EVO 3D Support Group For Palm webOS Users

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
If you are new, Welcome to Android Central!

Here is an overview of Android Synergy, Cards, Notifications, Multitasking, Themes, Just Type, and more. See the Getting Started and the webOS Users Guide to Android for details.

Since you are on Sprint, here is How to Upgrade Your Sprint Phone Every Year. Also, Are you getting your Sprint 5-27% EVP Discount? Just ask. And here is, Airave: Get Great Sprint Reception in Your Home.

See the next post on how to Backup everything and transfer it over. Then buckle up for a fun ride!

? Multitasking - Android Multitasking automatically saves your work when you go to another app. You can start an email, respond to a text, open a web page, listen to music, and go right back where you left off in the email. Long-press Home to see your 8 Recent Apps.

? Cards - If you miss cards, try Perfect Task Switcher, Visual Task Switcher, Wave Launcher, Itching Thumb or launchers like LauncherPro.

? Keyboards: Physical keyboards help you type more. Predictive keyboards like SwiftKey help you type less. They learn how you think and suggest words you will most likely say next. Voice Actions tries to prevent typing.

? microSD: Keep your favorite movies, music, and photos with you. Key to Backups. 16 GB ~$26 - 32 GB ~$55 & 64GB

? HDMI: Standard HD output to show a presentation, photos, or movie. Adapter cables allow VGA or RCA out.

? DLNA: Standard wireless output to your newer Blue-ray, TV, etc.

? Synergy: Android syncs contacts, calendar, and Facebook together. To set up: tap Home > Menu > Settings > Accounts & Sync.

? Caller ID: Photo, status, name, and number pops up. Option: Decline with a text.

? Visual Voicemail: Play back messages like an MP3 with slider.

? Just Type: Tap Search and just type. See Search to customize and much more. You must first install Google Search from the Android Market.

? Voice Actions: Long-press Search and you can just talk instead. Again, first install Voice Search.

? Notifications take no room. Swipe down from the top. Executive Assistant lets you respond to notifications from the lock screen.

? Folders: PalmOS had folders but not webOS. Android brought Folders back. With all the apps, you will need them.

Key Apps
Here are a few more of the many Applications you may want to try.
? Go Contacts lets you dial a middle part of a name or number. For 202-456-1414, you can dial "456" or "1414".
? TouchPad Dialer can dial by initials. For instance, dial 2 for B, 6 for O for Barack Obama.
? Email: K-9 Mail is way better than the stock email app. Get Touchdown if you need Microsoft Exchange support.
? Messaging: Consider HandCent SMS or ChompSMS to replace the messaging app
? Internet: Consider Dolphin Browser HD or Opera Mini browser
? MyBackup Pro ($5) - Automatically backup messages, contacts, bookmarks, homescreens, alarms, dictionary, etc. Trial.
? Folder Organizer (free) - Sets up folders, change icons, and increase from 4x4 icons to 4x6 or even 5x6. See: Folders
? ASTRO File Manager : Install, run edit, & backup apps, etc. much like webOS Internalz
? Brightness Level - Set the brightness with two taps.

Widgets
A widget is a live app icon on a homescreen. webOS has one widget: the Calendar app icon updates to show the date. Widgets can take the space of a single app icon or multiple icons. See the General Tips & Tricks for how to use widgets to set up an amazing control panel. Beware: some widgets take a lot of battery power. Here are some great Widgets to get you started.

? Tajm - The amazing clock widget in words instead of numbers shown above.
4887d1292344409-getting-started-android-tips-tricks-battery-status-notification-widget.png
Battery Status (free, Upgraded $1) - Puts the real battery percentage in the Notification Bar.
attachment.php
The Weather Channel - Puts the temperature in the Notification bar.
? Speed Dial Widget: Folder Organizer (free), GO Contacts (iPhone theme), MeContacts, or QDial.
? Battery Left Widget - Estimates battery time left.
Today Widget - Day and date in a 1x1 widget. ($1 Pro version has color options)
? Curvefish: ? WiFi On-Off ? Bluetooth On-Off ? GPS On-Off
? Volume Button Controller ? All the volume levels in one place.

? Live Wallpaper is animated. The earth moves, clouds billow, stars tinkle, and fish swim. Practical uses include live GPS and weather maps.

Touch-to-Share is a subset of the features of Near Field Communication. Touch-to-Share transfers a website URL. NFC transfers a URL and adds 50 other key specs.

Have fun as you try out your new Android! Please share your questions and thoughts!

Note: This forum is for owners and those interested in this phone. If you prefer other phones, please post your comments in those forums. See the Forum Guidelines.

Reference
? webOS Users Guide to Android
? Android Getting Started
? Phone Comparison

Sprint References
? How to Upgrade Your Sprint Phone Every Year
? Are you getting your Sprint 5-27% EVP Discount?
? Airave: Get Great Sprint Reception in Your Home.

Resources
? Sprint Within Support Group For Palm webOS Users
? Photon Support Group For Palm webOS Users
? EVO 3D Support Group For Palm webOS Users
? Note that phones such as the Nexus S line do not come with all of the features listed here.

Last edited:

migs

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Best way to transfer contacts from Palm Pre

This is how to get you contacts from your Sprint Palm PRE. You can create a .vcf file to import into most email programs.
? Open phone dialer on PRE or Pixi
? Type ##66623#
? Click on Export
? This creates the export file (.vcf)?.The more contacts you have the longer it takes
? Connect your USB cable to the computer and also to the PRE when it prompts you too.
? Click on the USB Drive on your pre to mount to computer
? Once mounted on your computer, open windows explorer and the Palm PRE
? Find the folder called temp and open it (if you don't find a temp folder, open folder options/view/and choose show hidden files/ then OK)
? You will find a file called PmMigration (this is the vcf file)
? Drag to your documents folder on your computer (PRE Backup folder) if you have one
? Use this file to import your contacts into Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail or Outlook
? When you?re done Eject your Palm pre or safely remove hardware and then disconnect pre
? Your done?.

Karlzweb

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
You can also do it with the bluetooth option on your Evo to import them as well. Just select other as your phone and it will import them. I have not looked at all the fields to make sure the loaded, but all the contacts were there.

destroyosaur

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
This was very helpful. My pre's bluetooth stopped working, along with sound, etc several months ago (could only text or talk to people on speaker phone). Also, first post.

jjrausch

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
This is how to get you contacts from your Sprint Palm PRE. You can create a .vcf file to import into most email programs.
? Open phone dialer on PRE or Pixi
? Type ##66623#
? Click on Export
? This creates the export file (.vcf)?.The more contacts you have the longer it takes
? Connect your USB cable to the computer and also to the PRE when it prompts you too.
? Click on the USB Drive on your pre to mount to computer
? Once mounted on your computer, open windows explorer and the Palm PRE
? Find the folder called temp and open it (if you don't find a temp folder, open folder options/view/and choose show hidden files/ then OK)
? You will find a file called PmMigration (this is the vcf file)
? Drag to your documents folder on your computer (PRE Backup folder) if you have one
? Use this file to import your contacts into Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail or Outlook
? When you?re done Eject your Palm pre or safely remove hardware and then disconnect pre
? Your done?.
Great post, also much easier, just sink all you contacts with Google, if you ever loose your phone, you still have them. That is for those with out fear of clouds ;-)

patchs

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure since I got my Pre 2 years ago that all my contacts were with Google but just to be sure, I'll try the Bluetooth method first.

VickMackey#AC

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: Support Group For Palm webOS Users

My name is Vick and I am a recovering webOs user...

webOS had a great opportunity with such a rabid base, but Palm/HP blew it. Ex Pre users aren't just disappointed, they are BITTTERRR, they not only recommend other devices, they badmouth and steer people away from future HP devices. A shame really.

Last edited:

saiks

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site

webOS was good but damn android is nice... Plenty of apps and HTC great product. Thank you. Now i don't have to worry about dial keys/buttons freezing and locking up.

I missed a lot these past couple of years and i am going to recover

xcrico

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

Was waiting on a Palm phone for Sprint. Didn't happen. Got my EVO 3D and it is awesome!

patchs

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

I CAN USE MY SLINGBOX AGAIN!!!!!!
My old AV works well with the Evo 3D, it's like a flatscreen TV.
It's been like Christmas today, MLB At Bat, the latest version of Angry Birds Seasons, BBC, great apps.
I'm not looking back.
I LOVE this baby Evo 3D!

oneill590

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

For months/years I've argued relentlessly with avid iPhone and Droid users. Trying my very best to convince them on how awesome webos actually is. However, to no avail. Hardly any software upgrade, unreliable hardware, a scarce app market, for heaven sake they even refuse to give us flash. Now, the ship is sinking. Alas, a life line was thrown out to me. Who could it be? None other than HTC EVO 3D. As I'm being rescued, carried off to saftey. I can't help but look back. With tear filled eyes. I'll miss you palm pre :-(.

Last edited:

majestros

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

Does anyone know of an App that works like Spotlight on the Mac or the "Universal Search" function of the Pre? I'm finding that I really miss that.

Also, any way to bring up the text keyboard in the phone app instead of having to use the number pad to enter names to call?

Is Gmail permanently separate from all my other email accounts? or do I need to set it up as POP/IMAP in the Mail app if I wish it to be in the same place as my other email?

Any way to copy SMS messages/Tasks/Memos from the Pre to the EVO 3D?

Thank in advance for any help/tips!

Reactions: drbillingsdc

dvkim

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

IMHO the HP acquisition of Palm, although it made all the big fish investors (who made a bad investment decision) whole. Was the worst thing that could have happened for web os users.

daikon

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

Hello Everyone,

I am about to make the switch as well and have a wierd problem. I made an email account, put it on my Pre -, and then forgot the password. I would like to have that account on Evo 3D but I can not recover the password at all. (I misstyped my recovery email...twice....i know...lol)

Is there any way to "unhide" the passwords for email accounts on the palm pre? If not, when I switch phones, I will lose access to that email as that phone is the only place I have the password stored.

Any help would be apreciated..:'(

Gstringbass

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

hello, my name is George and I'm a recovering webos user! I enjoyed webos quite a bit for maybe the first year I had it. Recently my pre- has become the bane of my existence. The phone no longer displayed notifications so I had to constantly check everything, and the app store was a joke. The only thing I wish I could still have is the card view, it made multitasking so easy and natural. I don't really understand how to multitask on android yet but I'm sure I will figure it out. Anyways, the evo 3d is amazing and I'm never going back to that company with their below standard hardware and way to small user base. I look forward to the change from precentral to androidcentral. Lots of love for those guys they did a great job

willrusso

May 20, 2011
Visit site
So what do you Palm Pre converts think about the EVO3D so far??

Initial thoughts / impressions?
I purchased the original pre on launch day and loved it. That love was short lived because the darn thing kept breaking! I went through 5 pres in all.

Fast forward a year and I jumped ship to the original EVO 4G and never looked back. I was so overwhelmed by what the phone could do! I think I was brainwashed by "the other site". As time went on, the apps and updates got better and better.

Today I went to the sprint store and traded in my original EVO for $150 bucks and got my shiny new EVO3D for $50. I don't think i could ever go back to webOS. What good is a smartphone when there are no good apps to run on it?

Anyways, enough about me...what do all you guys and gals who switched think of the phone so far?

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk

FunkHouse5

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: So what do you Palm Pre converts think about the EVO3D so far

Same here with the day 1 Sprint Palm Pre adapter. After the 02/09 announcement by HPalm, I affectionately called it Palm Pre Minus FAIL. Then it became an arms race between the next HTC EVO device (hence now, EVO 3D) or the HPalm Pre3. With still no signs of the Pre3 coming to Sprint, or any incentive to stay (remember the special incentive that was supposed to be given to Pre legacy owners?) with HPalm, it was time to try Android with the EVO 3D.

I've had the EVO 3D since last Wednesday. Yes, there's LOTS of things I'm discovering in what it can do, but from what I've experienced so far it totally mind blowing! What's impressed me the most so far is being able to utilize different apps (i.e, writing a text message, then being able to copy/paste a link from the web onto the text with ease). This one in its own rite can multi task, which is one thing webOS did well.

I plan to write more with things that I've discovered, and will gather input from the experienced should issues come up. But so far, moving forward at break neck speed.

dtice03

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: So what do you Palm Pre converts think about the EVO3D so far

Yep, coming from a Pre minus too and all I can say is that if WebOS were on this phone............man...........but it's not so I'll just enjoy learning a new OS :D

icmfal

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site

Former WebOS / Original Pre Owner. HP/Palm is missing out on a great market with what could have been a great OS. That said.. I picked up my EVO 3D first thing yesterday morning and am not looking back.

My dying Palm left to the EVO 3D its chargers as now they are all micro USB and are working just fine.

For all the WebOS diehards - they just need to move on. Android is pretty good and this phone moves much smoother than my Palm ever did.

I am still making my way around this phone and finding things (but.. where in the heck is the COMPASS???)

The biggest habits i have to break? - trying to slide out the keyboard when typing and SWIPING!!!