapter.jpg  

Obviously I'm no expert on this, as it isn't even available yet, but...

My understanding is the port can accept a regular micro HDMI cable and connect just fine to a regular HDMI jack (same as the Evo 4G) and work just fine. If you want the advanced features like charging and controlling your phone with the tv remote and all that, you will need to connect it to a tv supports MHL, and none exist yet.

The adapter picture din the post above is to provide a USB port for charging while connected through HDMI, because the phone was connected to a tv that does not support MHL.

Since nobody has made a tv that supports MHL yet, none of us have a tv that will be taking advantage of those features.

Quote Originally Posted by WatermelonSlim View Post
    Obviously I'm no expert on this, as it isn't even available yet, but...

My understanding is the port can accept a regular micro HDMI cable and connect just fine to a regular HDMI jack (same as the Evo 4G) and work just fine.
    Has this been confirmed? If true that's great; we can use our EVO 4G HDMI cable. I was under the impression the MHL port would accommodate micro USB to HDMI if not a MHL cable. Will a micro HDMI work?
    Wireless in the District and now supersonic on WiMAX with the EVO 4G!

Does monoprice, amazon, etc. sell cheap cables that work for the Evo 4G? I hate paying the outrageous prices some stores charge for hdmi cables.

Sorry if this has been answered or is common knowledge, but I am curious and I had to create my first post so that I could see the attached image above.

ROM
    Stock on most

The port on the 3D will not take the micro hdmi cable. It has to be a micro usb/mhl cable or an adapter like the pic. Sorry, the cables you're using on the EVO 4G will not work.

Global Posts
    346 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by myriam View Post
    As long as you have a TV that's compatible :/

Quote Originally Posted by Averix View Post
    The port on the 3D will not take the micro hdmi cable. It has to be a micro usb/mhl cable or an adapter like the pic. Sorry, the cables you're using on the EVO 4G will not work.
    Yeah, looks like you are correct. After a bit of research I found that the MHL standard actually supports any type of connector, with 5 pins being used for the MHL. I was thinking the Evo 3D would have a micro HDMI port to keep it backwards compatible with current cables. But it looks like they went with a micro USB port to keep it backwards compatible with current USB cables and chargers.

So current chargers should work, current HDMI cables won't work without an adapter.

Global Posts
    294 Global Posts

I thought this line was interesting:

He expects the cables to be cheaper than HDMI cables (which are generally sold separately) because they are much thinner and cost less to make.
    This is from the spokesman for the technology, mind you. Sounds like sales BS. Since when does size or even manufacturing cost determine price? The real question is: Are these cables made in mass quantities and available at any walmart or best buy? No.

This cable will be no less than $30 from sprint and maybe in 6 months it'll be available from several websites. But until there's a ton of devices using it, they'll be hard to find and expensive. This guys dream is years away at best.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Quote Originally Posted by redfro1979 View Post

The stuff about using remotes is sweeeeeeeeet, hope it is all correct.
    I found this...
    gonna look more into the remote function probability...