Gorilla Glass camera cover?

Robb12

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone knows what the cover for the two cameras is made of. I've noticed reviews dont mention/know what the material is and there is panic for easy scratching (not that I plan on being rough with this phone). I'm usually really careful with electronic devices that cost ~$200..but I'm just curious if anyone (maybe Phil) can report on how durable the cover feels.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Just get a case and the glass will never touch anything....problem solved. And, since I am pretty sure quite a few cases will come with a kickstand built in.....two problems solved.

Simple as that.

Robb12

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't plan on getting a case if it's not gorilla glass, it's definitely not a deal breaker either, the fact it has a cover at all is better than none. And I couldn't care less about the kick stand...Aside from the point, I haven't been able to find many specs regarding the materials of the phone itself.

VickMackey#AC

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
It def protrudes. It will literally rest on the lens. I don't make excuses for my Pre and I def won't make them for the 3D. Sometimes I want a naked phone and want to lay it on my desk, no GG is a must for me.

Robb12

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
It def protrudes. It will literally rest on the lens. I don't make excuses for my Pre and I def won't make them for the 3D. Sometimes I want a naked phone and want to lay it on my desk, no GG is a must for me.

Not sure what you're referring to. I know the camera lenses protrude on the back, but the front seems to be completely flat from what I've seen in videos. I was also under the impression gorilla glass was thinner than regular glass covers.

Robb12

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Sprints website shows off a neat little feature that basically when you have the phone set face down on a flat surface like a table, it is silenced. Meaning if you have it on vibrate or loud ringer, setting it face down automatically silences all incoming messages, calls, etc...I'm sure being optional of course.

So maybe with this, setting it face down wont hurt it because it was obviously designed for this feature.

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
having it be glass isnt really an upside. Maybe gorilla glass, but the glass on my 4G is scratched up a bit just from laying it down at the bottom of the lense.

I would think plastic would be worse, but we wont know for awhile. Simple fix would be a zagg cover of sorts, but curious how that would affect image quality

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I thought the red ring stood out past the glass to protect it. Didn't htc say they learned from the evo design flaw and fixed it with the red ring? I usually never bought cases before, I did for the evo because of the camera and i must say I much prefer holding the phone with the case on than without it, just feels more secure in your hand.

VickMackey#AC

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I thought the red ring stood out past the glass to protect it. Didn't htc say they learned from the evo design flaw and fixed it with the red ring? I usually never bought cases before, I did for the evo because of the camera and i must say I much prefer holding the phone with the case on than without it, just feels more secure in your hand.

All the reviews say that the lense is exposed and unprotected. They all seem to think it would pick up scratches without a case almost immediately(unless its gorilla glass)

MikeBinOK

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Even if the lens cover is Gorilla Glass, it will still pick up fingerprints, plus anything that is on the surface where you set the phone down. Since I often surf the web or read Kindle books during lunch, I'm perturbed at the prospect of spilled Pepsi or ketchup getting on the lens cover!

enthuz

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Sprints website shows off a neat little feature that basically when you have the phone set face down on a flat surface like a table, it is silenced. Meaning if you have it on vibrate or loud ringer, setting it face down automatically silences all incoming messages, calls, etc...I'm sure being optional of course.

So maybe with this, setting it face down wont hurt it because it was obviously designed for this feature.

Link? I have read that site and didn't see it. That is a good feature to have though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670