HTC EVO 3D: Issues and Problems...let's talk about them here!

damnitryon

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if anyone else is like me and cannot stand the texture used on roughly 3/4 the back of the device. However, I solved this fairly easily with a small strip of matte black vinyl cut and placed on the back of the case near the edge. For whatever reason the texture on the back of the thing gives me chills (similar to touching one of those 3D "Motion Cards", drives me nuts.), but now it's fine with the vinyl covering it without looking out of place.

whaddupdoe

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
The only issues that I found so far is that my Swype keyboard doesnt show any traces anymore( and trace is turned on).
And also.
I dont know if any of you guys use the icam app but it will only work on wi-fi, wont work on 3G/4G, so I cant see my dogs when Im away from home. :(

jasonaward

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
former Palm guy here, hope I don't break any rules for this comunity, I just took a tape measure and basic math to my 3D (not the precision tools I have at work)

I get 3.75 X 2.125 which equals 4.22 square inches of real estate

That may be the screen size in square inches, but that's not how you measure a screen. It's the diagonal distance. Here's an example:

ScreenMath.com :: HDTV Plasma and LCD Screen Size Guide

grepper

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
The screen is not smaller. It's a different aspect ratio.

sent from my OG EVO

Actually, the further from square the aspect ratio is, the fewer square inches/diagonal inches you have. I thought the 4g was a bit big though, so I'm looking forward to it being about the same or smaller.

dasbigl

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
A correction.

Geometry fail. The area of a rectangle is the same no matter what Length and Width are if the Diagonal(H) is the same. A^2+ B^2 = C^2

I usually don't care, but you are absolutely incorrect. The area of a rectangle is only dependent on height and width. In your equation, the famous Pythagorean Theorem, you are correct in that the C^2 is the diagonal and is equal to A^2 + B^2. However, this is merely related to area and does not equal area.

Thought experiment. Make A = B. You have a square. If A = 1, then C = 1.41 (roughly). Now imagine a rectangle where C = 1.41 but A = .1. B would equal about 1.4. These 2 "rectangles" have the same diagonal, but one of them is about 1/7 the area.

I wouldn't have posted if you had just been nice. Now I'm late for work.

Edit: A classic problem in Pre-Calculus (or Calc 1) is to use limits to determine which A/B ratio equals the greatest area given a particular C. The ratio is 1, I believe. A square. But it's been a while.

Edit 2: Hahaha, that became less a thought experiment and more an actual math problem. Sorrry!

Last edited:

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I usually don't do care, but you are absolutely incorrect. The area of a rectangle is only dependent on height and width. In your equation, the famous Pythagorean Theorem, you are correct in that the C^2 is the diagonal and is equal to A^2 + B^2. However, this is merely related to area and does not equal area.

Thought experiment. Make A = B. You have a square. If A = 1, then C = 1.41 (roughly). Now imagine a rectangle where C = 1.41 but A = .1. B would equal about 1.4. These 2 "rectangles" have the same diagonal, but one of them is about 1/7 the area.

My brain just exploded,,, its to early for this, lol.

EVO - LUTION 3D

txdiceman

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Long time Sprint user who has been following the forums for a few months in anticipation of the new Evo 3D. Believe it or not, I was using an old Palm Treo on a Sero plan. Well, I received it yesterday evening via the Premier early release and love how smooth the interface is. WiFi is super fast. It is definitely a great experience utilizing the multimedia aspect of this phone. Spiderman was pretty cool, but haven't really played with 3D yet.

My first call the person on the other end said I sounded a tad hollow. Made a few other calls with no problem besides sounding hollow. I am in San Antonio and 95% of time have pretty good reception. Now in most areas when making calls, the reception goes in and out with the display on the phone corresponding by going dead then back on. Tech support had me perform a hard reset, update my profile with still no fix. They suggested to take to a Sprint repair center and I told them a new phone shouldn't be performing like this. I am pretty bummed as the other aspects of this phone are killer. Does this sound like a defective phone? Any ideas besides replacing with a new one?? Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

theotherlinh

Apr 21, 2011
theotherlinh.com
There is 1 indisputable fact; the text is significantly smaller when viewing everything. I believe it is not a result of the screen size nor aspect ratio. I think it is screen resolution just like when you change your computer monitor to a higher resolution everything gets smaller.

This is highly disappointing to me. It's where apple got it very right... they doubled the resolution in each direction and re-scaled everything properly. I was hoping I wouldn't have to squint to read... argh.

Reactions: anon(32502)

discdoc

May 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm having a problem with Exchange. In People, the contacts can't be viewed Last Name, First Name, no matter how I try to configure the View settings. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

LexInHouston

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Is anyone having problems with the Watch update? Every time I go to the Green Hornet it tells me there is an update, then it sends me to the HTC Software update screen but when I check, it says I'm all up to date. Any suggestions?

dchanson

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone having problems with the Watch update? Every time I go to the Green Hornet it tells me there is an update, then it sends me to the HTC Software update screen but when I check, it says I'm all up to date. Any suggestions?

Yeah a bunch of people are having this problem, there's a thread here: http://forum.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=96539

WATCH Update Pushed

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Reactions: LexInHouston

powerbyte#AC

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
I usually don't care, but you are absolutely incorrect. The area of a rectangle is only dependent on height and width. In your equation, the famous Pythagorean Theorem, you are correct in that the C^2 is the diagonal and is equal to A^2 + B^2. However, this is merely related to area and does not equal area.

Edit: A classic problem in Pre-Calculus (or Calc 1) is to use limits to determine which A/B ratio equals the greatest area given a particular C. The ratio is 1, I believe. A square. But it's been a while.

Edit 2: Hahaha, that became less a thought experiment and more an actual math problem. Sorrry![/QUOTE

My Response:

74535_700b.jpg

or

"The sum of the square roots of any two sides of an isosceles triangle is equal to the square root of the remaining side."

scarecrow.jpg

I kid...I kid...

anon(32502)

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm not questioning the legitimacy of anyone's claims so far, however, I thought I should bring up an important point so that people aren't freaking out and canceling their orders...
This is a high profile launch. It's attracting all kinds of attention. Positive and negative.. As some of you have probably noticed, this is one of the most "trolled" phones on the AC forums right now. In general, there are two types of trolls posting here: There's the "self-amused trolls", and there's the most vicious, determined type- the "bitter-trolls:eek: The self-amused are harmless enough,especially when ignored(they know how to get some, uhh..passionate reactions from other members:-\) The bitter ones..they are the ones to watch for on a thread like this. Some are Nexus S 4G owners, upset that the spotlight on their device was very short-lived(the whole signal thing just fuels the fire-I personally don't have the signal issues). Some are original Evo owners with a complex; because it had monster specs at release, they thought that they would have the most powerful hardware for the next decade, and that no phone would ever one-up theirs. Some of them truly do believe that they are entitled to compatibility with every app, OS update, accessory,etc..because their phone "had 4G first"(that one still cracks me up every time:D) Some just feel screwed by HTC and want other people to hate them too. I don't want to offend anyone on this thread, because we are all excited for the same thing. The original Evo is a GREAT phone. The Nexus S 4G is a GREAT phone(I own one myself). Most of us like android devices all around, and we're excited about every cool one that releases. Most can be happy for people that get a cool new device. But- there are people on here that take this stuff way too seriously,and they spend their whole day bashing other's devices, opinions,and everything else, instead of enjoying theirs. Those people will be hitting this thread with various claims that their "Evo 3D won't turn on","the screen popped off", "the wi-fi and 4G radio are weak, or don't work","it just burst into flames when I turned it on!",and every other claim you can think of. It's the easiest,sneakiest way to influence other people's perception of a device..and they know it. Unless you truly know someone's credible, take a lot of statements on this thread(and similar ones) with a grain of salt. Just because a member has alot of posts doesn't mean anything. This is especially for those coming from Pre,BB,etc..that may not know these forums,and the things people tend to do. You're making the right choice. The Android family is a close(and exciting!)one.
Everybody just have fun enjoy your device! My Evo 3D will be at my door within the next three hours, and I for one, am excited:) And I just finished writing my first novel!!...and you just finished reading it;) sorry?:-!

And then there is the ultimate fanboy troll who would advise people not to voice their complaints because it may deter others from buying.

Sorry, homey don't play that. Yeah its great, yeah it has issues, and most definitely, if considering the 3D you should be aware of them, and if you experience issues yourself you should report them.

Carry on.

dolfndav

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
ok, I haven't seen anyone with this issue. Within the lock screen I can't open an application by moving the circle over it. They all disappear once I "capture" the circle and opens to the home screen as if I had just performed a normal unlock motion. I even asked a sales rep at a Sprint store (was there to get my son transferred over to my previous EVO 4G), and they were not able to assist. Everything else is working essentially as others have mentioned. I've performed both the HTC and the Watch updates, and reset a few times as well as performing a battery removal reset but to no avail. I've taken the time to get a ton of info loaded so would rather not revert back to factor default, but am curious if I'm the only person seeing this particular issue. A great phone, but is a minor annoyance...