EVO 3D Support Group For Palm webOS Users
05-08-2012 05:53 PM
Android automatically syncs contacts, calendar, and profile photos with Microsoft Exchange, Facebook, Flickr, Google, LinkedIn, and Twitter. A friend's photos, status, name and number pops up when they call. If a freind updates their Facebook photo, status, email, or phone, your phone is automatically updated too. To set accounts to sync: Tap Home > Menu > Settings > Accounts & Sync. See the Getting Started, Facebook, Twitter, & LinkedIn Sync for more..
As to Multitasking...
In June 2009, webOS first offered manual multitasking with cards you move around. Android has had full automatic multitasking since 2007. Just long-press Home to see your last 8 apps or just open the app as you normally would. Email, Messaging, and the Browser will open right where you left off. I think that you are wanting see cards?
If you miss cards, try Perfect Task Switcher, Visual Task Switcher, Wave Launcher, or Itching Thumb. Also consider launchers such as LauncherPro. You may find that no cards are better than having to use cards.
Here are three of the most popular with former webOS users. Click the links for more info.
Perfect Task Switcher
Visual Task Switcher
Itching Thumb06-25-2011 07:00 PM
- I'll play devil's advocate although it's difficult to find anything. I miss my Pre's battery percentage hack, the pipe symbol on the keyboard (not for Linux, merely to make a proper email signature), and the ability to truly end a task without digging for the "kill all" button. And of course the ability to swipe angrily away a card I didn't want anymore.
I know there are apps for these things, but I just don't trust non OEM or major developer apps on my not even scratched yet 3D. Although Preware was underground I didn't care because I was on my 5th defective phone by then.
Nitpicking aside, let's all enjoy our top of the Android heap status for the next couple weeks until EVO Nitrous Maximus Supreme II comes along.
One thing that worries me about our new pride and joy is that too many people think that this phone is 3d all the time including menus and are afraid of the eye strain myths, when in reality you could use the phone for your entire contract without ever seeing 3d if you were so inclined. We need to educate everyone. The more in the EVO army the more likely we get updates. Case in point original Droid getting everything before all the other phones.06-25-2011 08:27 PM
- ...I do miss Just Type. I make quite a few calls and want to "just type" the name......Tons of icons. I need to learn how to use the folder system and get it all set up....I do miss the way the Pre did notifications. I liked the preview of the first line of the email - perhaps there's an app for that?
Executive Assistant lets you respond to notifications from the lock screen. You can set it to shoe the first lines of an email.06-25-2011 08:44 PM
- Multitasking Notes For NerdsWhen you leave an app to open another, Android "freezes" the first app as a "save state". It actually can do this for dozens of apps, not just the last 8.
If you are not a nerd, shield your eyes! If you are, you may have more questions about just how Android does "Multitasking." Your phone can't actually do more than one thing at a time. Android uses "time sharing" to make it seem like it is doing dozens of things at once. Apps and processes "save state" until needed again. This saves battery and is so fast that apps reopen right where you left off. Here is a from Google.
At first it keeps the full memory space open but over time just takes a snap shot of where you were so it can re-open in that spot later. Watch the . You will love it. She explains why task killers are evil.06-25-2011 08:58 PM
- VZW Pre+ user here, waiting for the Droid 3 (can't quite separate myself from the physical keyboard) or the Bionic. However, I have been enjoying using my Transformer tablet for a couple weeks. The fact that I have gotten more freeapps from Amazon than I've wanted to purchase from WebS is telling.
The two things I wish I could carry over to android are 1) a good way to close the browser (when I "start" a new session of web browsing I prefer to start on the homepage, I don't like having the browser sitting on the last page I left off last time.) 2) The homebrew hack that allows you to delete emails directly from the notification area.
-Suntan06-25-2011 09:34 PM
- ...the ability to truly end a task without digging for the "kill all" button. And of course the ability to swipe angrily away a card I didn't want anymore.
The apps you see recommended by Android Central and Endaget are really good. Always check the reviews before you download. The Getting Started section on Applications lists many of our favorites like those above.06-25-2011 09:38 PM
- Battery Status : Puts real battery % in status bar.
Try Visual Task Switcher, Wave Launcher, or Itching Thumb. My favorite is Perfect Task Switcher.
The apps you see recommended by Android Central and Endaget are really good. Always check the reviews before you download. The Getting Started section on Applications lists many of our favorites like those above.06-25-2011 11:18 PM
- 06-26-2011 12:11 AM
- I switched from Pre- to the EVO Shift 4G last March, following HP's announcement of the Pre3 launch this summer. With the EVO Shift, I hardly ever use the physical keyboard, although it does come in handy once in a while. A bigger display like the EVO 3D size would definitely be better. I've found Android to be stable and robust, although not as intuitive and simple as webOS. I miss the Touchstone charger the most and cards and the back-swipe gesture too. No looking back, HP dropped the ball last February...too little, too late.06-26-2011 12:14 AM
- I wish I could explain in words what I am feeling today. I have had Palm products since the Treo 600. I had a launch day Sprint Pre and loved it. I love WebOS I think the way you move in it and the things you can do with it is amazing, I love the community and how easy patching was in it. I spent years fighting with friends talking about how the OS is amazing and so forth. I went to war for WebOS and what did I get for it? I always thought I had what I needed with my pre that the apps were limited but I had what I needed covered. Boy was I wrong. I now understand what my friends were talking about. It is nice to have an app for everything. Its funny, I still find my self trying to "swipe" away things from the screen and getting used to not having a way to turn off the apps unless I kill them is not easy. When I look at the the whole thing I am glad I moved on. hopefully one day someone will make a ROM that works somewhat like WebOS.06-26-2011 12:39 AMLike 3
- I'm not too happy w/ the lack of "synergy" =/ Though, this is at the cost of a native gmail client I suppose. Carousel is annoying because I like to swipe to an end, and stop. 3D effect is very nice though. Don't like the dialer either. Much rather have the stock dialer if I could (can i... without rooting?)
But what frustrates me right now is exchange. The default mail app will pull in contacts, as well as let you search my work ldap. awesome. pulls in calendars (not sure if it does multiple tho), great too. But I realized there's no default task app. So... to get tasks, I have to find something else. Touchdown does it all, but doesn't integrate into the sense calendar or contacts. And costs $20.
Anyone have any good (and actually well made... I see why ppl make fun of android apps.. there's a lot of bad looking stuff out there) task apps out there that will ideally work with both gmail/google tasks (sidenote: why doesn't this app already exist on it's own) and exchange apps?
My other gripe has to do with Google Music. When you download music from it, I can't see it from the stock Sense player, which I oddly prefer (tho I don't like the sense menu bar at the bottom of many htc apps). I don't know if it's because android is not like the Pre where anything not hidden can by seen by any app (media wise anyway) or if it's because google music downloads files and seemingly strips it's metadata (windows can't see it anyway).
But other than that... boy is it nice to actually have a choice of apps =) And it's fast. Instant loading... oh how I've dreaded rebooting the Pre. Well, ok, I still miss cards (don't like any of the hacky launchers for android) Oh, and I love how it auto swaps stuff on your homescreen if it doesn't fit. That was very annoying when setting up my mom's nexus s for her.06-26-2011 12:50 AM
- Looks like I'm on the same boat with a bunch of other of owners.
I got a launch Pre. Absolutely fell in love with webOS. I still love webOS to this day, it's just I literally could not get over the fact that my Pre had ancient hardware. Almost any problem I had with webOS was due to poor hardware. Processor was slow, extremely small battery, bad edges around the corner on the touchscreen, etc.
I wanted to get the original EVO 4G but wasn't able to do so because I was still on contract w/ the Pre.
Glad I waited because now I'm a proud owner of an EVO 3D. It's truly amazing. What's so funny, is when I read all the specs, reviews, comments about it, the idea of 3D was implemented in my brain as a gimmick. I guess I subconsciously thought it was a nice feature but I'll never use.
After checking out 3D on the phone, I probably won't use it down the road but it is pretty cool. The 3D is indeed amazing. I've never used my phone as an ultimate gaming device (besides time-wasting games), but the phone exceeds my expectations and my expectations for it were super high.06-26-2011 01:08 AM
- 06-26-2011 01:40 AM
- Does anyone know of an App that works like Spotlight on the Mac or the "Universal Search" function of the Pre? I'm finding that I really miss that.
Also, any way to bring up the text keyboard in the phone app instead of having to use the number pad to enter names to call?
Is Gmail permanently separate from all my other email accounts? or do I need to set it up as POP/IMAP in the Mail app if I wish it to be in the same place as my other email?
Any way to copy SMS messages/Tasks/Memos from the Pre to the EVO 3D?
Thank in advance for any help/tips!
To search for a contact without going to the contacts app or phone dialer, follow the steps above. It works just like Web OS except you need to hit the search button first.
You can use any e-mail account in the basic email app that HTC provided you with the phone. Just add your multiple accounts and you should be able to view all accounts just like Web OS.06-26-2011 01:48 AM
- Personally, I'm missing Universal Search/Just Type. I know the Android fanboys will say that it's not missing, but unless you have a physical keyboard, you can't just start typing something. I'll get over it though. This phone is pretty sweet. I was a Pre- user since almost day one, and just couldn't wait any longer for a new webOS phone on Sprint.06-26-2011 01:52 AM
- 06-26-2011 02:03 AM
- For months/years I've argued relentlessly with avid iPhone and Droid users. Trying my very best to convince them on how awesome webos actually is. However, to no avail. Hardly any software upgrade, unreliable hardware, a scarce app market, for heaven sake they even refuse to give us flash. Now, the ship is sinking. Alas, a life life was thrown out to me. Who could it be? None other than HTC EVO 3D. As I'm being rescued, carried off to saftey. I can't help but look back. With tear filled eyes. I'll miss you palm pre :-(.06-26-2011 02:40 AM
Unlock phone, hold search button, say " call contact name" and it calls. If you just say a word or phrase it will Google it. I understand it will message and email as well but have not tested that feature yet.
My lil' Pre minus feels so small in my hand now, sniff. I'm still getting emails over wi-fi so the notification light was blinking. Had this little machine for about a year and a half now Really loved the interface, just how natural and intuitive everything was. Stayed strong as long as I could, but am ready for something new. I think I'm gonna turn it off now.
Wow the HTC EVO 3D is amazing. Havin' trouble adjusting to NOT swiping, but no regrets. It's bittersweet, but I'm finally moving forward!06-26-2011 02:59 AM
- HTC Android Phones
- More HTC Phones
- HTC EVO Series
- HTC EVO 3D
EVO 3D Support Group For Palm webOS Users
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD