Will we be able to use the charger from the EVO 4G for the EVO 3D

lyle

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I just wanted to know if we will be about to use the car charger we use for the EVO as well as the charger that came in the case with the EVO 4G for the EVO 3D or did they make the phone so that we will have to buy new chargers?

themuffinman

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
I just wanted to know if we will be about to use the car charger we use for the EVO as well as the charger that came in the case with the EVO 4G for the EVO 3D or did they make the phone so that we will have to buy new chargers?

The evo 3d uses a mhl port which is a combination of usb/hdmi, so a standard micro usb charger won't fit if I am not mistaken. Someone else correct me if I am wrong.

momentandroid

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
The evo 3d uses a mhl port which is a combination of usb/hdmi, so a standard micro usb charger won't fit if I am not mistaken. Someone else correct me if I am wrong.

no the mhl port is just a modified micro usb, a regular micro usb cord will work. it just won't have the properties of mhl. just like you can use a regular hdmi to micro usb, it just won't charge it.

themuffinman

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
no the mhl port is just a modified micro usb, a regular micro usb cord will work. it just won't have the properties of mhl. just like you can use a regular hdmi to micro usb, it just won't charge it.

Oh ok, guess I stand corrected. From the evo 3d videos I have seen the shape of the port looks a little different than a micro.

Auzo

May 25, 2010
Visit site
MHL really has no bearing on the type of connector port used. All the magic happens internally. A run of the mill microUSB port is used on the EVO3D. All of your existing cables and chargers will work just fine with it. When you plug in an MHL cable thats when the magic happens. An MHL cable is simply a microUSB connector on one side and a standard HDMI connector on the other. The only difference is that the microUSB side has a slightly different impedance than normal so that the phone can recognize an MHL cable is connected and internally switch from the USB subsystem to the MHL subsystem.

jimmiekain

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
This was concern I had as well, I bought 2 extra chargers for my evo so i have 3 keep one in the bedroom, one down stairs and one at work. Nice to know I wont have to buy all new ones for my evo when it comes out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair