Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Sense 3.0 - Weather is great but...

The Evo 3D will be my first Android device. I use the Palm Pre original right now and it's dying.

Has anyone seen a change log for Sense 3.0 or a list of new features? I am all for cool weather animations and animated carousels, please don't get me wrong. The new lock screen is pretty awesome too. I am aware of the new task manager, notification enhancements too. I am interested in learning about other new or improved Sense features.

Quote Originally Posted by preViously View Post
    The Evo 3D will be my first Android device. I use the Palm Pre original right now and it's dying.

Has anyone seen a change log for Sense 3.0 or a list of new features? I am all for cool weather animations and animated carousels, please don't get me wrong. The new lock screen is pretty awesome too. I am aware of the new task manager, notification enhancements too. I am interested in learning about other new or improved Sense features.
    Yeah, in reading your post i realize how much they really did talk up the weather features, atleast in the videos I have seen

Go play with an HTC flyer at Best Buy

Global Posts
    4,620 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by dhMassacre View Post
    Go play with an HTC flyer at Best Buy
    The flyer has quite a few things that are totally different than regular Sense 3.0. Best example is the mail application, among others, that actually splits the screen sort of how Outlook handles email on a PC.

OP,

Basically, you described all the changes. There are a bunch of small differences here and there, but for the most part, you described the major changes. Little things like being on a website and shrinking down the website to land up in window mode where you can choose between several open web pages and the new way the app launcher handles scrolling as well as the improved notification bar were all part of Sense 2.1 as found on the Thunderbolt. There are probably quite a few more changes in Sense 3.0, but for the most part, it's a graphical update. Sense has been very popular with a lot of users, so instead of re-inventing the wheel and alienating fans, HTC went safe and just gave the graphics a steroid injection.

I am still wondering what will happen when ICS comes out. Since it is supposed to be the version of Android that will bring Honeycomb and Gingerbread together, with the UI looking more like Honeycomb, I am wondering how HTC will react to that?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I wonder if there are any other small updates... to the calendar, contacts, etc...

I thought the same thing regarding ICS... how will Sense evolve. I suppose the answer to that depends on how well Google implements graphical aspects of it. HTC has a pretty good track record so far with Sense, so perhaps they will do well there too.

Global Posts
    4,620 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by preViously View Post
    I wonder if there are any other small updates... to the calendar, contacts, etc...

I thought the same thing regarding ICS... how will Sense evolve. I suppose the answer to that depends on how well Google implements graphical aspects of it. HTC has a pretty good track record so far with Sense, so perhaps they will do well there too.
    Yes, both the calendar and contacts app received updates as well. Go on Youtube and do a search for recent HTC Sensation video reviews, you will get a better idea that way.

Global Posts
    543 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanRom

The way Sense 3.0 syncs contacts should not be overlooked. As a former pre owner, one frustration I've had w/Android is you have to manually sync contacts if u bring Facebook/Twitter, etc to ur phone book. I ran Sense 3 on my Evo w/ a rom and those improvements were pretty sweet. Basically when u first sync up ur google account, it'll notify you of available connections and u can choose to accept each one or decline.

Another nice addition is calendar syncing options, and power save...just endless options. I loved Web OS and Android has been pretty good, but the new Sense is the best UI by far!
    Samsung Instinct > Palm Pre > HTC EVO > Evo 3D > Samsung GSIII on VZW

If you want to see the most of the 3D and Sense 3.0 that I have seen so far, check out this video, I've watched it a few times

Sense has also been expanded in scope to included other apps like gps etc. go to the htc sense website and find the interactive demo. Its kinda cool

ROM
    deck1.3d/matr1x10.5cfs

Honestly, Im not a fan of a lot of the ascetics of Sense. I love some things, but it seems like they bevel and emboss every single button, like a kid who just learnt photoshop.

The widgets get me though, and the lock screens look cool.
    I wish they had a messaging lock screen instead of the social media one, its be really cool to instantly read your text messages like that.

When I saw a demo, I saw that when there was a missed call when using any of the lock screens, the focal point of the lock screen (clock, weather, whatever) was replaces with a box telling you about the missed call. I hope they do that with messaging as well.
    Motorola Q > Palm Pre > [HL]Google Nexus S 4G[/HL]
    More awesome than a shark high-fiving a bear while having sex with a unicorn during an explosion in space...

All the cool kids click the "Thanks" button on my posts...

You can just use handcent or some other messaging device to get lockscreen popups. I'd rather have that then a whole lock screen just for it. I'd venture a guess that the OOTB messaging app has it as well.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

I think a messaging lock screen would be great too! I'm not a Facebook user at all, and don't want to be. reading text messages without unlocking and going into an app would be nice.

Global Posts
    4,620 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I will probably use the weather lock screen.

Global Posts
    543 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanRom

In the time I had with the Kingdom rom, the social media lockscreen seemed cool, but it didn't allow you to scroll more than like the 2/3 most recent tweets/FB posts. Maybe there was still some lacking functionality due to it being wrapped over my Evo hardware, but it might not be all it looks to be.
    Samsung Instinct > Palm Pre > HTC EVO > Evo 3D > Samsung GSIII on VZW

Sense 3.0 has a new Keyboard function basically EXACTLY like the Swype keyboard called HTC Trace. You can of course disable this feature and tweak it as needed.

This video is great. Gets me more excited for the launch!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DeCourseyyy View Post
    Honestly, Im not a fan of a lot of the ascetics of Sense. I love some things, but it seems like they bevel and emboss every single button, like a kid who just learnt photoshop.
    What exactly is wrong with a consistent UI? If half the buttons were beveled and embossed it would like an ***** who doesn't understand design made it. Maybe its just me, but too many right angles makes things look flat and boring sometimes.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by DeCourseyyy View Post

The widgets get me though, and the lock screens look cool.
    I wish they had a messaging lock screen instead of the social media one, its be really cool to instantly read your text messages like that.

When I saw a demo, I saw that when there was a missed call when using any of the lock screens, the focal point of the lock screen (clock, weather, whatever) was replaces with a box telling you about the missed call. I hope they do that with messaging as well.
    i believe the lockscreen does have a tie in with messaging im running a sense 2.1 rom with some sense 3.0 aspects and one is the lockscreen and when i receive and new message i am presented with a big box that has the first line of the text in there.

Can anyone confirm that in landscape mode everything changes (like the Epic 4G) ???
    Sometimes i can see that come in handy -
    Palm Pre 6-6-09
    HTC EVO 6-4-10
    HTC EVO 3D 6-24-11

My Phone Has 3 Camera's, How Many Does Yours Have?!?!

Global Posts
    4,620 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by EvoNY View Post
    Can anyone confirm that in landscape mode everything changes (like the Epic 4G) ???
    Sometimes i can see that come in handy -
    What exactly do you mean by everything changing in landscape mode?

Quote Originally Posted by wirelessness View Post
    Sense 3.0 has a new Keyboard function basically EXACTLY like the Swype keyboard called HTC Trace. You can of course disable this feature and tweak it as needed.
    based on some reviews, they say skip it and install swype if that's your preferred input method

Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    What exactly do you mean by everything changing in landscape mode?
    When you rotate into landscape mode does all the icons and weather widget/clock etc. rotate as well on screen?
    Palm Pre 6-6-09
    HTC EVO 6-4-10
    HTC EVO 3D 6-24-11

My Phone Has 3 Camera's, How Many Does Yours Have?!?!

Global Posts
    4,620 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

When you rotate into landscape mode does all the icons and weather widget/clock etc. rotate as well on screen?
    No they do not. This only works on phones with keyboards and the HTC Flyer, which is a tablet.

Go on YouTube and watch some of the Evo 3d videos, you'll see how it works. It's just like on the Evo 4g.

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts

Could be wrong, but it didnt look like it did, but not a deal breaker for me because the WEBOS icons did not rotate either and would stay in place on the home screen.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

WebOS has synergy where it will bring in all your contacts, emails, etc from multiple vendors (Yahoo, gmail, etc). Can Sense / Android do that too all in one view?