Free App Memory.

Djblue

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
But where, traditionally you have the following: Internal Phone Storage (Apps/Settings Only), Internal SD Card (Partitioned Space for storing Data like Pictures and Videos) and External SD Card (Micro SD Card) all of this is usually listed under 'SD & phone storage' under settings. The screen shots and videos clearly show the Internal Phone Memory and the External SD Card but nothing else.
credit to EarlyMon, a mod of another popular forum-

So, the 4 GB is being used by- 1) the underlying system to make the phone work as a phone, 2) the operating system, 3) HTC and Sprint apps and 4) your apps - and probably a little hidden for future update needs.

The HTC apps supporting the new Sense and 3D are going to be very big. The Sense 3.0 alone needs over 500 MB.

Giving 1 GB for apps is really a lot - and some of that will be taken up by the pre-installed and included apps.

Android apps are small. Example - on my phone, my apps range from 10 kB to 1 MB in size - I would say that the average size is maybe 300 kB.

So, you can store hundreds of apps in that 1 GB space - and then store more on the SD card.

Thetaman

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site

So, the 4 GB is being used by- 1) the underlying system to make the phone work as a phone, 2) the operating system, 3) HTC and Sprint apps and 4) your apps - and probably a little hidden for future update needs.

The HTC apps supporting the new Sense and 3D are going to be very big. The Sense 3.0 alone needs over 500 MB.

Giving 1 GB for apps is really a lot - and some of that will be taken up by the pre-installed and included apps.

Android apps are small. Example - on my phone, my apps range from 10 kB to 1 MB in size - I would say that the average size is maybe 300 kB.

So, you can store hundreds of apps in that 1 GB space - and then store more on the SD card.

While I agree with most of what you have to say above. I'm not sure where you get that Android apps are small? I've noticed over the last year with updates that apps seem to be getting bigger and bigger as they make updates and add new functionality to them.

I have 68 apps on my EVO that are over 1MB....and that list might be larger because some I've moved to the SD Card. 27apps additional apps over 300k. Only 19 apps that are under 300K. Of which 5 are skins and 5 are keys to premium access. That leaves 9 apps under 300k. I think that's why people want more and more storage because the apps are getting larger. Luckily moving to SD card helps with this.

docangle1

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I still don't get it, the Sensation is marketed as a 1GB device yet has 1GB free of Internal Memory. Also the system dump was only 368MB.

So why is the Sensation marketed as 1GB device yet has the same availave App Free Space?

VickMackey#AC

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Can we all flood HTC's Facebook page and ask them WhyTF don't they put more internal storage into their devices and offer more of that storage for apps?!?!?!?

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Can we all flood HTC's Facebook page and ask them WhyTF don't they put more internal storage into their devices and offer more of that storage for apps?!?!?!?

;) Check HTC's Thunderbolt forums. People are still flooding them about the misrepresentation of the internal storage on that device. I'm surprised they'd do that again with the EVO 3D.
If they'd provide us a tool to remove crap apps like NASCAR, that would definitely help.

I agree though, they need to put more in by default. Regardless of how much they give me, I'll find a way to fill it up. :)

theotherlinh

Apr 21, 2011
theotherlinh.com

i think the bigger question is why is this even a problem while we have mSD slots. I'm new to android, but i recall this is more google's fault than anything (and it was fixed? you can run apps from mSD now right?)

VickMackey#AC

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
i think the bigger question is why is this even a problem while we have mSD slots. I'm new to android, but i recall this is more google's fault than anything (and it was fixed? you can run apps from mSD now right?)

I've been browing app brain and a lot of app makers say don't install to SD card

ksumanth

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if they are saving this place to cache their instant watch 3d/2d movies for quick access. I would like to see more onboard space to as that will speed up access

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
If you do an average of 5 mb (which I believe to be a little high) per app, that's 200 apps! I'm already overwhelmed with 60 apps and I'm constantly removing apps that I don't use. Not to make space but because it bothers me to have scroll through a bunch of apps I don't use. But that's just me maybe you guys use a lot more apps:)
Say No to app hoarding! :p
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Thetaman

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Any word on being able to put apps in folders to help clean and organize a little?

You can do that with ADW Ex launcher. Essentially create sub app lists that you populate with your favorite apps. However, you'd have to quit using Sense to do that....so not sure that's possible for you. Honestly, HTC could implement it if they wanted to...they just haven't.

enthuz

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
You can do that with ADW Ex launcher. Essentially create sub app lists that you populate with your favorite apps. However, you'd have to quit using Sense to do that....so not sure that's possible for you. Honestly, HTC could implement it if they wanted to...they just haven't.

Sad! Thanks for the heads up.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800