Results 1 to 21 of 21
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Verdes8891
  • 1 Post By wirelessness#AC
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default What is the Best EVO Contacts Sync Program - Free or Cheap

    I just want to get my contacts on my new phone. Apparently HTC Sync doesn't work with Office x64, so just wondering what's the best sync program for the EVO. If it syncs music etc... too that's fine.

    If I'm going to need a sync program for my contacts so I guess I'm willing to pay a little for something that will handle all my syncing. But really I just want a quick way to get my contacts on my phone. I'm a total newbie and haven't even installed a single program on an Android phone.
  2. #2  

    Default

    Why not just sync them with your gmail account? Its free.

    Sent from my Inspiration
    Personal: Sprint Galaxy Nexus LTE, Nexus 7 16gb tablet



    If i have helped you, please hit the Thanks or Like button below!
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: What is the Best EVO Contacts Sync Program - Free or Cheap

    Quote Originally Posted by Verdes8891 View Post
    Why not just sync them with your gmail account? Its free.

    Sent from my Inspiration
    Because I don't have them in my Gmail account and I'm not too comfortable with having all my contact info on Google servers.
  4. #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Led_Zappa View Post
    Because I don't have them in my Gmail account and I'm not too comfortable with having all my contact info on Google servers.
    Just out of curiosity why not?

    Sent from my Inspiration
    Personal: Sprint Galaxy Nexus LTE, Nexus 7 16gb tablet



    If i have helped you, please hit the Thanks or Like button below!
    JesusHernandez likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: What is the Best EVO Contacts Sync Program - Free or Cheap

    Quote Originally Posted by Verdes8891 View Post
    Just out of curiosity why not?

    Sent from my Inspiration
    Like I said. I'm a newbie, but with my Iphone sync'd to Outlook I had all my info on my Iphone including some info I'm sure some people would not want on the internet. I also don't think some of my contacts would appreciate me putting their address and phone number on the internet. Everybody get's hacked these days. I just don't think it's good practice.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: What is the Best EVO Contacts Sync Program - Free or Cheap

    Understandable. But most of the time you are syncing your information somewhere, it is getting on the internet one way or the other. Whether it is by your hands or someone elses. Some things you could do instead on backing them up to gmail is you can back them up on your SD card on your phone. I have not tried anything else myself. I just put them on my gmail. But, i can see what you mean.
    Personal: Sprint Galaxy Nexus LTE, Nexus 7 16gb tablet



    If i have helped you, please hit the Thanks or Like button below!
  7. #7  
    bnrbranding's Avatar

    Posts
    187 Posts
    ROM
    Stock 3D, CM 7.1

    Default Re: What is the Best EVO Contacts Sync Program - Free or Cheap

    Honestly, the info is no less safe in your gmail account than anywhere else. If they have a cell phone, facebook account, or email address, it's not going to make much difference. It is already out there. It also happens to be by far the best way to manage, backup, and transfer contact on android.

    Just use a complex password (google how to make one you can remember) and you are pretty safe. Much safer than handing your credit card over to a stranger in a store or restaurant.
  8. #8  
    JKTex's Avatar

    Posts
    97 Posts
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts

    Default Re: What is the Best EVO Contacts Sync Program - Free or Cheap

    I agree with using Google, I actually moved to using Google to manage all my contacts.

    But if not, can't you export them as vcard, then import them?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: What is the Best EVO Contacts Sync Program - Free or Cheap

    Quote Originally Posted by JKTex View Post
    I agree with using Google, I actually moved to using Google to manage all my contacts.

    But if not, can't you export them as vcard, then import them?
    That's a lot of work considering I have close to 1000 contacts lol.


    I've resolved my issue. As I have technet I downloaded the x86 version of office, uninstalled the 64bit and installed x86. All contacts are on my phone now.

    YEAH!!!
  10. #10  
    jswinde's Avatar
    Grand Tech

    Posts
    490 Posts

    Default Re: What is the Best EVO Contacts Sync Program - Free or Cheap

    Quote Originally Posted by Led_Zappa View Post
    That's a lot of work considering I have close to 1000 contacts lol.


    I've resolved my issue. As I have technet I downloaded the x86 version of office, uninstalled the 64bit and installed x86. All contacts are on my phone now.

    YEAH!!!
    So HTC Sync Sense works well with 32-bit Office and synced your 1000 contacts flawlessly?
  11. #11  

    Default Re: What is the Best EVO Contacts Sync Program - Free or Cheap

    Quote Originally Posted by Led_Zappa View Post
    That's a lot of work considering I have close to 1000 contacts lol.


    I've resolved my issue. As I have technet I downloaded the x86 version of office, uninstalled the 64bit and installed x86. All contacts are on my phone now.

    YEAH!!!
    can you give a bit more details on ho wyou did this?
    "月に代わって... ~ おしおきよぅ!" - 月野うさぎ!
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default Re: What is the Best EVO Contacts Sync Program - Free or Cheap

    Quote Originally Posted by sjamie View Post
    So HTC Sync Sense works well with 32-bit Office and synced your 1000 contacts flawlessly?
    As best as I can tell, yes. Facebook also found and allowed me to link them.
    Last edited by Led_Zappa; 06-28-2011 at 06:50 PM.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Smile Re: What is the Best EVO Contacts Sync Program - Free or Cheap

    Quote Originally Posted by daikon View Post
    can you give a bit more details on ho wyou did this?
    I'm not quite sure what your asking.

    I have Windows 7 64Bit

    I had Office 2010 64Bit installed

    I downloaded the sync program from the HTC 4G site here

    The install took a couple reboots of my system to allow my phone to find the program on my PC for some reason. At first the phone was saying it couldn't find a sync program on my PC. Not sure if everyone will have this issue.

    Once my phone did find the program on my PC and I tried to sync I kept getting a message saying "no default email client can be found. After some Googling I found that Office 2010 64Bit does not work with HTC Sync, But the x86 version would.

    So I uninstalled the 64Bit version of Office and installed the x86 version and it worked. I feel fortunate that I have access to the x86 version without having to resort to less than legal means to get it.
    Thanked by:
    daikon 
  14. #14  

    Default Re: What is the Best EVO Contacts Sync Program - Free or Cheap

    Ok so im new to android and would like to sync my contacts to Google, how do i go about doing that or does it do it automagically or what? Thanks in advance.

    Never mind went to gmail and was clicking on stuff and found all my contacts sorry for being ignorant.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: What is the Best EVO Contacts Sync Program - Free or Cheap

    Quote Originally Posted by Led_Zappa View Post
    I'm not quite sure what your asking.

    I have Windows 7 64Bit

    I had Office 2010 64Bit installed

    I downloaded the sync program from the HTC 4G site here

    The install took a couple reboots of my system to allow my phone to find the program on my PC for some reason. At first the phone was saying it couldn't find a sync program on my PC. Not sure if everyone will have this issue.

    Once my phone did find the program on my PC and I tried to sync I kept getting a message saying "no default email client can be found. After some Googling I found that Office 2010 64Bit does not work with HTC Sync, But the x86 version would.

    So I uninstalled the 64Bit version of Office and installed the x86 version and it worked. I feel fortunate that I have access to the x86 version without having to resort to less than legal means to get it.
    That is very helpfull! Thank you! I am happy that I have the x86 version!

    So the program works with the 3D even though it is for the 4G?

    Also is there anything I need to know about using outlook with office? I have never used outlook though it is there...

    Can I simply import the contacts into outlook without configuring it/ adding any email accounts to it, then sync the contacts with this program to the 3D?

    Also with this method make it so my contacts do not conflict with my facebook or any gmail contacts that I have ( I read that some people had doubles and triples that would not link automatically or that when they would text, contact numbers would be send too )

    THANK YOU!!!
    "月に代わって... ~ おしおきよぅ!" - 月野うさぎ!
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

    Default Re: What is the Best EVO Contacts Sync Program - Free or Cheap

    Quote Originally Posted by daikon View Post
    That is very helpfull! Thank you! I am happy that I have the x86 version!

    So the program works with the 3D even though it is for the 4G?
    Yes

    Also is there anything I need to know about using outlook with office? I have never used outlook though it is there...

    Can I simply import the contacts into outlook without configuring it/ adding any email accounts to it, then sync the contacts with this program to the 3D?
    Not sure what your trying to do. Import contacts from where and why would you do this? I have used outlook for years so all my contacts are there. I've gone through 4 phones that all sync with outlook, so I've never had to worry about losing my phone or transferring contacts when I get a new phone. I also have used it for pop mail because I like having my own local copy of my emails correspondence and the interface vs web interface, though web interfaces have matured a lot since I started using outlook.

    Also with this method make it so my contacts do not conflict with my facebook or any gmail contacts that I have ( I read that some people had doubles and triples that would not link automatically or that when they would text, contact numbers would be send too )

    THANK YOU!!!
    I don't know about duplicates. The online contacts such as Facebook were there, but I was asked if I wanted to link them to my contacts from outlook, which I did.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: What is the Best EVO Contacts Sync Program - Free or Cheap

    Quote Originally Posted by Led_Zappa View Post

    Not sure what your trying to do. Import contacts from where and why would you do this? I have used outlook for years so all my contacts are there. I've gone through 4 phones that all sync with outlook, so I've never had to worry about losing my phone or transferring contacts when I get a new phone. I also have used it for pop mail because I like having my own local copy of my emails correspondence and the interface vs web interface, though web interfaces have matured a lot since I started using outlook.
    I am trying to import my contacts from my palm pre to (I guess) outlook, even though I have never used outlook, so I can import them on my Evo 3d.

    What I am trying to do is transfer my contacts over the best way possible without exposing my contacts to "the cloud." I feel their privacy is not something I have the right to risk.



    Quote Originally Posted by Led_Zappa View Post
    I don't know about duplicates. The online contacts such as Facebook were there, but I was asked if I wanted to link them to my contacts from outlook, which I did.
    Thank you
    "月に代わって... ~ おしおきよぅ!" - 月野うさぎ!
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

    Default Re: What is the Best EVO Contacts Sync Program - Free or Cheap

    Quote Originally Posted by daikon View Post
    I am trying to import my contacts from my palm pre to (I guess) outlook, even though I have never used outlook, so I can import them on my Evo 3d.

    What I am trying to do is transfer my contacts over the best way possible without exposing my contacts to "the cloud." I feel their privacy is not something I have the right to risk.





    Thank you
    The palm should have software that will sync with Outlook. I would look into that first. You can import into outlook without setting up an email account. If it tries to force an email account on you, just use fake info.

    Once you get them imported from your palm, you can use the HTC sync program with no problems. At least I didn't have any once I had the x86 version of Outlook
    Thanked by:
    daikon 
  19. #19  

    Default Re: What is the Best EVO Contacts Sync Program - Free or Cheap

    Cut the Cord!!!

    Just export Lookout Contacts to a .csv file and import them into Google Contacts. Never create another contact in Lookout or in the phones local database. Always create them as Google Contacts and your contacts will be available on any web browser.

    An email address is NOT sensitive and neither is phone number. If you have some really sensitive contact information then you should be encrypting it in a text or .csv file using ES Explorer at a minimum. Having that stuff synced to your phone so someone can pick it up when you are not looking is WAY more of a risk than storing it on a Google Server. For that matter unless you are an expert your information is probably safer stored on a Google Server or Drop Box type service than on your home PC.
    Djblue likes this.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

    Default Re: What is the Best EVO Contacts Sync Program - Free or Cheap

    Quote Originally Posted by wirelessness View Post
    Cut the Cord!!!

    Just export Lookout Contacts to a .csv file and import them into Google Contacts. Never create another contact in Lookout or in the phones local database. Always create them as Google Contacts and your contacts will be available on any web browser.

    An email address is NOT sensitive and neither is phone number. If you have some really sensitive contact information then you should be encrypting it in a text or .csv file using ES Explorer at a minimum. Having that stuff synced to your phone so someone can pick it up when you are not looking is WAY more of a risk than storing it on a Google Server. For that matter unless you are an expert your information is probably safer stored on a Google Server or Drop Box type service than on your home PC.
    You are incorrect sir. But thanks for your inaccurate and arrogant response.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: What is the Best EVO Contacts Sync Program - Free or Cheap

    Quote Originally Posted by Led_Zappa View Post
    You are incorrect sir. But thanks for your inaccurate and arrogant response.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to sound arrogant.

    Which part is inaccurate though? The fact is if you have information that is so sensitive it doesn't belong on a mobile phone in the first place and if you are keeping it on a PC you better be taking some safeguards which it doesn't sound like you are.

    You can't just throw out 'I don't think it's a good practice' in regards to using Google Contacts and not expect someone to question that comment. The fact is unless you are taking ALOT of precautions your data is safer in the cloud than on your PC or your mobile device.

    Now if you are using pgp with encrypted volumes and have a multilayer firewall with IPS and network layer authentication then I apologize. Until then it's probably best to not use terms like 'good practice'.
    Last edited by wirelessness; 06-29-2011 at 01:42 PM. Reason: typo

Posting Permissions

B