Engadget Review

nuprotocol

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Nobody cares about the review not being awesome or not. People thought he was a she, and I was pointing out that she is really a he.

Back on topic: Based on his review Im confident in getting the 3d, he had all radios on and got 14hours. Thats beast compared to my Evo.

androidpirate

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Nobody cares about the review not being awesome or not. People thought he was a she, and I was pointing out that she is really a he.

Back on topic: Based on his review Im confident in getting the 3d, he had all radios on and got 14hours. Thats beast compared to my Evo.

good point on the battery life, people should have no problem getting thru the day with the phone.

Faint

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
The camera lines protruding is a concern for me, granted, the camera isn't a HUGE issue.. if the pictures were important as I thought, I wouldn't be taking it with my camera phone. But realistically, I wonder if there's some accessories that will prevent damaging the camera lens.

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Looks like the S2 is coming July 24th...I am for sure waiting now. Not only to see how bad the 3D issues will be but if the S2 will be the same version it is in Europe. If so, I will be selling my Nexus to get it.

Even if the 3D issues ARE BAD, you don't have to use them. Its still a great phone if you don't use 3D.

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Even if the 3D issues ARE BAD, you don't have to use them. Its still a great phone if you don't use 3D.

Good call. It is not like the GS2 has a fricking awesome 3d screen working in it's favor. it is pretty pathetic that someone will compare a non-3d phone to 3d phone, I am not even buying it for 3d. I probably wont even take pictures in 3d, may be occassionaly, other than that I am content with 2d settings. I certainly wont be playing videos or games in 3d. I tried nintendo 3ds and I was feeling dizzy after 15 mins and almost got sick lol.

VickMackey#AC

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Poor review. Have you seen the thisismynextreview? They all feel rushed. Opinions very on the camera quality. There is no dispute on the speed of the device. I will still get it and review it for myself.

niknag

May 22, 2011
Visit site
After giving the EVO 3d a trial, I have a feeling I'll be going with the GS2 when released ~ Jul 24th. Aside from the slightly fragile build quality on the GS2 (which can easily be remedied with a good case), there is just way more pros going for the GS2. These include silky smooth performance, 1080p video rec, much better pic quality (samples from the European forums), samoled+ looks way better than the evo3d, 20+ hours with 15% still remaining on the battery. The debate between Sense and Touch Wiz is a moot point as I think both will be able to root and run our own ROMs. I know this is an EVO 3d thread and I was really excited about this phone. But across all the reviews so far, there seems to be enough drawbacks, including only 720p vid rec, mediocre 5MP cams, inconsistent voice quality, qhd screen good but not great etc...to sway my decision...

If sprint maintains most of the european form factor of the GS2, I don't see why I would choose to keep the EVO 3d over the GS2.

Samsung Galaxy S II review -- Engadget

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I mean the phone itself. We already know the 3D part of the phone is garbage. Still cant find one reviewer that actually likes it.

why do you think the phone is bad? other than the 3d part. I mean granted it is not going to blow your mind since it is phone first after all. Yea 3d might be be a gimmick and I personally wont use it that much, I just wanna know why it is so bad with the specs it has. I watched the videos on engadget the phone is snappy as hell and didn't see any lag. Who really cares about benchmarks vs the SGS2, I mean you cant really compare the two straight up when one is running at a 35% higher resolution. That is a big differenc, plus I really doubt that quadrant or any other benchmark is optimized for the new adreno 220, since this and the sesation are the first phones to use it. I was actually surprised how fluid the UI was from the lock screen to home screen to launching appications and swiping though home screens.

FocusFreak

Banned
May 8, 2011
Visit site
After giving the EVO 3d a trial, I have a feeling I'll be going with the GS2 when released ~ Jul 24th. Aside from the slightly fragile build quality on the GS2 (which can easily be remedied with a good case), there is just way more pros going for the GS2. These include silky smooth performance, 1080p video rec, much better pic quality (samples from the European forums), samoled+ looks way better than the evo3d, 20+ hours with 15% still remaining on the battery. The debate between Sense and Touch Wiz is a moot point as I think both will be able to root and run our own ROMs. I know this is an EVO 3d thread and I was really excited about this phone. But across all the reviews so far, there seems to be enough drawbacks, including only 720p vid rec, mediocre 5MP cams, inconsistent voice quality, qhd screen good but not great etc...to sway my decision...

If sprint maintains most of the european form factor of the GS2, I don't see why I would choose to keep the EVO 3d over the GS2.

Samsung Galaxy S II review -- Engadget

Wait, do you own the 3D? Inconsistent voice quality as in dropped calls?

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
If people wanna buy sgs2 there is no reason to make up an excuse to get it. Everyone has their chioce, if comes down to what you prefer. I just like HTC way better than samsung. They keep their phones updated and try their best to even update the phones that lack hardware capabilities, like the desire getting gingerbread and HTC making an effort to make it happen. My last samsung phone was captivate, I said I would never buy samsung again even if they make the best, fastest and greatest phone in the world. I cant support a company that doesnt seem sure if they wanna update their phones in the U.S or not.

FocusFreak

Banned
May 8, 2011
Visit site
If people wanna buy sgs2 there is no reason to make up an excuse to get it. Everyone has their chioce, if comes down to what you prefer.

Right, so why do you feel the need to get all upset and reply back when someone says they might prefer another phone and list a few negatives about an HTC phone?

niknag

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Wait, do you own the 3D? Inconsistent voice quality as in dropped calls?

No, I do not own the 3D yet. My mobile phone is my primary device for business meetings on the road and call quality is a top priority. I was basing the call quality concerns off of some of the reviews, including cnet's which stated "We tested the dual-band HTC Evo 3D in New York using Sprint service and call quality was OK. We had no problems hearing our callers, and we didn't notice any type of voice distortion or garbled sounds. However, there was a constant hissing in the background; it was faint enough that we could still carry on conversation, but it was noticeable. Unfortunately, our callers didn't have the best experience. Some said we sounded muffled, while others noted tinny sound quality."

Read more: HTC Evo 3D Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

I use an EVO 4G right now and have no such issues, so these reported incidents on the new 3D has me concerned. Again, none of us will know for sure until we use it in day to day use, so my reasoning is still based on speculation and hands-on reviews from online sources.

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Right, so why do you feel the need to get all upset and reply back when someone says they might prefer another phone and list a few negatives about an HTC phone?

not coming down, you seem to bash a phone that you think is not good for your needs. Tell me that the phone is laggy or has some fatal flaw, going around and posting they dropped the ball and so much for a revolutionary phone. I mean doesn't really contribute to discussion.

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
No, I do not own the 3D yet. My mobile phone is my primary device for business meetings on the road and call quality is a top priority. I was basing the call quality concerns off of some of the reviews, including cnet's which stated "We tested the dual-band HTC Evo 3D in New York using Sprint service and call quality was OK. We had no problems hearing our callers, and we didn't notice any type of voice distortion or garbled sounds. However, there was a constant hissing in the background; it was faint enough that we could still carry on conversation, but it was noticeable. Unfortunately, our callers didn't have the best experience. Some said we sounded muffled, while others noted tinny sound quality."

Read more: HTC Evo 3D Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

I use an EVO 4G right now and have no such issues, so these reported incidents on the new 3D has me concerned. Again, none of us will know for sure until we use it in day to day use, so my reasoning is still based on speculation and hands-on reviews from online sources.

Good point but I am sure if this not something major. if there is a big issue they will fix it with an update. I am glad you are basing your arguement on anythig other than 3d stuff, lol. I am sure all new phones have a bug or two. I dont even use my phone for voice calls that much, but I am sure if this is someting major the will release an update. I can live with ok quality for now, I guess.

EMT J

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Completely horrible review. A review is not an opinion piece, it should consist of black and white feedback. If some feature works great, say so. If some feature stinks, say so. Personal preferences should be left out. She hates sense and that's fine but that shouldn't be a reason to give the phone a demerit.

This hasn't affected my decision to get one though, i will be at best buy on launch day again just like last june. all the other reviews I've read have been positive, cnet gave it 4 stars, bgr said its his favorite Sprint phone as of now. Wall street journal had a good one too. I don't know how endgadget ended up so far off from all the rest.

Reactions: aisenshi

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Alright so I have gone through each and every page in this topic. I will point a few things out for users. By no means did he mention the EVO 3D was a bad device. From the testing it clearly shows poor camera quality, and he did not mean the 8MP on the EVO was better, he just simply mentioned that the EVO 4G 8MP produced nicer looking shots, and by no means did he mean more MP's meant better quality. As for video recording? He literally showed the phone in the video, and which it showed no higher then 720p for video recording. The press release for this device could of been incorrect, or HTC is holding off from adding it to the firmware. Because if any of you read about CTIA it was packing a whole lot of problems on the 1080p recording. He also mentioned that the plastic guard piece over the lenses created a halo effect in the sunlight. Doesn't surprise me, considering it takes up a lot of reflection. If you also read into some of the reviews on this device, it mentions call quality sound tinny and very poor compared to comparable devices. Hopefully for it's sake the issue is firmware.

Again don't assume he was knocking down this phone, he was pointing out the flaws and bad. Just as every site and reviewer does. Engadget WAS biased when it had all the old crew, but most of these guys are newer and don't review like Joshua, Paul or Nilay did since those guys were Apple diehards. All great guys, but tended to be more biased in the way of Apple. I will agree that this is the most solid and in-depth review that has been put up. It shows pictures taken in both modes, shows video output quality, and go's into everything a potential buyer needs.

Still for me after reading BGR, Engadget, and This is my next. I don't seem all that impressed by this device except for the dual-core Snap. They all mentioned that camera/video quality was decent at best. Also EMT, a review is based upon an opinion and feedback, because ultimately it is that one person using that device for say a week. His findings will be based on what he found from using the device. They don't have more then one person doing this review. This is just how it is. Also BGR mentioned it was his favorite Sprint phone now? Compared to what? It has nothing in comparison. So why would he say otherwise? It's the best device Sprint currently will have. Cnet never does full in-depth reviews, that is a terrible site to be listening to for any types of reviews unless it's about TV's.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
give me a non biased reviewer that can honestly point out the good and the bad.. Is this too much to ask? How can you honestly review a phone and you already hate some major things a out it before you touch it? Just makes you look bad
sn: by you I mean the reviewer

edit: they should have had the same person that did they view review that one was actually ok

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21