Initial Thoughts on Evo 3D - Post Them Here!

InfiniteXavier

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Got my 3D yesterday and I am so impressed.

Like a lot of the comments i read, i didn't quite know what to expect. I figured that the dual core and gig ram would make my life easier, but had no idea how much faster it would actually be.

I use my evo as a lot of people use their iPADs. I do a ton of work, emails, and reading on it. I found myself, towards the end of my first year with my 4G, unable to multi-task like i wanted.

The 3D has none of those problems and for those that can't notice a difference, maybe you should not get such a sophisticated phone.

The thing i was most surprised about was the 3D Pictures and Images. I really didn't think i would ever use it but after playing with it and taking a few pictures the novelty is quite high. Maybe in a month it will have worn off, but for now its a plus that i wasn't expecting.

The one thing that i would love some help with is customizing the quick start/ lock screen. I dont use the standard messaging software and would love to change it to hancent. Other than that, this phone might be perfect for 2011 Tech.

X

Director21

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Re: After EVO 3D released, what do you think?

I love it its a true upgrade to my og EVO, everything is better the battery life, screen and Sense 3.0. Also I don't know if people are not using it or have not been accepted but Music Beta is the greatest. It syncs seamlessly with my itunes and I have my music with me wherever I go.

GadgetMonger

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
This phone is a beast. Smoking fast and it absorbed all my apps with over 950mb of free space to spare. Can't wait to see what kind of enhanced performance root gets us. Didn't think I'd use the 3d features to much, but they work better than I figured they would and are a pretty sweet conversation piece... First post by the way :D Spend most of my time at XDA but there seems to be more 3D conversation going on here so.... Anyway, hello all. :)

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, body Glove is purple, not gonna work for me and best buy's werent great either I was looking for this one any ideas?

They are back ordered everywhere. If I were you I would wait for casemate case. I called them a few days ago and they will be putting out one with kickstand any day now. It looks like the one you posted with one important feature, it is designed to protect camera lens from scratchs from putting down.

EVO - LUTION 3D

TheChobbins

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
They are back ordered everywhere. If I were you I would wait for casemate case. I called them a few days ago and they will be putting out one with kickstand any day now. It looks like the one you posted with one important feature, it is designed to protect camera lens from scratchs from putting down.

EVO - LUTION 3D
Cool, thanks for the info zmann. As for the phone I love it but one problem I saw is on the quick settings tab, touch total memory and the Task Manager opens.....I killed a few apps and then my screen was displaying streaks across the screen like the display wasnt working correctly. I performed a reboot and that didnt change the effect. I then removed/reinstalled the widgets that had the effects running through them and that took away the screen malfunction. Others may want to see if this happens on their devices. Otherwise im liking this phone, much quicker but everything is just a smidge smaller than on the EVO 4g

cranialsurge

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
The evo 3d is awesome, its more narrow and longer than the evo, feels great in the hand, has a nice soft matte finish behind that makes it snug on grip and stylish to say the least, the hardware speaks for itself, it SCREAMS thats how fast it is, sense 3d looks gorgeous on it and the battery should probably improve over time. The '3D' aspect to some is a gimmick while to others is fun, either ways its definitely cool but not a 'must have' or anything. It doesn't have the kickstand like the evo had that i miss and its charging port is on the side which i'm not a fan of.

I think the evo's 2d cam is better than this one's. They have compensated quality for 3d support slightly, but I am yet to confirm that theory conclusively.

b.Risky

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Had the EVO pre-ordered and rooted a few days later. Ran like butter on Gingerbread. Loved the phone.

Being a nerd...I went out and got the 3D a day after in came out and I am more impressed with this phone than I was with the original.

The 3D hasnt blown me away yet...maybe after more content is added.

But HTC has made one hell of a phone. Making it slimmer and taller was perfect. Screen is fantastic. I am a guy who loves a pure adroid experience but this generation of Sense is useful.

Give it a 9/10

First post.

Qoheleth

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
On the whole, I'm glad I upgraded.

I'm one of those who switched from an Evo 4G to an Evo 3D. After one issue that turned out to be a bad microSD card (not the one that came with the Evo), I've been very happy.
Performance-wise, even with the resource-intensive Sense 3.0 running, I find the phone is always responsive; noticeably faster than the 4G, which I was already happy with.
It seems as though Google and HTC have added in multiple ways of getting to important features. For instance, you can get to the Settings in about five different ways.
It's been said before, but I _really_ like the new lock-screen.
The slight change in aspect ratio threw me for a short time. It seems as though I'm seeing more data on the screen in the portrait mode though. The one drawback is that I have to think about pressing the "Q" key. I've pressed the "W" a few times by mistake and I'm sure it's the slimmer screen that's at fault. I'm already getting used to it.
I still haven't really played with the 3D part yet. I'll let you all know.

ladyc0524

Trusted Member
Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I just got home with my EVO 3D, after spending two hours in the Sprint Store..lol! I absolutely love this phone. I am porting my number over from Verizon so right now the phone is off. The little time I played with it in the store, I loved everything about it. The speed, Sense 3.0, the 3D homescreen effect, etc...I'm happy to be back with Android!:D

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm still deciding about my ev3d --

My history: launch day pre, launch day evo, and now launch day evo 3d, I love new gadgets!

I love the speed of the phone, I love Sense, so far no temptation to go to launcher pro or any other, love the look, feel -- really like the feel. But:

1. It's warm. My pre was very warm, I was so happy when the evo didn't heat up at all, but now the 3d is getting awfully warm sometimes.

2. The font size -- I'm over 50 and the size of the display is way too small for my aging eyes

3. I live in a rural area, near a 'biggish' town -- evo never gave me a bit of trouble with the signal, but this phone is not getting a strong signal at all. Even at work today I couldn't even show off my 3d because none of the YouTube videos would play -- or the green hornet. One second of movie, three seconds of wait, etc. Very frustrating.

I have a month to decide I know, but I really want the 3d to work out.

R2D2 631

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I just had a full day with my E3D. Also comming from an evo that I truly luv...I did notice there was alot of heat when I had the E3D on the charger while playing with it for a few hours...and I really don't like the smaller icons and fonts..I was so use to the wider screen and I think its a drastic change from reading to typing...and also the signal seem a lil bit weaker then my old evo...but I'm gonna just chill and holdout and hopefully adjust to new EVOlution

Last edited:

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
The more i play with this phone, the more i love it. I have been messing around with the power and memory management and love the new features.

Sent from my 3D EVOlution

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Haters are gonna hate, this phone is wicked
Hater? Because I have a different opinion about this phone. WOW!! Incredible this forum hasn't gotten any better. Anyone who doesn't agree with the masses is either a hater or doesn't know what they're talking about.

Wow, i know everyone is subjected to their opinion, but lets be for real the 3d is faster than the og evo by far. My old evo (i gave it to my niece) is sitting right next to me and i know for sure that speed wise, the 3d runs circle around the 4g. Perfect example, you know when your 4g install an app, it freezed for like a second while it finish installing it, there is no hiccup at all with the 3d, not one. I will also go out to say its even faster to install an app. A cm7 custom rom dont help that. My 4g was running kings sense 2.1-3.0 gingerbread rom from xda site.
Also, i was just going to mention the 3d aspect of it. I finally got to play with that part of it this weekend. Im talking about the camera, it kicks butt for real. Its very cool how in depth the pics are. even my wife loves the detail of the 3d pics. Will I take all pics in 3d from now on? No, but for shots i know thats not important, or basically as a cool camera with a cool feature, its available.

As far as your side by side test; I've done the same and so far, my EVO 4G has been fast- if not faster than the new & improved 3D. Even speedtest have been incredibly faster.

dtblair24

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I am coming from the OG EVO and the sexy Nexus S. After a weekend as an EVO3D owner, I am in love.

Hardware is solid for the most part. I am impressed with the screen even though it is not an amoled. It took a little getting used to since it is more narrow, but I will get over it. Only complaints I might have for the hardware are the camera & 2D/3D buttons. They are pretty loose and rattle, but I can live with it.

The phone is fast. Very fast. Even with this bloated Sense 3.0 it still kicks ass and takes names. Sense 3.0 is also pleasing. I will have no problem waiting for custom ROMs because I really have no complaints with the new Sense. Like some of you have noted, the phone does get warm when you throw a ton at it, but maybe this is to be expected. My battery life also seems to be better than the old EVO.

I also enjoy the 3D. Doesn't really seem all that gimmicky. Like most of us, I did not buy it because I saw "3D'. but it is a nice extra to have for the same price as other similar phones. It is interesting to see the depth in 3D pictures, and the video is also enjoyable, though it might be for a short period of time because of headaches.
If anything, it's something cool to show off to people. Everyone who I have showed this thing off to seems to be impressed with the 3D photos.

ptgoddard#AC

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
My battery charge will reach about 98-99% before it shuts itself off. Don't know why it does that. I got a new battery and it does the same thing. My evo 4g always charged 100%. Are there anyone else having the same thing happening?

slab0meat

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Got the phone on Friday and am very impressed so far...

Keep in mind, I'm coming from a BB Curve 8900. I've never used a touchscreen or Android outside of a minute or two on a friend's phone. I have a ton of learning to do..

iEd

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I just received my EVO 3D yesterday and so far I'm very pleased. I have a AT&T Iphone 3GS from two years ago and switched to Blackberry when I went to Sprint.

The E3D is a really great device. The Green Hornet 3D movie looks great in my opinion. It really looks 3D. As far as pics taken in 3D they are pretty good not mind boggling. 27 years ago my uncle had a 3D film camera that took incredible 3D pics. The 2D pics are excellent haven't shot a 2D or 3D vid yet so don't have any impressions on that yet.

This is my first HTC or Android device. I really like the HTC Sense UI. I really can't compare the Gingerbread OS to anything other that IOS 4 which I still use in my deactivated Iphone 3GS. Being that IOS doesn't run on top of anything I don't know if what I experiencing on the EVO 3D is Gingerbread or HTC Sense.

I like the size of the EVO 3D also compared to the original. A friends has the EVO 4G and I never really liked the width of it. The 3D has a nice slim look and feel.

The phone is very fast in my opinion when using the apps. I can't compare the speed to anything else. I will have to do a side by side with my friends EVO4G

Call quality seems to be fine I had no problems there. I was worried based on some of the reviews I have read about call quality. Paired to a Jawbone Prime headset things sounded good. It took a little while to pair with the Jawbone. If you have any trouble pairing a headset with the 3D just keep at it for a bit.

I have also read in reviews that the power button is too soft. It is compared to say the IPhone but not a problem for me not a deal breaker at all.

Battery Life don't know yet just got finished charging overnight so I haven't put it through it's paces yet when not on the charger. Based on running the Green Hornet movie for a few mins when I got the phone while not on the charger does tell me that watching 3D is a batt killer but that's to be expected. I know there is a 1850 MAH battery coming soon that's the same size as the original batt which will give you a little more juice and I'm sure a bigger one is on the way.

I would highly recommend the 3D I think it's a nice update to the original just based on the slimmer size. Is it a "I gotta get it phone" It is if your are coming from a antiquated Blackberry Tour like me.If you have a EVO 4G I really can't compare the two to say if you should run out and get it. Again the slimness does it for me. when I first saw my friends EVO 4G I just wasn't feeling the width of it and that was one reason I never went for the EVO 4G. I'll post more thoughts as time goes on.

iEd

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Got the phone on Friday and am very impressed so far...

Keep in mind, I'm coming from a BB Curve 8900. I've never used a touchscreen or Android outside of a minute or two on a friend's phone. I have a ton of learning to do..

Welcome to the promised land I'm coming from a BB Tour 9630

mjcecil

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I'm in Gainesville. I go to UF. You'd think they'd have 4g around one of the most densely populated universities in the country, I guess not ._.

I would be surprised if you ever got WiMAX. It's not been widely talked about, but it appears that Sprint has seen the writing on the walll with respect to LTE vs. WiMAX, and are going to switch directions to LTE in the relatively near term. ( Sprint to deploy $20 Billion LTE Network with LightSquared )

Plus, it's widely known that Clearwire, as the 4G provider/partner for Sprint is in some serious trouble financially and infrastructurally. I don't expect them to survive in their current form. And that sort of instability trouble is not what Sprint needs to compete in the mobile data space.

It is frustrating knowing that I want to stick with Sprint (at a minimum because the price/performance of their data plans is unbeatable), but at the same time knowing I will be buying another device this week with built-in obsolescence (albeit a very, very slick device), coupled with the idea that I will have to wait even longer for Sprint to cover my most preferred areas with premium data service, thanks to a technological misstep that is pretty much a direct analogue to the choice of HD-DVD.

Mark

Reactions: mlctulsa

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21