Woke up and phone is extremely hot and no SD Card recognition

jheiii

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone,

This morning I went to grab my phone and felt it was extremely hot! The screen and all buttons were not responding. Turned it off, pulled battery, and started it back up. Went to Gallery and it says no SD card found. Turned it off again, pulled the battery, pulled the SD card out and put it back in, then started it back up. Went to Gallery and it still says no SD card found.

Any ideas?

Called Sprint and they were useless, said I have to go into the store and with my work schedule that isn't happening until Friday. Thanks for the help!!

Joseph

Djblue

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
I have 3 suggestions:
1) Leave the battery out for a while, maybe like one hour
2) Hard reset if that didn't work
3) Terrorists rigged your phone so go get it replaced and...........:eek:RUN!!!

jrojas12

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
i'm on my second EVO 3D, the first one overheated and died. When I talked to sprint they said this was a recurring issue.

No problems so far with my second device

jheiii

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Interesting... I'm trying the hard reset now and will report back. If no change, going to Sprint at lunch.

Last edited:

jheiii

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Hard reset done. SD card still not being recognized.

Tried putting my SD card in a friend's Evo 4G and the SD card is not being recognized there either.

:eek: This officially sucks. The SD card I'm using is an 8GB I took out of my blackberry with all my pictures from Germany and grandfather's 90th birthday... now they're all gone it seems.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Not good. Its a hard lesson learned.
I ended up getting a 500GB hard drive and backing up all my SD card conternt thre in a temporary folder. About once a month i create a new back up and after a few months delete an old one.

I also do this anytime i switch devices or do any major changes.

jheiii

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Definitely a lesson learned. My concern is what caused it. Friend of mine just mentioned an anti virus for these phones? This is my first android phone so it's a rude awakening to say the least.

Still have no clue what caused this in the first place.

njchris

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried to put that card directly into your computer? (not sure what your setup is so you may need a USB adapter or something)

jheiii

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried to put that card directly into your computer? (not sure what your setup is so you may need a USB adapter or something)

No, that is the one thing I have not tried yet. Don't have a SD card reader handy here at the office. When I go to Sprint in about an hour, I'm going to have them check that as well.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
If the pics are that important to you i would try to google recovering a micro SD card. Or some variant of that.
My guess is excessive heat casued it to go dumb. But its not the first time i have heard of this happening with an Android / HTC device. Could be an app that was trying to access info on the card or perhaps just got stuck running the processor all night and it got super heated.
Could have also been a formatting issue. Anytime i use a cross platform memory card i copy its contents to my HD, then format the card in my android phone, then copy it back. This way i know the card has been properly formated.

Reactions: jheiii

jheiii

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
I just got back from Sprint. They were not able to fix anything. Sprint rep even took the 8GB card out of my Blackberry and put it in to my Evo3D and said "here is your solution." Not only was I in disbelief about the fact that she would take a card out of another phone to consider it solved, but she then went on to say that it's a "known issue that these phones can overheat and sorry for the inconvenience."

Pathetic support.

-----------------
IAmSixNine: Yeah, it sounds like excessive heat caused it to go dumb, that is just mind boggling to me. How can you trust a device that will out of nowhere fry your SD memory card?

Going to try recovery software this evening and reformat the card as you mentioned for the Evo3D.

Djblue

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
I just got back from Sprint. They were not able to fix anything. Sprint rep even took the 8GB card out of my Blackberry and put it in to my Evo3D and said "here is your solution." Not only was I in disbelief about the fact that she would take a card out of another phone to consider it solved, but she then went on to say that it's a "known issue that these phones can overheat and sorry for the inconvenience."

Pathetic support.

-----------------
IAmSixNine: Yeah, it sounds like excessive heat caused it to go dumb, that is just mind boggling to me. How can you trust a device that will out of nowhere fry your SD memory card?

Going to try recovery software this evening and reformat the card as you mentioned for the Evo3D.

You should demand a new phone since you are still within the 30 day period, and also say that you know of many other people who have the phone and don't have this problem.

The phone shouldn't be overheating and definitely sounds like a defect.....Good Luck finding a fix.

TrueDrooid

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like you left the phone under a pillow or under your covers, maybe even 4G on (making sweet love to an EVO3D can make ppl do things) Being that the sd card no longer is under the battery as the previous Evo4G was it would mean that there was serious heat brewing.

I know with the camera app in camera mode the screen will take forever to shut off as opposed to the phone being in any other program

jheiii

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you left the phone under a pillow or under your covers, maybe even 4G on (making sweet love to an EVO3D can make ppl do things) Being that the sd card no longer is under the battery as the previous Evo4G was it would mean that there was serious heat brewing.

I know with the camera app in camera mode the screen will take forever to shut off as opposed to the phone being in any other program

Whoa. You are so on point it's not even funny. 4G was on, wireless was on, GPS was on, mobile network was on, bluetooth was off.

1) Yes, the phone was laying on top of my sheets as I was using it before I fell asleep.

2) I was trying to use the camera with different settings to take pictures of my TV without glare and it was freezing up, may have left that application open. Fell asleep shortly after that and don't remember if that application closes successfully or not. I do remember locking the phone before I went to sleep though... that application may have stayed running in the background.

Last edited:

enthuz

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site

That happened to my wife's phone. She had it laying on her Snuggie and it got hot to the touch. She now puts it on the nightstand and has not had it overheat since.