Google Wallet and EVO3D's Lack of NFC

Auzo

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I already had some apprehension getting the EVO3D without NFC and that was before Google Wallet was announced. Now that a realistic use for NFC seems to be right around the corner it makes it that much harder. I was torn between the SGSII and the EVO3D before, but this may push me over towards the dark side.

How do you all justify not having NFC with the 3D?

toad6386

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Not completely familiar with the technology and the protocols used for it, but feel the security concerns outweigh my desire to use my phone for transactions rather reach in my back pocket for my wallet. Not enough of a convenience to be a deal breaker, for me, that is.

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
SGSII has NFC?

If Google Wallet takes off, then by the time your due for your next upgrade, there will finally be enough places accepting it as payment, and it will work with enough major cards/banks to justify getting a phone that can use it. =)

Reactions: BiGsMiLeSKyLe

Auzo

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, now that Google just made the announcement, I feel like half a year from now, I will be left out..
full release in summer is what Google says. So initial functionality will be missed in as little as 1-2 months after this phone comes out. But I agree it will take at least half a year to really branch out.

Not completely familiar with the technology and the protocols used for it, but feel the security concerns outweigh my desire to use my phone for transactions rather reach in my back pocket for my wallet. Not enough of a convenience to be a deal breaker, for me, that is.

Security concerns are always important to keep in mind. I remember early Credit Cards with NFC systems were found to be very susceptible to attack from people with specialized equipment which wasn't that difficult to get. They could steal your info from 100s of feet away. But like all technology, it has improved. Most of these exploits are no longer possible and safe measures have been added in. Frankly this is more safe than your average Credit Card with NFC as it can have active security measures instead of only passive ones.

SGSII has NFC?

If Google Wallet takes off, then by the time your due for your next upgrade, there will finally be enough places accepting it as payment, and it will work with enough major cards/banks to justify getting a phone that can use it. =)

SGSII does have the option for NFC depending on market. I am assuming the US one will have it but can't be sure yet.

With the new change to Sprint's upgrade policy it will be 2 years, not one, before most people can upgrade. That is a long time, I'd say at the minimum 1.5 years where you will wish you had NFC.

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site

Couldn't have said it better myself. Give it some time to get established. One or two phones and one test market are not enough to warrant worrying about NFC at this point. I'm still a bit worried about the security too. My phone is fast becoming the "everything" point and already has too much info about me on it.

areinus

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I think it'll likely take at least a year for Google Wallet to be available at enough retailers to make me want it. Otherwise, Google has said that you can still apply an "NFC Sticker" to phones lacking the NFC chip to use the Google Wallet services.

I think I'll be sticking with the EVO 3D, thank you very much...

Jackietreehorn

May 15, 2011
Visit site
While it's a near certainty that the 3D won't have it, until we see final specs, it's still possible. I'd like to think that Sprint would have the foresight to include this in what looks like it'll be their flagship phone, but unfortunately, I feel like I know better.

I remember reading a while back about NFC on and SD card so that you'd be able to add NFC to phones that don't have it natively. Gonna have to go look for links, because assuming it wasn't prohibitively costly, might be a good deal for people who want this particular handset, but don't want to miss out until their next upgrade.

Jackietreehorn

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I think it'll likely take at least a year for Google Wallet to be available at enough retailers to make me want it. Otherwise, Google has said that you can still apply an "NFC Sticker" to phones lacking the NFC chip to use the Google Wallet services.

True. Last I read though, the stickers didn't really interface with the phone, they were essentially a "dumb NFC" chip, meaning that I'm not sure how Google Wallet would work with it, if at all. I could be wrong though, it was a while ago that I saw this?

Auzo

May 25, 2010
Visit site

Oh I didn't see that that is definitely good news. That could possibly hold me over.

True. Last I read though, the stickers didn't really interface with the phone, they were essentially a "dumb NFC" chip, meaning that I'm not sure how Google Wallet would work with it, if at all. I could be wrong though, it was a while ago that I saw this?

I think its will be like a sticker with a QR code or something you can scan with your camera. I think Iphone does something similar to this.

Reactions: Jackietreehorn

BroadcastJunkie

May 17, 2011
Visit site
dont get me wrong this is a step in the right direction. but it will need time to streamline into a lot of uses. like public transportation, where all you would need is your phone for everything. but, its to early to make a decision based on this one aspect alone

Slayix312

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Like everyone else said. It's to early imo to worry about NFC. It's not well established enough to make a big impact yet. Maybe in another year or so it will become big enough that more places will integrate it. The only place I have even noticed around here that takes NFC capable equipment/cards is McDonalds.

svinyard

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
NFC will be cool next year perhaps, especially if the infrastructure takes off for it. This is certainly not a technology I want to be an early adopter for...at least for my credit card info. Not a big deal. Hoping E3D gets unlocked too. HTC's facebook page is getting slammed

garrettfarnum

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
You don't NEED an NFC chip to use NFC. You can get a little "sticker thingy" (I don't know what it's called) that you can get linked to your card and put it on the back of your phone. That's just for credit cards and such but I'm sure it can be implemented other ways.

Sent from my (almost) HTC Evo 3D using Tapatalk

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
You don't NEED an NFC chip to use NFC. You can get a little "sticker thingy" (I don't know what it's called) that you can get linked to your card and put it on the back of your phone. That's just for credit cards and such but I'm sure it can be implemented other ways.

Sent from my (almost) HTC Evo 3D using Tapatalk

Yes, but that defeats the purpose of G-wallet. With G-wallet, you get the security of needing to input a pin on the phone.

FocusFreak

Banned
May 8, 2011
Visit site
One of the main reasons I choose the Nexus S over the 3D. NFC will be much more useful in the coming months than 3D will ever be or even a dual core processor IMO. NFC is more than just Google Wallet. Looks what devs are doing with it on XDA. Writing their own tags with the Nexus S and making them for different phone settings so all you have to do is tap your phone to your tag instead of going into menus and changing everything yourself. Those who think it will take over a year to catch on must not have seen the press conference today, There are already a bunch of businesses ready to go at launch, it will only be available in 5 major cities at the start though, but I live in one of em :) Here is more info on it

Google Wallet, Offers make debut (live blog) | Signal Strength - CNET News

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith