Facebook Contacts Sync

pjrake

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Trying to link the contacts on the new 3D and it's giving me an option for both Facebook and Facebook for HTC Sense. Which one should I use, or should I link both? What's the difference?

PJ

Auzo

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Trying to link the contacts on the new 3D and it's giving me an option for both Facebook and Facebook for HTC Sense. Which one should I use, or should I link both? What's the difference?

PJ

As far as I can tell, Facebook for HTC Sense lets you sync contacts, calendar, and live feeds. Facebook only syncs contacts. So I think having them both sync to contacts is redundant and either one is good enough. I like the facebook app so that why I installed it where facebook for HTC Sense is more for integration with the OS.

rahrah12

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Imported Contacts Not Sync with Facebook

None of my contacts that I had imported from my Pre minus will sync with facebook contacts. I have tried to manually do it and nothing happens. I have gone through the auto sync and still nothing.

All I want to do is have the facebook accounts sync with the regular contacts/phone numbers so that their pics automatically pop up with the contact.

At the moment I have two contacts listed for everyone in my phone. One with facebook and everything else sync'd and the other looks to be the numbers I had transferred over.

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

dtice03

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: Imported Contacts Not Sync with Facebook

None of my contacts that I had imported from my Pre minus will sync with facebook contacts. I have tried to manually do it and nothing happens. I have gone through the auto sync and still nothing.

All I want to do is have the facebook accounts sync with the regular contacts/phone numbers so that their pics automatically pop up with the contact.

At the moment I have two contacts listed for everyone in my phone. One with facebook and everything else sync'd and the other looks to be the numbers I had transferred over.

Yeah I'm going through the same thing right now. In the "People" app hit the menu button and then "View." From here you can tell the app which "contact lists" you want the phone to show. Because I backed up all my contacts to google before I made the switch, I'm just gonna use my google contacts.

Pookela

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: Facebook or Facebook HTC Sense

As far as i know...and i'm pretty new at this so i could be wrong...i think you have to manually "link" each of the contacts (so link your facebook "Joe Smith" with your contact "Joe Smith") and then once that's done they will remain sync'd as the same contact from here on out. That's what i did and it worked just fine, but if there's a better way out there i'd love to hear it.

rahrah12

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

As far as i know...and i'm pretty new at this so i could be wrong...i think you have to manually "link" each of the contacts (so link your facebook "Joe Smith" with your contact "Joe Smith") and then once that's done they will remain sync'd as the same contact from here on out. That's what i did and it worked just fine, but if there's a better way out there i'd love to hear it.

For some reason that is still not working for me...I wish it was that simple...i'd be willing to go through my 2k+ contacts and link them all...

irock1985

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site

For some reason that is still not working for me...I wish it was that simple...i'd be willing to go through my 2k+ contacts and link them all...

Do you have the FaceBook App? If so un install it (or open it goto settings and disable contact sync) and then try again... maybe they are interfering with one another

rahrah12

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

Yeah I'm going through the same thing right now. In the "People" app hit the menu button and then "View." From here you can tell the app which "contact lists" you want the phone to show. Because I backed up all my contacts to google before I made the switch, I'm just gonna use my google contacts.

I should've done something like that. I just had the people at Sprint transfer all of my contacts over from my old phone. I figured once I set up facebook that they would sync together...what is puzzling is even when I manually try to sync it does not work...

even if I use a new contact list it doesn't appear that the picture shows up with the name when I want to make a call...

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

I should've done something like that. I just had the people at Sprint transfer all of my contacts over from my old phone. I figured once I set up facebook that they would sync together...what is puzzling is even when I manually try to sync it does not work...

even if I use a new contact list it doesn't appear that the picture shows up with the name when I want to make a call...

Using the people app, export your contacts from the phone to the sd card. Now using the people app again, import the contacts into your gmail account and under view, make sure to turn off showing the contacts that are in the phone to avoid seeing duplicates. Actually, if you really want, you can delete them all and have nothing in the phone and just have them in your gmail. Synching should work that way.

Reactions: rahrah12

rahrah12

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

Using the people app, export your contacts from the phone to the sd card. Now using the people app again, import the contacts into your gmail account and under view, make sure to turn off showing the contacts that are in the phone to avoid seeing duplicates. Actually, if you really want, you can delete them all and have nothing in the phone and just have them in your gmail. Synching should work that way.

looks like that will work.

You don't know how happy that makes me...i've been messing with this for the last 2 days (premier customer).

If we were in the same city i'd buy you a drink.

Thank you!

Kaiser S

May 10, 2011
Visit site
First let me say I'm loving the phone so far.

I too am having problems with the contacts not linking properly. I tried exporting all the contacts in "phone", but there weren't any contacts to export. I only have my gmail and the Facebook for sense as being viewed. Any other ideas on why it won't allow them to link up?

SCSnare

May 20, 2011
www.mricks.com
I had this problem and followed the instructions here: http://www.evo4gforum.net/htc-evo-4g-how-to/common-how-to-questions/

Looks like everything's back to how they should be. Had to manually link a few, but no more duplicates!

Q: I have duplicate contacts showing up in my People app. How do I fix that?
A: The easiest way is to go to your Gmail account on a computer. Click Contacts. Under More Options, choose Find and merge duplicates. If you find you still have duplicates on your phone, go to Settings, Accounts & Sync, and uncheck "Sync contacts." Then go to the People app, press Menu, Export, and export your contacts to the SD card. Once that is done, go to Settings, Manage Applications, All, Contacts Storage, and press Clear Data. Scroll down and do the same for People. That should wipe out all of your contacts on your phone. Then go back into Accounts & Sync and turn the Google contacts sync back on. Your contacts should now sync correctly and, if so, you can delete the export file on your SD card.

Reactions: deliwrek

SCSnare

May 20, 2011
www.mricks.com
I had this problem and followed the instructions here: http://www.evo4gforum.net/htc-evo-4g-how-to/common-how-to-questions/

Looks like everything's back to how they should be. Had to manually link a few, but no more duplicates!

Q: I have duplicate contacts showing up in my People app. How do I fix that?
A: The easiest way is to go to your Gmail account on a computer. Click Contacts. Under More Options, choose Find and merge duplicates. If you find you still have duplicates on your phone, go to Settings, Accounts & Sync, and uncheck "Sync contacts." Then go to the People app, press Menu, Export, and export your contacts to the SD card. Once that is done, go to Settings, Manage Applications, All, Contacts Storage, and press Clear Data. Scroll down and do the same for People. That should wipe out all of your contacts on your phone. Then go back into Accounts & Sync and turn the Google contacts sync back on. Your contacts should now sync correctly and, if so, you can delete the export file on your SD card.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

looks like that will work.

You don't know how happy that makes me...i've been messing with this for the last 2 days (premier customer).

If we were in the same city i'd buy you a drink.

Thank you!

LOL...thanks for the offer, just hit the Thanks button! ;)

deliwrek

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site

I was having the exact same problem, but I figured out how to fix it. Kind of on accident to. Well, I didn't actually fix it, because it's a process that seems absolutely unnecessary. Anyway, here it is:

Click the "People" application. Select the contact that you want to link with Facebook. Click "Edit". Scroll down and edit the Organization by adding one or a job title. (I'd imagine you can edit any of the fields to make this work, but I haven't tried the other ones). Now scroll all the way down (not sure if it's necessary or not) and then click "Save". Now immediately click the little chain link icon on the top right and a suggested link will pop up automatically. If not, click "Facebook for HTC Sense." and manually select the friend you wish to link and IT WILL WORK. Exciting, huh?

I'm glad I can now link friends, but I wish it would just work the was it's supposed to.

EEEMasta

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

I was having the exact same problem, but I figured out how to fix it. Kind of on accident to. Well, I didn't actually fix it, because it's a process that seems absolutely unnecessary. Anyway, here it is:

Click the "People" application. Select the contact that you want to link with Facebook. Click "Edit". Scroll down and edit the Organization by adding one or a job title. (I'd imagine you can edit any of the fields to make this work, but I haven't tried the other ones). Now scroll all the way down (not sure if it's necessary or not) and then click "Save". Now immediately click the little chain link icon on the top right and a suggested link will pop up automatically. If not, click "Facebook for HTC Sense." and manually select the friend you wish to link and IT WILL WORK. Exciting, huh?

I'm glad I can now link friends, but I wish it would just work the was it's supposed to.

I ran into this exact same problem too when I imported from my Pre. All you have to do is make it save anything to the contact. You can even click on the name, select the first name, and then just save it. You dont have to even edit anything. Something about the saving process makes it linkable. No idea why, must just be a glitch. Well that and the way Sprint rips your contacts from one phone to the other is filled with glitches and lost data. I had a couple of contacts that plain didn't make it and some that arrived without info...infernal machine.

mjw5151

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

YES this worked! However "EEEMasta" I had to edit something, so I would just add a letter to the organization box and than save it. I have been reading around on and no one else has figured out a fix, this is the first one that I have seen. I had my contacts transfered over from my BB Curve and I feel like this has something to do with it since the EVO has to save it again before it recognized the duplicates contacts. I just wish it would work the right way.

Also one thing that worked even better was the fact that the guy at the Sprint store backed my contacts from my BB onto my SD card on my EVO. So what I did was I hid the "Facebook for HTC Sence" contacts from the "View" menu and than I deleted all the "Phone" contacts that they transfered over. Next imported all the contacts from the SD card and put them under "Phone". Next time you sync your "Facebook for HTC Sense" contacts IT WILL recognize the duplicates and you will get the link notifications. This confirms that it has something to do with the way they transfer the contacts at the Sprint store to your phone. I would go to the store and take your old phone and have them transfer the contacts to your EVO SD card. Hope this helps!

That's what we get for buying a phone the just came out :'( they will most likely fix this with a firmware update later on once they pool all the bugs they found together.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance