Are any of you anticipating release day problems and last minute firmware updates?

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Anyone remember the chaos last year when The O. G. Evo 4G was released? There were last minute problems with the Micro SD card, and a firmware update was pushed out that day. In fact, the Radio Shack techs made sure to upgrade before handing me the device. Then, there was the Qik debacle. The Qik 2 way video calling app was launched with the Evo and was pulled within hours (if that) of its release, giving us only the ability to stream live video. The Qik servers took a huge and supposedly unanticipated hit, forcing them to upgrade and get more servers. The video calling app was released again several days, if not a week later. On top of that, Sprint's network took a huge blow in the groin in the afternoon of that day, shutting down all activation capabilities at Sprint Stores, Best Buys and Radio Shacks. Some people even experienced network connectivity issues. I couldn't buy a case in the sprint store that day because Sprint's computer network was down for a few hours.

At the Radio Shack I was at, one of the reps sold 2 Evo's to one person who had shown up before 6am with the rest of us. He did this, while completely forgetting that doing so would create a shortage on the preorders. To his credit, The store had 10 extra Evo's to sell besides their preorders. I was number 2 in line (hadn't preordered) so I got one. with the activation chaos going on in the store at the time, the rep activated 2 Evo's not realizing that the 10 unit limit had been reached while the customer who had preordered was understandably pissed because he could not get his unit. Worse, this mistake was made while the District Manager was present, and he was not happy. It was all a big mess.

So, do you all think we will see the same kind of issues come this Friday, June 24, 2011? I for one, believe that HTC engineers are hard at work at this very moment, working on a software update to push out on the heels of the release date to fix the call quality concerns experienced in many of the reviews, and maybe an adjustment to the way the Evo 3D displays user generated 3D images so they'll be more friendly on the eyes. At least thats what I hope.

Last edited:

VickMackey#AC

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Anyone remember the chaos last year when The O. G. Evo 4G was released? There were last minute problems with the Micro SD card, and a firmware update was pushed out that day. In fact, the Radio Shack techs made sure to upgrade before handing me the device. Then, there was the Qik debacle. The Qik 2 way video calling app was launched with the Evo 3D and was pulled within hours (if that) of its release, giving us only the ability to stream live video. The Qik servers took a huge and supposedly unanticipated hit, forcing them to upgrade and get more servers. The video calling app was released again several days, if not a week later. On top of that, Sprint's network took a huge blow in the groin in the afternoon of that day, shutting down all activation capabilities at Sprint Stores, Best Buys and Radio Shacks. Some people even experienced network connectivity issues. I couldn't buy a case in the sprint store that day because Sprint's computer network was down for a few hours.

At the Radio Shack I was at, one of the reps sold 2 Evo's to one person who had shown up before 6am with the rest of us. He did this, while completely forgetting that doing so would create a shortage on the preorders. To his credit, The store had 10 extra Evo's to sell besides their preorders. I was number 2 in line (hadn't preordered) so I got one. with the activation chaos going on in the store at the time, the rep activated 2 Evo's not realizing that the 10 unit limit had been reached while the customer who had preordered was understandably pissed because he could not get his unit. Worse, this mistake was made while the District Manager was present, and he was not happy. It was all a big mess.

So, do you all think we will see the same kind of issues come this Friday, June 24, 2011? I for one, believe that HTC engineers are hard at work at this very moment, working on a software update to push out on the heels of the release date to fix the call quality concerns experienced in many of the reviews, and maybe an adjustment to the way the Evo 3D displays user generated 3D images so they'll be more friendly on the eyes. At least thats what I hope.

Hope you are right, I'll take any updates.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Updates are fun!

But....what you described as a problem, I experienced as "I am part of something special"....was kinda cool to see Sprints activation network going down. Nothing worse than lining up or getting excited about a hot new product just to hear the crickets chirping on release day, kinda what happened with the Verizon iPhone. There were problems, yes....but I think those were "good" problems to have.

Will history repeat itself on Friday? We'll see....

Reactions: sergi0wned

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Funny how we all treat firmware updates like Christmas presents. Always looking early to see if Santa left one under the tree. Can't wait to open them, but sometimes disappointed by what's in the box. ;)

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Well, I think christmas is coming 3 times for us in the next year.

1. June 24 when we get the Evo 3d
2. Actual Christmas
3. When ICS is released

:)

FocusFreak

Banned
May 8, 2011
Visit site
You forgot the screens falling off, the grounding issues where you couldnt use the phone at all if it was laying down, wifi issues and the 4G didnt work very well. Of course there will be bugs and issues with the 3D, its a Sprint phone. It took Sprint 3 months to get the Evo 4G running right. After the Nexus S 4G debacle and the last few Sprint releases being plagued with issues, there is no way I get a phone from them again anywhere near the launch. I switched over to TMobile to get the Sensation and the only issue that has is one that can be fixed easily in settings. Pretty sad when TMobile can launch a major phone with no issues and Sprint still cant figure out how to.

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
You forgot the screens falling off, the grounding issues where you couldnt use the phone at all if it was laying down, wifi issues and the 4G didnt work very well. Of course there will be bugs and issues with the 3D, its a Sprint phone. It took Sprint 3 months to get the Evo 4G running right. After the Nexus S 4G debacle and the last few Sprint releases being plagued with issues, there is no way I get a phone from them again anywhere near the launch. I switched over to TMobile to get the Sensation and the only issue that has is one that can be fixed easily in settings. Pretty sad when TMobile can launch a major phone with no issues and Sprint still cant figure out how to.

so, wait: The G2X, G2, MyTouch 4G and the Vibrant had no issues when they were released? Somebody must have lied to me! Those bastards!!!

FocusFreak

Banned
May 8, 2011
Visit site
so, wait: The G2X, G2, MyTouch 4G and the Vibrant had no issues when they were released? Somebody must have lied to me! Those bastards!!!

The G2x and the Sensation are the last two major Android releases on TMobile and compared to the last 2 major Android Sprint releases, its night and day. Hell, most people cant even use the NS4G because they have no signal. Mine would go into roaming or have no signal in the middle of LA with Sprint towers all around. Meanwhile, TMobiles version works just fine. So ummm yea, Sprint has major issues and so do their phones. Having said that, I still havent canceled my account. I am still willing to give them yet another chance and hope one of these new phones actually works right.

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
The G2x and the Sensation are the last two major Android releases on TMobile and compared to the last 2 major Android Sprint releases, its night and day. Hell, most people cant even use the NS4G because they have no signal. Mine would go into roaming or have no signal in the middle of LA with Sprint towers all around. Meanwhile, TMobiles version works just fine. So ummm yea, Sprint has major issues and so do their phones. Having said that, I still havent canceled my account. I am still willing to give them yet another chance and hope one of these new phones actually works right.

You're completely missing the point, which is that every carrier (T-Mobile included, as recently as its G2X release) have released smart phones that have had some type of problem. This is not a problem that only Sprint suffers. AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile have all been at fault this year with major releases. You have been let down by Sprint. You're not alone, I have been too. But for every disappointed Sprint customer, I will show you a disappointed customer from each of the other networks.

taynxtlvl

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
And at least at Sprint you will pay less per month for your momentary disappointment. And that makes it all the better. Us sprinters will be the ones smiling when that monthly bill appears in our inboxes.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae