EVO 3D Support Group For Palm webOS Users

lunadog

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Re: Support Group For Palm webOS Users

Lovin the new EVO 3D. Its everything I wanted the Pre to become 2 years ago. Anyone know of any potential problem with using the Pre usb cord and charger? The cord fits but i am not sure about using the outlet to usb adapter from Pre to charge my EVO 3D.

saiks

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site

Former WebOS / Original Pre Owner. HP/Palm is missing out on a great market with what could have been a great OS. That said.. I picked up my EVO 3D first thing yesterday morning and am not looking back.

My dying Palm left to the EVO 3D its chargers as now they are all micro USB and are working just fine.

For all the WebOS diehards - they just need to move on. Android is pretty good and this phone moves much smoother than my Palm ever did.

I am still making my way around this phone and finding things (but.. where in the heck is the COMPASS???)

The biggest habits i have to break? - trying to slide out the keyboard when typing and SWIPING!!!

I know i am back gesturing like a crazy hut over here too. But getting used to the back button tho. I love this phone with android + apps(wholesome) was the icing on top of the cake. The 3D cam is great i don't see anything gimmicky about it and work nice with my tv.

cbwrob

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site

Lovin the new EVO 3D. Its everything I wanted the Pre to become 2 years ago. Anyone know of any potential problem with using the Pre usb cord and charger? The cord fits but i am not sure about using the outlet to usb adapter from Pre to charge my EVO 3D.

The nice thing about the Pre was it did have the same port as the Evo and Evo 3D have.

My wife uses my old Pre Charger and my new Evo 3D cable at work...I am using the original Pre cable with the HTC charger(the Pre cable is a little bit longer than the the HTC cable).

Long story short YES!!

Reactions: crholt

dvkim

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

Android does have a similar feature. You just have to do it within the phone app. Just start typing the person's name as you would on one of those old numeric keypad phones. The EVO will figure out what are you are trying to type and display the correct contact.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk

With so many contacts it seems like you would get too many results.

dvkim

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

I frequently use my phone while driving. With the pre it was a snap to look up a contact and dial with one hand. Can someone comment on the easiest way to do this on the Evo?

lunadog

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site

I frequently use my phone while driving. With the pre it was a snap to look up a contact and dial with one hand. Can someone comment on the easiest way to do this on the Evo?

Have you checked out the Car Panel app? It give you large buttons on the screen with a few options. May be your best bet for quick car dialing.

gbritton

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
webos-like messaging app

Coming from a Palm Pre, I'm generally quite pleased with my new evo 3d. But, when it comes to messaging, I've found things a little lacking. Initially text messages were being handled by the messaging app which seemed reasonable, but after installing the Google voice app, it has taken over receiving texts and I can't figure out any way to change that. Additionally, neither app handles other messaging protocols. With webos, the same app would handle text messages as well as aim, Google talk, etc.

Is there any android app that acts like the webos messaging app to unify messaging in one place? And is there any way to control which app is handling incoming messages or is that entirely hidden from the user?

BlueGoldAce

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: webos-like messaging app

In google voice settings, turn off notifications, and turn on notification via text message. Then you will get all your text messages via the messaging app, and not google voice.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site

Hello Everyone,

I am about to make the switch as well and have a wierd problem. I made an email account, put it on my Pre -, and then forgot the password. I would like to have that account on Evo 3D but I can not recover the password at all. (I misstyped my recovery email...twice....i know...lol)

Is there any way to "unhide" the passwords for email accounts on the palm pre? If not, when I switch phones, I will lose access to that email as that phone is the only place I have the password stored.

Any help would be apreciated..:'(
Whatever that email account is, it is accessible on your PC. Log in and ask for a password reset.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: So what do you Palm Pre converts think about the EVO3D so far

Other than Synergy and WebOS multitasking, are there any other missing Pre features?
From the Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android:
Contact "Synergy"
Android automatically syncs contacts, calendar, and profile photos with Microsoft Exchange, Facebook, Flickr, Google, LinkedIn, and Twitter. A friend's photos, status, name and number pops up when they call. If a freind updates their Facebook photo, status, email, or phone, your phone is automatically updated too. To set accounts to sync: Tap Home > Menu > Settings > Accounts & Sync. See the Getting Started, Facebook, Twitter, & LinkedIn Sync for more..

As to Multitasking...

In June 2009, webOS first offered manual multitasking with cards you move around. Android has had full automatic multitasking since 2007. Just long-press Home to see your last 8 apps or just open the app as you normally would. Email, Messaging, and the Browser will open right where you left off. I think that you are wanting see cards?

Cards
If you miss cards, try Perfect Task Switcher, Visual Task Switcher, Wave Launcher, or Itching Thumb. Also consider launchers such as LauncherPro. You may find that no cards are better than having to use cards.

Here are three of the most popular with former webOS users. Click the links for more info.

Perfect Task Switcher

11091d1308954772-palm-webos-homebrewers-guide-android-perfect_task_switcher-thumb.png

Visual Task Switcher

4282d1289234934-palm-webos-homebrewers-guide-android-visual-task-switcher-thumb.jpg

Itching Thumb

4283d1289234986-palm-webos-homebrewers-guide-android-itchy-thumb-thumb.jpg

Last edited:

sjamie

Grand Tech
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

If Android automatically keeps track of where you were in the last 8 apps you've used, can this cause memory leaks? How do you tell an app to close and dump memory?

kx250ryder

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

I'll play devil's advocate although it's difficult to find anything. I miss my Pre's battery percentage hack, the pipe symbol on the keyboard (not for Linux, merely to make a proper email signature), and the ability to truly end a task without digging for the "kill all" button. And of course the ability to swipe angrily away a card I didn't want anymore.

I know there are apps for these things, but I just don't trust non OEM or major developer apps on my not even scratched yet 3D. Although Preware was underground I didn't care because I was on my 5th defective phone by then.

Nitpicking aside, let's all enjoy our top of the Android heap status for the next couple weeks until EVO Nitrous Maximus Supreme II comes along.

One thing that worries me about our new pride and joy is that too many people think that this phone is 3d all the time including menus and are afraid of the eye strain myths, when in reality you could use the phone for your entire contract without ever seeing 3d if you were so inclined. We need to educate everyone. The more in the EVO army the more likely we get updates. Case in point original Droid getting everything before all the other phones.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: So what do you Palm Pre converts think about the EVO3D so far

...I do miss being able to long swipe along the bottom to switch open apps...
See the apps above. Swipe up to throw away an app. Tap to open.

...I do miss Just Type. I make quite a few calls and want to "just type" the name...

It does this! TapSearch and then start typing "Elij" and your name will pop right up. See Search to customize and much more.

...Tons of icons. I need to learn how to use the folder system and get it all set up.
See the Folders section. FolderOrganizer is the apps to use. So easy.
...I do miss the way the Pre did notifications. I liked the preview of the first line of the email - perhaps there's an app for that?

10474-getting-started-android-tips-tricks-executive-assistant-thumb2.jpg

Executive Assistant lets you respond to notifications from the lock screen. You can set it to shoe the first lines of an email.

Reactions: ElijahRain

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site

If Android automatically keeps track of where you were in the last 8 apps you've used, can this cause memory leaks? How do you tell an app to close and dump memory?
See Multitasking in the Getting Started, especially the bit at the end,
Multitasking Notes For Nerds
If you are not a nerd, shield your eyes! If you are, you may have more questions about just how Android does "Multitasking." Your phone can't actually do more than one thing at a time. Android uses "time sharing" to make it seem like it is doing dozens of things at once. Apps and processes "save state" until needed again. This saves battery and is so fast that apps reopen right where you left off. Here is a very nerdy video and Multitasking the Android Way from Google.
When you leave an app to open another, Android "freezes" the first app as a "save state". It actually can do this for dozens of apps, not just the last 8.

At first it keeps the full memory space open but over time just takes a snap shot of where you were so it can re-open in that spot later. Watch the very nerdy video. You will love it. She explains why task killers are evil.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

VZW Pre+ user here, waiting for the Droid 3 (can't quite separate myself from the physical keyboard) or the Bionic. However, I have been enjoying using my Transformer tablet for a couple weeks. The fact that I have gotten more freeapps from Amazon than I've wanted to purchase from WebS is telling.

The two things I wish I could carry over to android are 1) a good way to close the browser (when I "start" a new session of web browsing I prefer to start on the homepage, I don't like having the browser sitting on the last page I left off last time.) 2) The homebrew hack that allows you to delete emails directly from the notification area.

-Suntan

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site

I'll play devil's advocate although it's difficult to find anything. I miss my Pre's battery percentage hack...

attachment.php
Battery Status : Puts real battery % in status bar.

...the ability to truly end a task without digging for the "kill all" button. And of course the ability to swipe angrily away a card I didn't want anymore.

Try Visual Task Switcher, Wave Launcher, or Itching Thumb. My favorite is Perfect Task Switcher.

The apps you see recommended by Android Central and Endaget are really good. Always check the reviews before you download. The Getting Started section on Applications lists many of our favorites like those above.

Reactions: crholt

bosabilene#AC

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site

Remote desktop! The remote desktop experience is AMAZING. I have struggled to get by so long with Classic and EZRemote on my Pre. I LOVE my new EVO 3D.

anon(377121)

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

The pre 3 looked beautiful, but after demoing this in the store I knew I had to have it. this is a great thread :D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante