EVO 3D Support Group For Palm webOS Users

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: Support Group For Palm webOS Users

I am a current Sprint Pre- user who was planning to convert to the Evo 3D until I remembered Sprint's $10 Monthly Premium Data Charge.

I would not consider myself a heavy smartphone use...

The Netflix app really excites me, but is it really feasable to watch a movie on a 4.3" screen with a poor speaker?...
Movies on a 4.3" screen are amazing. I have ripped a dozen of my favorites to have with me. When you go from a tiny screen to the 4.3", you will suddenly be using 11x the data on average.

Part of it is that the screen has four times the pixels but you will use it for everything now.

On the Pre, you may not realize it but you use it only as a last resort because it is so limited. Take away the limits and you suddenly want to see everything.

You get 30 days to try out the EVO 3D. Return it if you don't like it. But in a day you will be so hooked you will never be able to go back.

Look at the resources in the opening post. You will never look back.

mpnalvin

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site

I to am recovering from webos, I really miss how webos worked but I didn't want a phone anymore that was 2 years old plus my phone fell in beer so I waited for the Evo 3d to launch Im happy but I miss webos

Well, at least your Pre died happy. :D

crholt

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site

Picked up my 3D this morning and have pretty much gotten nothing done today other than play with the phone! Like other Pre refugees, I'm going to have to stop trying to swipe back and/or up. Had a nice chat with the salesperson at the Sprint store - she had also been a Pre diehard, so she knew where I was coming from. All in all, pretty impressive, and once I get used to the "new normal" way of doing things, it's going to be a great ride. I really wish HP and webOS great success, and who knows - when my 2 year contract is up, maybe they'll be the real competitor that a lot of us thought they should/would be.

Darknight1

May 16, 2011
Visit site

I am also a refugee from a launch-day Sprint Pre(minus). I actually have exactly the same hardware, apparently I was lucky and got a good one.

Has anyone actually successfully loaded "Itching Thumb" on the Evo 3d? I've tried but I just can't get it to work. Probably user error, but all it gives me is a blank darkened center section with a different wallpaper when I launch the app. When I double-click home it does nothing at all, and I have "Itching Thumb" set to the default launcher.

Thanks!

DK

VickMackey#AC

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site

After a few days with the 3D, I am absolutely FLOORED at how capable Android is. It is so well thought and and polished(2.3.3) That I cannot imagine ever going back to webOS. Down to the little icon on a message to denote that it's sending a MMS, and it disappears when the image is sent. The little things make a huge difference that webOS is surely lacking. Also, am the only one that does NOT miss cards? I find it sooo much faster to jump from app to app without having to fumble with them.

Example.

Twitter widget--tap--Twitter feed--tap---go to website/article <--back button, back to feed. Cards are nice but necessary.

theotherlinh

Apr 21, 2011
theotherlinh.com

After a few days with the 3D, I am absolutely FLOORED at how capable Android is. It is so well thought and and polished(2.3.3) That I cannot imagine ever going back to webOS. Down to the little icon on a message to denote that it's sending a MMS, and it disappears when the image is sent. The little things make a huge difference that webOS is surely lacking. Also, am the only one that does NOT miss cards? I find it sooo much faster to jump from app to app without having to fumble with them.

Example.

Twitter widget--tap--Twitter feed--tap---go to website/article <--back button, back to feed. Cards are nice but necessary.

I miss gestures more. so many places in android where it'd make sense to just have back and forth gestures on the screen.

as for polish, I'm not sure I agree. webOS showed things as sent when it ungreyed, I thought that was pretty nice. but this is HTC's work. Stock android is painful in the sense you really have to spend a lot of time customizing I think, heh. I find there are certainly some UI consistency issues in terms of where you don't realize there's more settings. Like in Wifi Settings... would never have guessed the menu button would have brought up another menu (a rather important once to configure wifi sleep).

There's a handful of other misc things like exchange support that irks me as well. no built in task app like webOS? or if not exchange sync, no built in google tasks sync? yeah, there are free ones, but c'mon google. and I see where the complaints about fit and finish on apps.. the best rated exchange client makes me feel like I'm somewhere in windows 95, heh (I also don't want to pay $20 to then break my calendar "synergy")

Synergy is also another thing that was nice. I tried to remove one of my google calendar accounts from syncing, but the data still seems to reside on the device. More likely an HTC thing. Yes, I can just uncheck it, but it irks me that it's there. And I can't change the color of my exchange calendar (or maybe others, haven't verified if they sync w/ google colors).

But does this mean I dislike android? Nah, for every little thing here, there's a big thing on webOS still missing. I will say I finally held a veer and would seriously consider it if it was on sprint. I find i don't necessarily NEED all these apps, the core worked well enough for me. And man, that thing is tiny =) However, I just can't sit through another OS reboot right now.

Oh, why didn't HTC make a fast way to get to your favorite contacts from the phone dialer!?? stock dialer is so much nicer =(

mike814

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site

I just bought the evo 3d. I've messed around for the past 5 hours and I think the O.S. is horrible. I can't download an update because the battery is less than 35%, even though it is plugged into the charger. I tried to open a link on a website and it said I have too many pages open. I guess the one browser I had open is too much. I think I'm going to return the phone and eat the $35 restocking fee. I would however absolutely love this phone if it was running webos. The hardware is great! That's what sold me on it.

VickMackey#AC

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site

I just bought the evo 3d. I've messed around for the past 5 hours and I think the O.S. is horrible. I can't download an update because the battery is less than 35%, even though it is plugged into the charger. I tried to open a link on a website and it said I have too many pages open. I guess the one browser I had open is too much. I think I'm going to return the phone and eat the $35 restocking fee. I would however absolutely love this phone if it was running webos. The hardware is great! That's what sold me on it.

You can't install updates on webos either if your battery isn't at a certain point. EVEN if it's also plugged in so that isn't anything unique to Android. And I don't think I understand how you got that message. It takes a LOT to max out this phones memory and I simply haven't brushed up a memory limit at this point. Did you have like 100 apps open or something?

VickMackey#AC

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site

I miss gestures more. so many places in android where it'd make sense to just have back and forth gestures on the screen.

as for polish, I'm not sure I agree. webOS showed things as sent when it ungreyed, I thought that was pretty nice. but this is HTC's work. Stock android is painful in the sense you really have to spend a lot of time customizing I think, heh. I find there are certainly some UI consistency issues in terms of where you don't realize there's more settings. Like in Wifi Settings... would never have guessed the menu button would have brought up another menu (a rather important once to configure wifi sleep).

There's a handful of other misc things like exchange support that irks me as well. no built in task app like webOS? or if not exchange sync, no built in google tasks sync? yeah, there are free ones, but c'mon google. and I see where the complaints about fit and finish on apps.. the best rated exchange client makes me feel like I'm somewhere in windows 95, heh (I also don't want to pay $20 to then break my calendar "synergy")

Synergy is also another thing that was nice. I tried to remove one of my google calendar accounts from syncing, but the data still seems to reside on the device. More likely an HTC thing. Yes, I can just uncheck it, but it irks me that it's there. And I can't change the color of my exchange calendar (or maybe others, haven't verified if they sync w/ google colors).

But does this mean I dislike android? Nah, for every little thing here, there's a big thing on webOS still missing. I will say I finally held a veer and would seriously consider it if it was on sprint. I find i don't necessarily NEED all these apps, the core worked well enough for me. And man, that thing is tiny =) However, I just can't sit through another OS reboot right now.

Oh, why didn't HTC make a fast way to get to your favorite contacts from the phone dialer!?? stock dialer is so much nicer =(

Agree completely, Sense dialer is trash...why oh why do i need to see my entire contact list when I open the phone app? Is there any way to change the default to call history or favorites?

jeffbengr

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

Yet another launch day Pre owner who got tired of waiting for HP to "make things right". Ordered the 3D just after midnight on the Premier presale. Took a couple of days to activate the new phone (did all the setup on WiFi, as a last hurrah I had to go hack WebOS 2.1 onto my Pre and prove that it worked, making phone calls and all).

So 6 days in to this, about all I miss is the WebOS Internals gang and checking Preware to see what else they've cooked up. Maybe we need to convince them to come join us, and become the Palm Outcasts EVO3D Internals group or something like that!

Oh, and most importantly(??!!), I figured out how to transfer my Angry Birds and Angry Birds Rio progress from the Pre to the EVO 3D! :D Saved a bunch of time getting to the new levels that Rovio and/or HP is holding back on us. Unfortunately I couldn't get Seasons progress to transfer over.

chrish421

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

Hi pre owner from day one and still have my original pre. It's in good shap so I'm enjoying it as a wifi device and a way to follow whats going on with webos. Got to say love my Evo3d have found some cool apps loving the screen size and picture quality and realy enjoy 3d. It's exiting to have a new phone again and discover new things all the time.
P.S.
I laugh at all the ppl complaining about battery life coming frome a pre lasting a whole day is a miracle! LOL

anon(374252)

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site

Yet another launch day Pre owner who got tired of waiting for HP to "make things right". Ordered the 3D just after midnight on the Premier presale. Took a couple of days to activate the new phone (did all the setup on WiFi, as a last hurrah I had to go hack WebOS 2.1 onto my Pre and prove that it worked, making phone calls and all).

So 6 days in to this, about all I miss is the WebOS Internals gang and checking Preware to see what else they've cooked up. Maybe we need to convince them to come join us, and become the Palm Outcasts EVO3D Internals group or something like that!

Oh, and most importantly(??!!), I figured out how to transfer my Angry Birds and Angry Birds Rio progress from the Pre to the EVO 3D! :D Saved a bunch of time getting to the new levels that Rovio and/or HP is holding back on us. Unfortunately I couldn't get Seasons progress to transfer over.

I love this thread! I am a former Pre launch day owner as well. I am also a Premier customer as well. I could have gotten the EVO 4G last year but choose to wait and see if HP/Palm was going to release a new WebOS device on Sprint. Could not wait anymore. Seeing all my co-workers getting new phone upgrades, ie. iPhone 3GS to iPhone 4, or Andriod 2.1 to 2.3. Thanks to the PreCentral.net community for all the hard work in patches and tips on the Pre and WebOS. I wanted the Pre3 but with no word from Sprint that is was coming I gave up waiting. Because I love the webOS I might invest in a HP TouchPad. As far as my EVO 3D...Simply love it. The speed is awesome and I finally can video chat! The ability to multitask is not as bad as I thought it would be. Love the EVO 3D!!!

droidboyz

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

I also hope there is a Modeswitcher equivalent for Android!

Enter "profiles" ( don't include quotes) on the Droid Market search box. There are quite a few applications with similar functionality to that on WebOS Modeswitcher

theotherlinh

Apr 21, 2011
theotherlinh.com

Is there a "Quick Contacts" type app. for android?

Well, you don't need it if we had a better dialer. On stock gingerbread, you can define your favorites, and it's a tab in your phone.

alternatively, you can create dial to shortcuts on your homepages.

alternatively2, you can use the HTC people widget to show a group. And just define the default action for those in that group to direct dial (this is what I do).

daikon

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Re: Export contacts from Palm Pre

Great post, also much easier, just sink all you contacts with Google, if you ever loose your phone, you still have them. That is for those with out fear of clouds ;-)

For those of us with "the fear" is their a way to transfer this .vcf file directly to the evo 3d via usb cord?

daikon

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Best way to transfer contacts from Palm Pre -

Hello everyone,

I have read the other threads about transferring contacts and the problems with acounts not syncing correctly/ phone numbers showing up in texts especially when the google and the facebook decide to wage WAR.

I am wondering what is the best way to transfer all contacts from a palm pre without any errors or issues of any kind.

I prefer not to upload to any kind of cloud if possible ....for fear of big brother... although if that is the way....SO BE IT!!!!!!!

Thank you!:p:p:D:D:D:-$

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Re: Best way to transfer contacts from Palm Pre -

best way would be to sync to them to Google. despite your fear of the cloud. Search the forums, some one had a nice export contacts method written up. =)

BrentF

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

On my Pre I was able to run Pandora and get Bluetooth AVRCP controls for Pandora through my car (Ford Edge)... I can't on the Android when I run Pandora... I still get the sound, but not the pause, next buttons. Can anyone help with this? Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Indyrobb

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Re: Best way to transfer contacts from Palm Pre -

You can use the directions found at the link below to export your contacts to a vcard file. Move the vcard file to your sdcard, and then do an import. I'm not sure if that will import multiple contacts or not. Edit to say, that to do an import, you go to people, menu, then import/export.

How To: Export and move your contacts with a patch

I had to use this method when I replaced my Pre with my original EVO last year because when they set up my Pre in the store, they set it up so my contacts were saving to my Palm profile rather than Google, and being new to smart phones and the cloud in general, I didn't know any better, although I now save all of my contacts to google.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC