Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    ROM
    UNROOTED :-(

Default Signed Bootloader, are you still getting it?

Now that the bootloader is confirmed signed, will you still be getting it? Why?

signed boatloader means nothing, encrypted bootloader does, do we know if the bootloader is encrypted or not.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    ROM

Some of the dev's in irc room seem to be upset that it's signed. Why do you say it means nothing?

ROM
    CM7 on G Tab

According to Android Police it is encrypted.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    ROM

Have any encrypted devices been fully rooted to date?

Quote Originally Posted by tes5884 View Post
    Some of the dev's in irc room seem to be upset that it's signed. Why do you say it means nothing?
    cause I have a nexus s 4g and it has a signed bootloader, and it can be rooted in 5 min. The problem is encrypted bootloader.

Have any encrypted devices been fully rooted to date?
    Partialy rooted yes, fully rooted no.

Partially rooted = you can use apps that require root such as Titanium Back.

Full Root = Flashing different roms. I don't think this has been done on any Encrypted bootloader phone yet.

Well according to android police I just read its true, so this phone will not be able to get custom roms. Therefore I'm no longer interested. Waiting for the GS2 now.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    ROM

According to irc dev's its cryptographically signed (not necessarily encrypted - I don't quite get this ) and there are quite a few exploits that might not have been patched.

There is hope yet!

well cryptographically signed is the same that motorolla is doing and it hasn't been cracked yet.

Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

This is something that has me a little worried. I want a phone that i can hack till my hearts content, but it must also be super high on specs(ie no nexus s 4g). I hope theres a way around this.
    Sanyo basic Flip phone- Moto Krazer- Moto Razer2- Palm Pre - Evo 3D

According to irc dev's its cryptographically signed (not necessarily encrypted - I don't quite get this ) and there are quite a few exploits that might not have been patched.

There is hope yet!
    Where did you hear this? Mind linking (and sorry of linking isn't kosher in this way...if not, a PM would be awesome too.)

Unfortunately, I was wholeheartedly on the Evo 3D boat, but with this news, I'm seriously doubting whether I still want it. Wish Sprint had something on the near horizon that I could look forward to (other than the SGSII, since who knows when that'll be).

Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric View Post
    Partialy rooted yes, fully rooted no.

Partially rooted = you can use apps that require root such as Titanium Back.

Full Root = Flashing different roms. I don't think this has been done on any Encrypted bootloader phone yet.
    This is not true. All an encrypted (or locked) bootloader means is that you can't install custom kernels, which aren't required to root or flash different ROMS. It is only necessary to flash certain ones (like CyanogenMod) but plenty of other ROM developers make ROMS just as good as CyanogenMod using the approved kernels that the manufacturers provide. The Motorola bootloader still hasn't been cracked (& probably never will be) but there are plenty of great ROMs using the Froyo kernel & even Gingerbread ROMs using the kernel from the Droid X/Droid 2 Gingerbread leaks that was signed by Motorola.

Someone will still get the EVO 3D rooted, there will be apps that allow overclocking/undervolting to increase speed/extend battery life, & there will be ROMs.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do." -Oscar Gamble

-----------------------------------------
    Droid X (Liberty 3 v2.0)
    Droid Incredible (CM 7.2.0 RC1)
    Nook Color w/ 8GB N2A card
    -----------------------------------------
    Thanked by:

ROM
    CM7 on G Tab

Android Police

ROM
    Stock

As long as I get superuser access, I am still going to get it. However, I can absolutely see where many people would find this limitation unnaceptable. Hopefully the Galaxy S II is more open.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
    This is not true. All an encrypted (or locked) bootloader means is that you can't install custom kernels, which aren't required to root or flash different ROMS. It is only necessary to flash certain ones (like CyanogenMod) but plenty of other ROM developers make ROMS just as good as CyanogenMod using the approved kernels that the manufacturers provide. The Motorola bootloader still hasn't been cracked (& probably never will be) but there are plenty of great ROMs using the Froyo kernel & even Gingerbread ROMs using the kernel from the Droid X/Droid 2 Gingerbread leaks that was signed by Motorola.

Someone will still get the EVO 3D rooted, there will be apps that allow overclocking/undervolting to increase speed/extend battery life, & there will be ROMs.
    I dont think you're getting it. Not only did HTC sign the bootloader, they also signed the kernel AND the recovery. I'm not going to say its impossible but this will probably be the hardest phone for them to get full root to thats ever been seen. And if it does happen, it probably wont be full root. And even if they circumvent that, EVERYTHING that gets flashed will basically have to be based from stock... which SUCKS.

If you can't load a custom recovery image you can't load a custom ROM. Sure you can get root and run root apps but that is about it.

The only way is if someone leaks the keys....

ROM
    Stock on most

My EVO 4G will become the ROM tester and dev toy. The EVO 3D not being hackable at the start isn't that big of a deal to me. It will get cracked eventually.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    ACS Jelly Bean RC1, Stock

Don't worry, we will get an engineering Hboot and every thing will be business as usual, lets not act like this is the end of the world... that, was Saturday =P

"In Soviet Russia, Android roots you!"

I'm here because like you, I have questions that I need answered, and help those like me, with questions of their own.
    "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
    -Isaac Newton, Letter to Robert Hooke, February 5, 1675

ROM
    CM7 Nightly 148

A signed abd encrypted bootloader is an instant no buy for me, and as long as HTC is locking and encrypting they're bootloaders I won't be buying any more of they're products. My next phone will be the next Nexus phone.

Sent from my HTC Droid Nexus with Tapatalk.
    Rooted Droid Incredible
    +CM7
    +MIUI Camrea
    +ADW Launcher EX
    +Launcher2
    +Vignette
    +Synergy Theme
    +Blue Gingerbread ADW Theme
    +Nexus One Boot Animation
    +Widgets. Lots of widgets.
    =Pure awesome.

All phones come with a locked bootloader. Don't worry it will be rooted.

Follow this link. It explains about locked bootloaders and such.

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    ROM
    MikG 2.56/Freedom 0.9

Quote Originally Posted by huskers15 View Post
    Follow this link. It explains about locked bootloaders and such.

Great link! Maybe we should link that article to the OP...

ROM
    CM7 on G Tab

Atrix rumor on Sprint
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast