Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Will we be able to use the charger from the EVO 4G for the EVO 3D

I just wanted to know if we will be about to use the car charger we use for the EVO as well as the charger that came in the case with the EVO 4G for the EVO 3D or did they make the phone so that we will have to buy new chargers?

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

As of late, all Androids phone used the same chargers, I even got my Palm Pre thar work on my current Evo.

Quote Originally Posted by lyle View Post
    I just wanted to know if we will be about to use the car charger we use for the EVO as well as the charger that came in the case with the EVO 4G for the EVO 3D or did they make the phone so that we will have to buy new chargers?
    The evo 3d uses a mhl port which is a combination of usb/hdmi, so a standard micro usb charger won't fit if I am not mistaken. Someone else correct me if I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by themuffinman View Post
    The evo 3d uses a mhl port which is a combination of usb/hdmi, so a standard micro usb charger won't fit if I am not mistaken. Someone else correct me if I am wrong.
    no the mhl port is just a modified micro usb, a regular micro usb cord will work. it just won't have the properties of mhl. just like you can use a regular hdmi to micro usb, it just won't charge it.

Quote Originally Posted by momentandroid View Post
    no the mhl port is just a modified micro usb, a regular micro usb cord will work. it just won't have the properties of mhl. just like you can use a regular hdmi to micro usb, it just won't charge it.
    Oh ok, guess I stand corrected. From the evo 3d videos I have seen the shape of the port looks a little different than a micro.

Quote Originally Posted by themuffinman View Post
    Oh ok, guess I stand corrected. From the evo 3d videos I have seen the shape of the port looks a little different than a micro.
    it probably is, to accomodate MHL so you don't try to stick an MHL cable into a microUSB port. but it can still accept a normal microUSB cable.

Global Posts
    355 Global Posts

MHL really has no bearing on the type of connector port used. All the magic happens internally. A run of the mill microUSB port is used on the EVO3D. All of your existing cables and chargers will work just fine with it. When you plug in an MHL cable thats when the magic happens. An MHL cable is simply a microUSB connector on one side and a standard HDMI connector on the other. The only difference is that the microUSB side has a slightly different impedance than normal so that the phone can recognize an MHL cable is connected and internally switch from the USB subsystem to the MHL subsystem.

ROM
    Stock / Stock

This was concern I had as well, I bought 2 extra chargers for my evo so i have 3 keep one in the bedroom, one down stairs and one at work. Nice to know I wont have to buy all new ones for my evo when it comes out.