1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is the EVO 3D a 4G phone? If so, what kind of speeds can I expect?

I'm coming from verizon and I have no idea how this 4g/3g stuff works. I usually have around 1mbps down on verizons 3g, and if I would get slower speeds than that on the evo 3d, I don't think I will buy it.

The Evo 3D is a 4g phone. About the speeds, well it sort of varies depending on where you live.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Well according to the coverage map I live in a 4g area.

What kind of speeds are typical?
    nkd

Global Posts
    608 Global Posts

Ofcourse its a 4g phone. I am sure u knew that. Speeds will be 3-10mb on 4g and between 1-2mb on 3g. If ur in 4g area then you will be plenty happy. Check sprint website for coverage.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks. I honestly didn't know if it was a 4g phone or not because usually 4g phones have 4g in the name of the phone.

Global Posts
    346 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carp00r85 View Post
    Thanks. I honestly didn't know if it was a 4g phone or not because usually 4g phones have 4g in the name of the phone.
    I heard in one of the videos that Sprint was thinking of naming it Evo 4G 3D, but I think Evo 3D sounds better

Global Posts
    646 Global Posts
    ROM
    Motorola Xoom Running ICS

Well I have the Evo 4g and I get about 6-10mpbs down And 1mbps upload

Depends on how close you are to the tower, and how much building the signal has to penetrate.

I get around 1.5Mbps down, but that's inside my house and I live on the tip of coverage. If you're in good distance to a tower, you should be able to get 3-6Mbps consistently.
    nkd

Global Posts
    608 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by drewsg View Post
    Depends on how close you are to the tower, and how much building the signal has to penetrate.

I get around 1.5Mbps down, but that's inside my house and I live on the tip of coverage. If you're in good distance to a tower, you should be able to get 3-6Mbps consistently.
    1.5 is pretty low for 4g, even if I have 1bar inside my house i get around 4-5mb. I have never fallen below 3mb in worst case scenario in other locations.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Well as long as it will be at least as fast as Verizon's 3g I'll be happy.

ROM
    Sense 4.0

Quote Originally Posted by nkd View Post
    1.5 is pretty low for 4g, even if I have 1bar inside my house i get around 4-5mb. I have never fallen below 3mb in worst case scenario in other locations.
    1.5 is about the speeds I get in my office. Building penetration still leaves a bit to be desired, even though my office is more like a bomb shelter when it comes to reception.

Ive gotten up to 13mb down on my evo 4g in the san jose,ca area. yes. 13mb. i was outside tho

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

If you live in San Diego like me...you can expect to get 3G speed.

I can't believe they are going to have the nerve to charge me an extra $10 a month for 4G service when I live in the 7-8th largest city in America...and they don't even have 4G.

Sure...they are "testing" and there about 4 actual blocks in the county that have seen 4G show up on their phones.

I keep getting told we'll have it by the end of the year. Last year I was told we'd have it by the end of 2010.

Charge me for 4G when you actually provide me with the service.

Sorry for the rant...had to get "one post so I can actually see links"...hahaha.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Just checked the coverage map for san diego 4g, and you're right, no 4g at all over there.

Luckily I'm right in the middle of a blue area on the map (4g).

The Clear map is more accurate/updated

It might not mean much, but as a clarification: the $10/mo upcharge is for premium data (aka unlimited). The the thought is that you will use a lot more data on your phone than on a lesser smart phone, so they charge you more to use that premium device. The charge has been attributed to 4G, but that's technically not correct. Although, the extra cash flow does allow them to fund 4G expansion. They are also purposely not releasing 4G in large cities because they want to make sure the networks can handle the demand first, so they test in medium cities.

As far as Californian cities, you really have your governing bodies and policies to thank for 4G issues. There is a lot of red tape to cut through to get it installed, and cities in California have a LOT of restrictions on aesthetics. Your broadcasting equipment has to fit in with the theme of the area. There are also a lot of hoops to jump through as far as equipment placement. Cities will try to force Sprint/WiMax to put the equipment on city property so they can charge outrageous lease prices to make extra cash for the city.

I don't really like how slow the process is going either, but it helps to understand how it works.

Truthfully you will not know untill you test it your self.
    I have an EPIC and 4G for me is sporatic indoors. Great where i live because i am close to a tower.
    3G on the other hand is hit and miss. I have had days where my device is crawling and days where i am getting over 1 meg down. Most of its due to network congestion or location. Again, thats the part where it will vary with your device. Untill you get it and test it with your daily routine there is no clear answer.
    But coming from verizon i hope it is on par with their 3G netowrk.
    I have a personal Sprint Samsung EPIC device, and my work is letting me test out a Verizon Motorola Droid Pro, and i must say on 3G comparisons at work, home and throughout the city (Dallas) i have noticed Verizon 3G seems faster.

But its not a fair comparison. The devices are different. Systems are different. But hey its just an unofficial observation.
    DropBox lets you sync files across Android, iOS, and Desktop Computers. Sign up for free, install, get me and you extra space! DropBox
    Twitter @AndroidTechGuy and @IAmSixNine
    Google+Google+

ROM
    Zedomax OC 1.6 Ghz

Quote Originally Posted by Aztecs View Post
    If you live in San Diego like me...you can expect to get 3G speed.

I can't believe they are going to have the nerve to charge me an extra $10 a month for 4G service when I live in the 7-8th largest city in America...and they don't even have 4G.

Sure...they are "testing" and there about 4 actual blocks in the county that have seen 4G show up on their phones.

I keep getting told we'll have it by the end of the year. Last year I was told we'd have it by the end of 2010.

Charge me for 4G when you actually provide me with the service.

Sorry for the rant...had to get "one post so I can actually see links"...hahaha.
    The $10 is for unlimited data, not 4G like it originally was.

Sent from my (almost) HTC Evo 3D using Tapatalk

3G depends on area. You can get anywhere from dialup speeds to almost 2MB. unfortunately I know this because I do speedtests everywhere to see how poor my 3G really is and makes me more mad.

If you have 4G in your area, normal speeds are 3-6MB range.