Already posted in application form but wanted to share with you guys

evo3dorbbm

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Google Eyes iMessage, Readies Rival Service | PCWorld

Cellphone Carriers Face Pressure Over Texting - WSJ.com

I WOULD LOVE THIS AND SWITCHING TO THE EVO 3D WOULD BE SO MUCH MORE EASIER!!

" Google Inc., whose Android software is the most popular operating system on smartphones, has also recently worked on a messaging application, a person familiar with the matter said.
The new messaging tools?answers to Research In Motion Ltd.'s popular BlackBerry Messenger?are a growing threat to a texting business that generated $25 billion in revenue in the U.S. and Canada last year."

BBM is the only thing I'll miss from my blackberry and I put off switching for a year and might do it again because of bbm. All my friends have bbm and mostly everyone from the area I live in has it but once iOS 5 comes out a lot of people will switch for imessenger and if android makes one I know people will switch. I hope you can make status's and such with it.

One thing BBM has over imessage is status and pic updates.

theotherlinh

Apr 21, 2011
theotherlinh.com
I don't like where this is going. too much vendor lock in for me. I might as well go back to email so long as everyone is set up for push email notification (yes, I'm exaggerating).

the reason I like SMS is I can generally talk to anyone regardless of the phone they have. Now, I wouldn't mind something geared toward smartphones as an alternative to SMS since we're all data tethered, but let it work cross platform. or use some standard (doesn't XMPP accomplish a good bit?).

evo3dorbbm

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't like where this is going. too much vendor lock in for me. I might as well go back to email so long as everyone is set up for push email notification (yes, I'm exaggerating).

the reason I like SMS is I can generally talk to anyone regardless of the phone they have. Now, I wouldn't mind something geared toward smartphones as an alternative to SMS since we're all data tethered, but let it work cross platform. or use some standard (doesn't XMPP accomplish a good bit?).

I see what you mean but you can still SMS and have a nice messenger :D

But in my situation is most of my friends will probably switch to android/iPhone the only reason they have blackberries is because of bbm. So I will mostly use the android messanger (HOPEFULLY!!) and SMS the rest.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
What's so much better with bbm that people like it over texting? Is it because you can set it so you can see if the other person read your message and that you can see when the other person is typing? Trillian shows you when the other person is typing and it supports quite a few of the popular messaging services.

Not quite sure what I am missing here.

evo3dorbbm

May 11, 2011
Visit site
What's so much better with bbm that people like it over texting? Is it because you can set it so you can see if the other person read your message and that you can see when the other person is typing? Trillian shows you when the other person is typing and it supports quite a few of the popular messaging services.

Not quite sure what I am missing here.

Status updates, picture updates, great file transfers, voice notes, built into phone. Thats what I like about it. Not a lot of people know what trillian is or use any of those apps.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Well, in that case, hope Google does a good job! Better be compatible with ichat or whatever Apple is going to call their version.

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
That would be great if RIM android and apple came together to make one big one.

Yeah, they could call it yahoo messenger, google talk, aim, windows live messenger, or palringo.

I don't get the fascination with bbm at all. There are lots of IM apps out there that work on every smartphone platform.

yourfriendmat

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
So correct me if I'm wrong, but RIM is basically just facebook? :p That's what we should do. Everyone has to have facebook to use a phone ;) Android already makes you have gmail, so I guess it's really not that far fetched. To be honest, the only thing I don't really like about SMS is the character limit. It's enough like and IM system, and it's instant enough. And personally, I don't want them to know when I'm typing. Sometimes I'm busy, and sometimes I'm just "busy," but I don't want the other person to know the difference. Also, sometimes I start a reply and realize I don't want to deal with it at the moment. If they knew I was typing, they would probably get mad/confused. Lastly, with HTC sense, I have the contact card that shows me their phone number/address, recent facebook status, recent twitter status, recent messages, recent email, facebook pictures, and call history. Maybe I'm missing something, but what else does RIM do that's so special (I've honestly never used a blackberry so I have no clue).

Anyway, I do think it's silly that they keep track of how many texts and minutes you use though. It seems like we should just go all data from the cell companies (and I think it's a process they're slowly initiating).

VickMackey#AC

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I like SMS as it is and sprint doesn't rip you off like the other guys. And I don't like all this see as you type and confirmation BS, that's the beauty of SMS..I send it and forget it...and that's what email is for.

Shenaniguns

May 17, 2010
www.thegunvault.org
BBM is like an instant messenger that doesn't drain batteries like others I've tried for Android. I welcome a BBM type messenger as it is the main way my wife and I communicate while we are at work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007