Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    3,971 Global Posts

Default Sprint now says 1080p video capture was a typo

Here's the official word:

Our apologies, but there was a typo in the spec sheet for EVO 3D. The correct feature should read: capture video up to 720p and playback up to 1080p on both 2D and 3D.
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    714 Global Posts

BULL on that ... That is a MAJOR typo ... How do you keep the mistake and not issue a retraction immediately ... " We introduce to you the new Evo 3D with amoled screen " ... Ohhhh our bad no amoled screen that was a typo.
    Hit the THANKS in appreciation if I or anyone else has helped you in any way .. A Strong Android Community

http://mydamnbrainhurts.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/mydamnbrainhurt

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Nickinson View Post
    Here's the official word:
    Lol they tell us now that we have all pre-ordered. How can the Sensation record in 1080p but the Evo 3D can't. I was hoping for an ota update, but since this is coming from sprint i'm a little worried about that possibility.
    Well I'm not going to use my camera that much anyway. I'd rather buy a camera that was meant to be used for recording/shooting in hd.

Global Posts
    4,491 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I the one year and 12 days that I have had my Evo 4G, I barely used my camera, let alone the video function of it, so to me it really doesn't matter that much, others might be more upset, but, truthfully, those little cameras just can't record as well as a dedicated video camera. Looking at a 720p video compared to a 1080p video recorded on the Sensation, I bet most people would be hard pressed to see the difference.

It was a major typo though, that's for sure!

I wonder if the 4GB onboard storage was a typo as well, in Phils video we see the 1 GB for ram, and the space on the sd card, but no mention of the remaining 3 GB. What's up with that?

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    I the one year and 12 days that I have had my Evo 4G, I barely used my camera, let alone the video function of it, so to me it really doesn't matter that much, others might be more upset, but, truthfully, those little cameras just can't record as well as a dedicated video camera. Looking at a 720p video compared to a 1080p video recorded on the Sensation, I bet most people would be hard pressed to see the difference.

It was a major typo though, that's for sure!

I wonder if the 4GB onboard storage was a typo as well, in Phils video we see the 1 GB for ram, and the space on the sd card, but no mention of the remaining 3 GB. What's up with that?
    Must be a typo

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by docangle View Post
    Must be a typo
    If i remember correctly the FCC filing actually said 4GB so it must be 4g right

I could really care less as I rarely use the cameras and when I do, it will be just fine with me. Is it the 21st yet?

That is a big typo..... but it honestly wouldnt bother me. I'm not shooting anything professional with my cell phone.

Based on how crappy the 480p video is for the Nexus One, I never expected 1080 to even work at a reasonable framerate, and I was only going to use 720 anyway.

This is crap! false advertisement!

Global Posts
    823 Global Posts
    ROM
    Gingerbread Deck, Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by ksumanth View Post
    If i remember correctly the FCC filing actually said 4GB so it must be 4g right
    No. The 4G is a typo. They really meant evdo 1x...

From Archos With Love
    Razr>Juke>POS Blitz(Broken)>Droid> Epic 4g(returned)>Nexus S 4g

ROM
    Stock

Interesting that this same "typo" made it into the press kits, the presentation slides, and the demos on the show floor. Typo. Sure.

Global Posts
    123 Global Posts

Is this something that can be fixed by a OTA release or does it have to do with the hardware in the phone?

ROM
    Zedomax OC 1.6 Ghz

Quote Originally Posted by evo4gMN View Post
    Is this something that can be fixed by a OTA release or does it have to do with the hardware in the phone?
    I think it's a hardware limitation because the E3D doesn't have the same camera(s?) as the sensation.

Sent from my (almost) HTC Evo 3D using Tapatalk
    nkd

Global Posts
    608 Global Posts

I honestly wish they just left the 3d part alone and came out with just 2d phone. I think the camera is actually adding the bulk to the phone, it sticks out because htc probably didn't wanna make it even more thicker, even though they have kept the weight down. I they they could have had similar form factor to sensation if they decided not to go 3d. I think its more of a marketing point, I really dont care about the 3d part of the phone.

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Obviously it wasnt a typo...

They just dont want people giving them sh*t for it. Thing is, they're going to get crap about it because these are the specs they promised...

1080p most likely wasnt ready for prime time so they'll probably release an update allowing it...

You know, how the Incredible got an update for 720p recording.
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by svargas05 View Post
    1080p most likely wasnt ready for prime time so they'll probably release an update allowing it...

You know, how the Incredible got an update for 720p recording.
    Working as a photographer/videographer I can tell you that a 5MP camera is not going to be able to shoot at a 1920x1080 resolution. Even if it did, you wouldnt like the results, at all.

Quote Originally Posted by FocusFreak View Post
    Working as a photographer/videographer I can tell you that a 5MP camera is not going to be able to shoot at a 1920x1080 resolution. Even if it did, you wouldnt like the results, at all.
    As a photographer/videographer, you should know that Megapixels are simply a measure of size, not at all of quality. 3 megapixels, if I remember right, is roughly 2048x1536, and 5 megapixels is 2560x1920 (again, if memory serves), so there would be ABSOLUTELY zero problem with a 5 megapixel camera being able to produce a 1920x1080 resolution. The quality of an image/video has MUCH MUCH MUCH more to do with the quality of the image sensor, lens, etc...
    Thanked by 3:

ROM
    Stock

What are you talking about? A 5mp camera is MORE than capable of handling 1080p.

Global Posts
    714 Global Posts

Ha ha ha ... Your funny ... You contradict yourself in your own statement saying " a 5MP camera us NOT going to be able to shoot at 1920x1080 BUT even if it DOES " So apparently you really have no idea as a working photographer ... In any case here are 4 other 5MP cameras that can't can shoot at 1080p

The Oregon Scientific ATC9K HD Action Camera Can Shoot 1080p Videos and Snap 5MP Photos Underwater

GoPro HD Surf HERO Wide - 1080p HD 5MP Sports Video Camera

Kodak Play Sport, waterproof, 5mp Camera and 1080p HD Video for $150.00

DXG Mini 1080p HD Digital Video Camera with 5MP Still Resolution
    Hit the THANKS in appreciation if I or anyone else has helped you in any way .. A Strong Android Community

Thanked by:
    Djblue 

Yea, It's just bad press. Sprint/HTC ****ed up on that big time. For people who care about 1080p, this is a major disappointment.

Global Posts
    714 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jackietreehorn View Post
    As a photographer/videographer, you should know that Megapixels are simply a measure of size, not at all of quality. 3 megapixels, if I remember right, is roughly 2048x1536, and 5 megapixels is 2560x1920 (again, if memory serves), so there would be ABSOLUTELY zero problem with a 5 megapixel camera being able to produce a 1920x1080 resolution. The quality of an image/video has MUCH MUCH MUCH more to do with the quality of the image sensor, lens, etc...

You are spot on ... Here is a megapixel calculator as a resource:

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    150 Global Posts

Pardon me for asking, as I'm not trying to troll, but why does this even matter? Is a 1080P video taken off a phone going to somehow do something I'm not aware of? Don't most videos taken on phones generally look like crap anyway, so what is the big deal whether it's in 720p or 1080p? It's not like you are going to use it to film Avatar 2 or something.

I really am just curious from those that are upset about this. Not trying to start a fight!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast