Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Worth it to upgrade from an EVO 4G?

Title says it all, is there that much of an improvement upgrading to the 3D?

Default Re: Worth it to upgrade from an EVO 4G?

Huge improvement. Speed, battery life, screen. Went yesterday 16hours on battery with 2hr 26m screen on, 26m phone calls, 15m internet browsing, and texting through out the day. Was down to 40% at night when I charged it. Higher resolution makes things look better versus the standard evo which gave the feelings things were stretched out to me.

Yeah I just made the upgrade, didn't think it would be big upgrade, but it was worth it. Much much snappier and better battery life

The battery life has been a huge difference! That alone makes it worth while, the 3d was much better than I expected, the screen is noticably brighter and more crisp. Make the switch, you won't regret it.

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Agreed with the above posts.

The battery life difference is drastic enough on its own to want to change.

My sisters and mom all have the OG Evo and they want to switch because they see how often I DONT have to charge it. It's great.

I just got mine yesterday and I think its cool, but I dont think its a huge step over the 4G. Maybe I havent played with it enough yet?

Great phone so far though, just not blown away by it coming from a rooted/romd/overclocked 4g. maybe if I came from a crappy phone it would be more noticable.

I was a bit concerned that it wouldn't be a huge jump but it really has. I'm a very heavy user and log about 5k minutes a month amongst everything else from tethering to navigation as I travel all over the US nonstop.

Yeah, its an awesome upgrade. The battery was literally made from unicorn tears and lasts all day no matter how much try to kill it or how poor my signal is. Only way I've been able to kill it is by watching dvix movies on it on my flights across country. New screen format makes them awesome btw.

Sense 3 is just a huge jump. The widgets, the speed, the MUCH deeper integration into my exchange gal. It's just great. It's time to recognise that sense is reaaally owning the competition. We tend to think that anything non Google ontop of asop is weak like touchwiz or blur...but really its one of the biggest highlights. Also HTC is doing that much more with HTC hub and open sense.

3d stuff is cool, don't be fooled. It's fun and the 3d camera is really bad ***. Camera quality is just ok in low light though. Cellphone pics are for capturing a fun moment to share with friends. Doing that in 3d is that much more fun. Camera button is great.

Global Posts
    594 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock SGSIIE4GT

if your eligible for a full 150 upgrade, trade in your evo, youll only pay 50 bucks for the 3D

Yes, it certainly is.

Quote Originally Posted by Paterick View Post
    Title says it all, is there that much of an improvement upgrading to the 3D?
    Definitely
    Inspector Gadget

Global Posts
    2,058 Global Posts
    ROM
    "Kit-Kat" 4.2.2 Stock

Quote Originally Posted by NxTech3 View Post
    if your eligible for a full 150 upgrade, trade in your evo, youll only pay 50 bucks for the 3D
    This is what I did. Well worth it.
    --Inspector Gadget

Palm OS:Palm V / Palm IIIc / Visor Prism / Visor Phone / Treo 270 / Treo 600 / Treo 650
    Windows Mobile: Treo 700wx / HTC Touch Diamond
    WebOS: Palm Pre
    Android: HTC EVO 4G / HTC EVO 3D / Motorola Xoom / My Daily Drivers: Nexus 7 / Nexus 10 / Nexus 5

Flossy Carter say it's worth it and it's a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    This is what I did. Well worth it.
    I though the 150$ was off the retail price which makes it 199, same as new contract price? Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by mike44pl View Post
    I though the 150$ was off the retail price which makes it 199, same as new contract price? Am I wrong?
    You are wrong.

Net cost to upgrade was $50 and some tax.

It was well worth a $50 upgrade charge.

The upgrade credit is $150, but Sprint will buy back your EVO 4G for $150, also.

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    You are wrong.

Net cost to upgrade was $50 and some tax.

It was well worth a $50 upgrade charge.

I'm a Gold Premier customer and was quoted $130 to re-up for two years. How did you get it for $50?

Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 on the Nook Color

Has anyone tried SAMS club to see what the discount would be above and beyond the price of $199?

Otherwise I'm going with and selling my rooted Evo 4G on craigslist.
    Rockin' the Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note II & the Hisense Sero 7 Pro!

ROM
    Stock

I'm still not sure the upgrade is worth it or if I would rather go back to the Evo (I kept mine). Jury is still out. I'm enjoying it, but there are quirks and bugs, and I miss root. If they fix stuff, and unlock it so root is available, and do that within my 30 days. Otherwise, it's going back to Radio Shack and I'll enjoy my Evo until the next big thing.

Traded my ns4g in and this phone beats it hands down

If youre coming from stock Evo then it's probably a worthy upgrade if you were to get it for 199 or less. I wouldn't pay full retail for it. However if you are rooted and already using Cynogen and other custom roms then I think you win some and you lose some. My Evo 4g was rooted with cyanogen mod and it was faster than stock Evo4g. Also everything is working on it including being able to customize the quick drop down shortcuts and all my apps worked on it. The E3d for me is a slight upgrade for now until it gets rooted and able to use custom roms. Some of my apps either dont work or are does not fill the screen due to the different resolution of the Evo3d. But it is a faster device and do love the 3d feature along with the nicer screen. I have experienced some lock ups already and scrolling isnt as smooth as I expected. I was hoping it to be more iphone like smooth. I do hope that when it gets rooted and with custom roms it will be. I'm still open to waiting for other device like the samsung s2. This is my opinion anyhow...

Global Posts
    211 Global Posts

For $50, I'd say it's a good upgrade. Better battery life, huge speed improvements and Sense 3.0 is much better. The 3D isn't a major selling point for me, but I'm enjoying watching movies in 3D and showing my friends this feature.

I'm sure the quirks will be worked out eventually just like with the original EVO 4G which I've had since launch (does anybody remember the capacitive issues at the top of the screen?!?)

The only thing I've noticed is that I don't have the major excitement that I usually do with a new gadget. I haven't spent hours and hours playing with it and discovering it because other than the spec bumps and 3D, it almost feels like the exact phone.

i am in the same boat as you, and I am eligible for 199 upgrade.

However I decided it's NOT worth it to upgrade just yet, not at least until I see Galaxy S2 in person to make sure.

And this is coming from a major HTC / EVO 4G fan.

I would highly recommend rooting your phone (if you haven't), and flashed one of the newer rom to your 4G, the ones with Ginger and Sense 2.1+3.0 features.

Things like the 3.0 lockscreen and the carosuel are all ported to 4G already. Flashing those would make your EVO4G phone like new, and extend the lifetime. I know I fell in love with it again after flashing new rom.

I am also a big SENSE fans, but felt the 3.0 is too much flash and not enough substance. To kind gauge whether I can live WITHOUT sense, I just flashed Cyanogen 7.1 as well, and to my surprise I don't miss sense as much as I thought I would.

And the phone is also much faster in CM than in Sense3.0 (which frankly is a little bloated for the 4G hardware)

the choice is yours

Quote Originally Posted by boxta View Post
    i am in the same boat as you, and I am eligible for 199 upgrade.

However I decided it's NOT worth it to upgrade just yet, not at least until I see Galaxy S2 in person to make sure.

And this is coming from a major HTC / EVO 4G fan.

I would highly recommend rooting your phone (if you haven't), and flashed one of the newer rom to your 4G, the ones with Ginger and Sense 2.1+3.0 features.

Things like the 3.0 lockscreen and the carosuel are all ported to 4G already. Flashing those would make your EVO4G phone like new, and extend the lifetime. I know I fell in love with it again after flashing new rom.

I am also a big SENSE fans, but felt the 3.0 is too much flash and not enough substance. To kind gauge whether I can live WITHOUT sense, I just flashed Cyanogen 7.1 as well, and to my surprise I don't miss sense as much as I thought I would.

And the phone is also much faster in CM than in Sense3.0 (which frankly is a little bloated for the 4G hardware)

the choice is yours
    also... with custom Rom and custom Kernel, I have no problem getting a full day on the 4G battery.

Global Posts
    631 Global Posts

After having used the 3D since Friday, I would have to sday NO...but some of that may be just my situation.

My issues are:

Signal Strength...fluctuates all over the place and in some cases has none where my EVO used to have 2 bars and worked fine.

Rear Speaker Volume....I wear hearing aids and with my BB and EVO 4G, I had no issues using it as a hands free phone in the car, using Telenav and hearing it, using the alarm and actually having it loud enough to wake me up, etc. I don't know if it's because there are no holes in the back cover on the 3D for the sound to get out or what, but the speaker volume is a fair bit less powerful than the 4G had and way below what my BB produced.

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hopefulfarm View Post
    Has anyone tried SAMS club to see what the discount would be above and beyond the price of $199?

Otherwise I'm going with and selling my rooted Evo 4G on craigslist.
    It was $174 and change the last time I looked at Sams.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast