Will anyone else miss the 8 MP camera for novelty of 3D??

chappo2000

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
First thing's first.... there is no doubt that the specs for the Evo 3D are impressive. My concern isn't really what's added by 3D but what's taken away. One of the features I use most on my OG Evo 4G is its 8 MP camera. I regret that that has to be compromised for the novelty of 3D.

Any thoughts on the subject? Lets try to keep it civil.

chappo2000

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
iphone camera is only 5mp, and the pic quality is much better than my evo. it's not all about the megapixel. I have no problem having less megapixel as long the it takes great pix. unless you are printing a huge photo, you really don't need to have a high megapixel camera. but seriously, most ppl take pix on their phone for facebook anyway. haha. do we really need a high megapixel camera for that?

Ronindan

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I am with the inspector on this one. Really good software for the camera is a must. Your camera can be overflowing with mega pixels but with bad software, it won't do any good.
Send by my Android

yourfriendmat

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Not to mention the optics aren't good enough to even start worrying about megapixels. The tiny lenses don't have enough resolving power to make use of even 5MP, and the light gather power is such that you can barely take pictures if you aren't outside (but that's just because I don't like the washed out bluish look of the LED flash).

As point of reference, 5MP means 5 megapixels which is 5 million pixels. Your 50 inch 1080p TV has 1920x1080 pixels which is only 2,073,600 pixels. This shows two things: MPs don't mean everything (obviously your TV still looks awesome) and the phone doesn't take advantage of the CCD chip's full power (think about how bad a 5 or 8MP cell phone picture looks on a huge display like that even though it is higher resolution). I'm pretty sure the only reason cell companies put these chips into phones today is because the bigger number sucks in customers.

DCLocal

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
The geek in me will miss the 8MP from a technical perspective but I agree with the others, it's not all about mega pixels. For sure I won't miss the file size or all the noise that is abundantly evident when viewing a picture from my 4G at full resolution.

I won't know if I really miss the EVO 4G 8MP camera until I try out the camera in the 3D but if it is of better quality or has better optimized drivers it may well deliver much higher quality pictures compared to the 4G, and I expect it will.

themuffinman

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Personally it was cool at first to say my evo has an 8mp camera but when me and my little sister took some pics(me using my evo) with her iphone4 at night I was humbled big time. Being able to take decent pics in medium to low light definitely has more weight than a higher megapixel count.

MikeBinOK

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
One of the few good things about the 3D capability is that it may cause the camera to be treated as more than an afterthought. A good 5 MP camera will give better pics than a mediocre 8 MP one. More likely, they'll just hold everything equal except cut the pixels back. Even then, will be hard to tell the difference.

lafester

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
One of the few good things about the 3D capability is that it may cause the camera to be treated as more than an afterthought. A good 5 MP camera will give better pics than a mediocre 8 MP one. More likely, they'll just hold everything equal except cut the pixels back. Even then, will be hard to tell the difference.

got to agree with this. with 3d they are hyping up the camera big time so it better be the best damn phone camera out there no matter what the mp is.

user7618

May 17, 2010
Visit site
As my Hero only has a 5mp camera, I can't say that I will miss the 8mp. :p

-----
Sent from my CDMA Hero. I got some hot Ginger-on-Hero action here!

STL 314

May 13, 2011
Visit site
it really doesn't matter about the megapixels for example the Nexus S has a better camera than the Evo

Last edited:

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I agree with everyone here about the whole megapixel thing. And think about it, the Evo 4G can only record video in 720p, the Evo 3d can do it in 1080p when not recording in 3d. So there you have it, you lost nothing, instead you gained something.

aruth09

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Coming from the palm pre. I can't wait to beable to take pics that good. The pre's camra is horable. Plus there's no auto focus. Or focus at all. Can't wait to send my friends with iphones pics that they can actually tell what it is.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums