EVO 3D Support Group For Palm webOS Users

sjamie

Grand Tech
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Are the Palm Pre car and AC (1 Ah output) adapters (microUSB) compatible with the Evo 3D? Just wondering about whether some of the old Palm accessories can be re-used for the Evo 3D. It's always nice to recycle if possible.

Yes, the Pre chargers and cables work perfectly! The only things that can't be "recycled" are the touchstones (unfortunately).

Reactions: doctorzeph

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Are the Palm Pre car and AC (1 Ah output) adapters (microUSB) compatible with the Evo 3D? Just wondering about whether some of the old Palm accessories can be re-used for the Evo 3D. It's always nice to recycle if possible.

I've been using my Pre wall charger with no issues since 6/25. I plugged my Pre car charger in and after 5 minutes I noticed my phone was getting pretty warm so I stopped using it. I've also used 2 Motorola SPN5400A car chargers with no heat issues. I would recommend monitoring any new/different chargers for any abnormal heat issues for the first 10 to 15 minutes.

doctorzeph

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I've been using my Pre wall charger with no issues since 6/25. I plugged my Pre car charger in and after 5 minutes I noticed my phone was getting pretty warm so I stopped using it. I've also used 2 Motorola SPN5400A car chargers with no heat issues. I would recommend monitoring any new/different chargers for any abnormal heat issues for the first 10 to 15 minutes.

Thanks for your replies sjamie and Wiley_11.

I'll heed your advice on the chargers.
I wonder why the car charger wouldn't be compatible since the output I believe should be the same (5V, 1.0A). At least you can get a new car charger for cheap.

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your replies sjamie and Wiley_11.

I'll heed your advice on the chargers.
I wonder why the car charger wouldn't be compatible since the output I believe should be the same (5V, 1.0A). At least you can get a new car charger for cheap.

I don't know if it's "my" charger that's at fault,it worked fine for running my Touch Stone in the car for a year and a half. I'm not going to use it on my new toy though! :)

sjamie

Grand Tech
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Was heat the only issue? Was your car charger actually charging the phone?

The specs of both car chargers are the same; therefore, there shouldn't be any problems.

Last edited:

eovnu87435ds

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Has anybody thought of hacking the induction coils from the pre backplate and popping them in a cheap evo 3d case? the coils produce a steady 5v dc, and if you attach wires from the contact terminals you can wire them in to the 3vo's usb port(if you're the warranty-voiding type) or to a micro usb head that plugs in to your 3vo. I definatley have the soldering/wiring talent, its the rest of the modifications I am a little weary about.

Although if anybody does it, POST PICS!

Also, all my palm chargers work. I haven't even used the htc charger at all yet! My car charger works fine. about a year ago the little white LED stopped working, but aside from that, it works great. charges my phone fine, and ive never seen any issues about overheating... check the usb cable you are using. if there is internal fraying/partial wire breaks, it can cause extra heat. that happened to my macbook charger before it caught fire

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Was heat the only issue? Was your car charger actually charging the phone?

The specs of both car chargers are the same; therefore, there shouldn't be any problems.

I just plugged in the Pre car charger again and it seems fine now, charging and no excessive heat. :confused:

Must have been a glitch. :D

doctorzeph

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I just plugged in the Pre car charger again and it seems fine now, charging and no excessive heat. :confused:

Must have been a glitch. :D

Good to know. I feel a lot safer about using my old Palm car charger.

Is it worth it to purchase one of these charging docks/cradles that HTC and Seidio produce? It really is too bad that the Touchstones are now paperweights for most of us. It would be cool to be able to get an induction plate for the Evo 3D though.

jeffbengr

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Has anybody thought of hacking the induction coils from the pre backplate and popping them in a cheap evo 3d case? the coils produce a steady 5v dc, and if you attach wires from the contact terminals you can wire them in to the 3vo's usb port(if you're the warranty-voiding type) or to a micro usb head that plugs in to your 3vo. I definatley have the soldering/wiring talent, its the rest of the modifications I am a little weary about.

Although if anybody does it, POST PICS!

Yes, they have. Google "use touchstone with evo 3d" (without the quotes of course).

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
What are key steps I need to take before deactivating my Pre and moving to the Evo 3D?
What can I still use on the Pre via Wi-Fi?

Thanks.

Sprint activated my E3D on 6/25 and I didn't do anything. I just checked my Pre and it still works on wifi. I would guess don't sign out of your Palm profile. Calls & texts won't work but internet,google maps,email still work on wifi. I think the E3D is an excellent choice, mine still amazes me everyday. Good luck on whatever you choose you won't be sorry. :D

JKTex

May 2, 2011
Visit site
And as of today, HP just justified me jumping ship.

Anybody waiting for the Pre 3 was a moron.

What did HP do today?

It was already doomed, no matter how good of a devise it may have been. Carriers have been resisting it, justifiably so I think. HP locked down the App "store" already, and have dragged their feet as well as has been getting beat down over all.

The may be about to strike a deal to sell of the PC business, which may be good, but may also be a sign they're realizing they can't be good at both consumer and commercial and PC's as a whole, shrinking market as it is, is getting handled by others just fine.

It's time they trim down and focus, but seeing sich a great OS go to virtual waste is a shame. I like the new Tablet, but no way in hell and I going to touch one with my own money.

JKTex

May 2, 2011
Visit site
They killed off the TouchPad.

What a WASTE of WebOS. Freakin' A.

Ya, I should have known. Reporting after hours and I was waiting until after hours to pay more attention. And dummy me, I was about to sell HP earlier and decided to wait to see what they had to say. I can't remember the also time that reported earnings and didn't have information leaked out during the day that skewed everything. Today was no different. Kill the Touchpad, Autonomy deal (which the market loved for about 15 minutes) lowered expectations and don't appear to have the PC spinoff baked in.....they're lost, again.

What a cluster they have been turned in to. And DA me takes a bigger bite in the butt thinking their conference call might have good news. :-\

Melaza

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Sad because it was a good OS :( , it would be nice if Google would buy it and integrate the best things of WebOS into Android... but with that said I'm still very happy with my Evo 3D!

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I hate to say I told them so! It's a sad day for all those suckers that were waiting and begging and pleading Sprint to carry the hp Fail 3 and the others who brought the Failpad. I'm glad that I got on that lifeboat the Evo 4g on day one and now the Evo 3D. :D

Reactions: Wiley_11