Initial Thoughts on Evo 3D - Post Them Here!
01-06-2012 10:36 AM
- 06-24-2011 12:05 PM
- 06-24-2011 12:06 PM
- 06-24-2011 12:06 PM
- Well, I was having a convo with this guy, talk to him many times before, 1, my bs radar is second to none, 2, this guy told me with my other evo that he would not put one on so he had no agenda here, 3,i know because of how the whole convo went that he was not lying. I believe the Sprint guy said this to them, that being said, who knows if sprint guy was lying, i doubt it. I put one on, screen looks beautiful, no affect on the 3d what so ever. Did not say 3D would totally be unusable like you translated it into,,,, he said that spot would be affected.
EVO - LUTION 3D
nonetheless a screen protector isnt a bad thing as long as the 3D isnt affected06-24-2011 12:08 PM
- 06-24-2011 12:45 PM
- 06-24-2011 12:55 PM
- 06-24-2011 12:58 PM
- My initial thoughts? Wow, wow, and WOW!!! I really wish I would have taken the day off to play with it but in the few minutes I get here and there I am extremely impressed, and I can only imagine that will increase as I get all my apps reinstalled and screens set up the way I like. I love the 3D, doesn't mess with me at all. The camera button is great, no problems with the switch, or power and volume buttons. I picked up the CaseMate 2-piece case and I am very happy with it as well.06-24-2011 01:01 PM
- I received mine yesterday and have had a full 24hrs to play with it. I took immediate notice that with my big hands my middle finger would often times wrap around the phone and could get in the way of that middle camera thingie and leave smudges, I doubt that that is the camera used to take still pics with but still worth mentioning..
Battery seems pretty decent but ive also been sitting on a not so decent 4G signal trying over & over to download the rest of that Spiderman 3D demo.
The biggest thing I noticed of this phone coming from the Evo 4G is the SPEED! Its incredibly fast! just try deleting a long threaded sms conversation, its almost instantly deleted instead of the lag the Evo 4G has!06-24-2011 01:14 PM
- Picked mine up a while ago and am setting everything up right now. Installed tons of apps directly from my desktop using the market website and wifi. It just sucked them right up and installed them all in no time.
So far loving this phone!
The first phone call that came in did sound better than on my Evo 4G, nice and clear, and almost too loud! I turned down the volume because I could hear a bit of speaker distortion because it was so loud.
For any of you that purchased live wallpapers from the market, they do work, they just don't move when you go from homescreen to homescreen which is a bit of a bummer.06-24-2011 01:57 PM
- I received the Evo 3d on Wednesday and have used it for about 7hrs total since then. I had (and still use) the Evo 4g prior to that. I spent a good amount of time just comparing the 2 focusing on the things I use my phone for and these are my thoughts:
I love the slab/slate form factor of the Evo 4g but I love how the Evo 3d feels in my hand. I like the textured back and it feels a bit lighter. It is not as wide as the Evo 4g which is nice, but I have bog hands so doesn't really matter.
Contrary to some reviews, I like how responsive the power button is. Overall the Evo 3d body is nice looking.
The ability to go directly into apps from the lockscreen is a major plus as far as usability goes for me. I have Mail, Maps, Internet and Messages as my for lockscreen apps. These are the apps I use the most and the ability to open from the lockscreen is awesome. This is my favourite feature of the phone.
The higher resolution has made the swype keyboard smaller (in portrait mode at least) than its Evo 4g counterpart. Thankfully it is swype so it doesn't matter too much, but for the words I had to type, I was definitely making more mistakes than normal.
There were a number of improvements to the Mail app from the Evo 4g
1. Portrait Body Preview: which adds up to 5 lines of the body of the email to the list of emails in portrait mode. I have mine set to 2. Nice feature
2. Compose icon is in Email view, not hidden in menu
3. Unified Mailbox: As with the EVO 4g, I can switch from different email accounts set up in the Mail app, however I can now view all accounts in one list, with each account color coded. I like having the option, but I prefer to have my exchange and hotmail separate, and I use the gmail app for my gmail.
4. Email list has a 'group action' column.
5. Specify other folders apart from Inbox to sync: I like this because my boss's emails go to a specific folder and I can now schedule sync that folder.
The calendar is pretty much the same as the Evo 4g. One difference I noticed in the 'Agenda' widget is, on the Evo 3d, it defaults to showing you your agenda starting today.
On the Evo 4g, it shows your agenda starting today AND at the current time. So if I had a meeting at 12 noon, and it is 2pm, this meeting will show up on my Evo 3d agenda widget even though it is in the past, but not on my Evo 4g.
That's a step back IMO.
The people widget can now be reorganized however you want. This is great because my boyfriend's name starts with an X and was always at the bottom on the Evo 4g which sorted only alphabetically.
You can block a contact from calling you. Nice feature, not sure I'll use it.
3d camera: the 3d photos that came with it are gorgeous but I have a point and shoot that I love and the Evo is really only for emergency photos and I don't need 3d for that. I also don't have a 3d tv or any other medium to view the photos except the phone. Do not need.
360 home screens: Nice feature but unimportant to me
It also takes forever to charge.
I haven't activated it as I just got it to test it out and see if I really want to keep it. So I can't comment on voice signal, but I live in Austin TX and I have had ZERO problems with signal with Sprint on several phones I have had with them so I am not bothered about that.
It's a very nice phone and it impressed me. However I will probably return it. I bought it full price so I am still eligible for my upgrade. The Samsung Within will probably be the phone I use that on.06-24-2011 02:21 PM
- Coming from an EVO 4G, this is a nice upgrade. I like some of the changes to the design...I personally hated the kickstand, and it is definitely easier to hold in your hand. I also find the feel and grip to be just right, as if this is the design the EVO was meant to have.
WRT to deleting bloat, it's not clear you're actually deleting anything. It looks like they are just links or placeholders to the apps?
I can't find a way to hold the phone and keep my fingers from smudging the camera lenses.
The display seems more recessed from the bezel than it was for the evo. Wish the whole display were flush.
Few things I do like...
The camera button rocks.
Friendstream works much better than it did on the EVO.
Everything is zippy, which was becoming increasingly annoying on the EVO.
Battery is much much better.
Reviewers weren't kidding about sense becoming a big bloated pig in and of itself. I'm not sure I find the benefits of Sense to outweigh all the widgets and apps I will never use.
All in all, this reminds me of my second Blackberry...it fixed a few things and did others better, but unless you never had a Blackberry before, it didn't melt your mind.06-24-2011 03:33 PM
- I can honestly say this phone was worth the pre-order..... im excited to finally have my own andaroid from as opposed to playing with my friends phone all the time... but all in all im in love with the phone... one dislike was the new style... but i can honestly say that its growing on me... phone quality is great as well as my phones performance... EVO 3D FTW!!! lol and for those of you that dont like the evo 3d.. they are making a evo 3d without the 3d, and the phone will hit korea 1st... it MIGHT make its way to the states... just keep your fingers crossed and the phone also sports an 8mp camera... My fist forum post ever and my 1st android phone! wooot! ( btw i am not a rookie, i even write roms )06-24-2011 03:40 PM
- Picked up my EVO 3D this morning at RadioShack.
+ No lag when switching between radios - the HTC makes up its mind quickly. My Nexus S would hang trying to decide whether to use 4G, 3G, or Wi-Fi, and often went to roaming for no reason.
+ Lightening fast phone, everything is buttery smooth.
+ Superfast setup, up and working in no time.
+ Signal comparable to my old EVO 4G, and much, much better than the Nexus S
+ GPS locks quickly, less than 30 seconds, maybe less that 15 seconds in most cases. Nexus S took forever and more than once I got lost because the phone wouldn't lock.
+ qHD Screen is fantastic for web and e-mails (haven't tried media/games)
+ 3D pictures are neat
+ Battery life seems to be very good, the phone has been on since 845am and has barely lost any battery despite casual use. It was only half charged out of the box so I was worried about this.
+ Call quality seems better than the Nexus S and on par with the EVO 4G.
+ Radioshack gave me 158 dollars for my EVO 4G because I brought it in last night for trade, it dropped to 100 dollars this morning, just made the cutoff.
+ Spring gave me a substantial credit on my next bill because I was so dissatisfied with the Nexus S. Sprint treats their premier customers very well.
+ 3G speeds started out slow but seems to have magically fixed itself. When I was first downloading apps OTA I had 3 bars of 3G and it seemed painfully slow. I sat in Dunkin Donuts not moving an inch and the problem corrected itself within the time it takes to eat a breakfast sandwich. Seems just as speedy as my old EVO now, I just hope it stays that way.
+ The cons of this phone are all things I knew going in, 5MP camera, HTC Sense overload (most of it is nice but coming from a pure 2.3.4 Nexus S it is very jarring), poor external speaker quality - they are all trade-offs that I accept.
+ Can't uninstall Spiderman, of all the things to make mandatory...
Perhaps my feelings are overly positive because the Nexus S turned out to be such a dud (maybe I got a bad unit, some people seem to love it and have fewer problems than I had).
I almost waited for the Photon so I could compare it side by side with the EVO 3D but having used the phone all morning I am happy with my decision.
Share06-24-2011 03:51 PMLike 2
- HTC Android Phones
- More HTC Phones
- HTC EVO Series
- HTC EVO 3D
Initial Thoughts on Evo 3D - Post Them Here!
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD