EVO 3D (pics and video) on PS3 HOWTO

amishcrusader

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I assume you already have a 3D Capable TV, a PS3 connected with HDMI, and have brought home an Evo 3D today, or will soon enough.

Picture Viewing
=====================

First, from the PS3, make sure you have the latest version of PlayMemories, a 3D picture viewer. If you don't already have this, go to the Playstation store and download. I think it's under the games > media category, it's been awhile so I don't remember. If all else fails use the search -- It's a free download.

After downloading and installing, the program has an options button. I prefer to set it for 720p / 60 fps instead of the 1080p / 30 fps (highly jerky for some reason). See what you like better. There are sample pics of both 3D and 2D.

So you have taken some 3D pics and are anxious to see what they look like on the big screen, connect your Evo 3D to the PS3 via USB cable. Drop down your notification bar, and it should say Charge Only. Underneath it says 'click to change USB type', do so, and pick "Mount as Disk drive" and click DONE.

Now your PS3 can detect your Evo 3D. (I tried using Media sharing/DLNA, it would only see the sample 2D pics for some reason.) Fire up the PlayMemories program under Pictures, and choose import. It should have the Evo 3D listed now, the folder we want will be purple, named "Digital Camera Photos", and when selected will allow you to import everything. Be sure to follow the instructions on each photo, you may have to hit square to turn on the 3D feature of some photos, or hit triangle if it warns you about eye straining parallax.

Movies
=====================

Follow the instructions for making your Evo a USB drive if it isn't already, and under Video on the XMB highlight the Evo and hit the TRIANGLE button. Choose select all, and go to DCIM and then your media folder. Your videos will be there, hit the triangle button and copy them to the PS3, they will now show up under the Video on XMB.

I have a Sony Bravia, so these instructions may not pertain to you. On the TV remote, I hit Options, turned 3D on, and changed the type to side by side. Play the movie. Awesome.

Enjoy!

/AmishCrusader

tpgross

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same problem with Media Share and the Sony XBR Bravia. The connection works fine but it will only show 2D pictures. Sprint is clueless as to why this is a problem and suggested that the data flow for 3D might be too high for the Media Share application to handle 3D. I ordered the MHL cable adapter to try a direct connection and am waiting for the cable. But the PS3 work-around sounds great, and will give it a try. Thanks for posting this. I am curious if anyone else is having the Media Share problem.

amishcrusader

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same problem with Media Share and the Sony XBR Bravia. The connection works fine but it will only show 2D pictures. Sprint is clueless as to why this is a problem and suggested that the data flow for 3D might be too high for the Media Share application to handle 3D. I ordered the MHL cable adapter to try a direct connection and am waiting for the cable. But the PS3 work-around sounds great, and will give it a try. Thanks for posting this. I am curious if anyone else is having the Media Share problem.
Sounds like the Sprint rep was just speculating regarding your DLNA issue, and the reason I say that is because I have an old 3wire 802.11b DSL modem supplying my home network right now, everything is wireless. My quad core doesn't break a sweat when sharing things hardwired via PS3 media server, but will buffer and choke when using the wireless, of course. The main thing is that it will *try*. 3D movies copied to a shared movie folder will choke and buffer but an image will eventually make it to the screen :)

I really don't know what the DLNA problem is, but it is firmware related or permissions related or they simply only set the 2D sample folder for sharing by mistake. The 3D pics/video folder doesn't even show up in your media server share in the crossbar.

tpgross

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
So I tried your work-around with the PS3 and it works fine for the photos. But no video, either 2D or 3D. Any thoughts about that? It seems that PlayMemories is set up only for photos and not video.

tpgross

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
The only way I have been able to get 3D videos on the Sprint 3D Evo to play on my Sony Bravia 3D set is by use of a hard wire. I got the connector that plugs into the phone and has an HDMI cable input and an input for the power cord so the phone stays powered while showing your videos. Connect the other end of the HDMI to the TV and the phone screen appears, i.e., whatever is on the Evo screen now appears on the TV screen. Launch the video, e.g., Green Hornet, and it comes up on the TV immediately. The sound is great, 3D picture is great. 3D pictures also come up. The only problem is that there is no remote to pause/run/stop the show without going up to the phone and taking action on the phone itself. This is not a problem if you are watching a full length film like Green Hornet. But if you have taken a series of short 3D films of family, sports, picnics, etc, you have to go back to the phone to launch the next clip. As least to date, I have not found a way to run all the film clips in one continuous sequence other than burning them onto a disc and playing it on the Sony PS3 (which works great, by the way). Good luck.

enthuz

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
The only problem is that there is no remote to pause/run/stop the show without going up to the phone and taking action on the phone itself. This is not a problem if you are watching a full length film like Green Hornet. But if you have taken a series of short 3D films of family, sports, picnics, etc, you have to go back to the phone to launch the next clip.

May be a good case for a BT keyboard mouse for the phone. I use a Logitech set for my laptop when connected to my TV.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca