RAM usage

vanjangles

May 25, 2011
Visit site
i'm not sure if anyone previously owned the EVO4G but people were having similar problems with task killers and ram usage. I remember reading an article about task killers and how it could really mess your phone up. If you have tasks open, its because there are certain apps that need to be running in the background in order to run properly. So if you keep killing tasks, sooner or later some apps will most likely glitch out and/or freeze up on you (i learned first hand). Just leave the task killer alone and don't worry about it. Like people have mentioned, if it's not slowing down your phone then you have nothing to worry about. On my last evo, i haven't touched the task manager and till this day it runs beautifully.

all-in-all, don't worry about RAM usage...let the phone do what is has to do. I'm sure the developers know what they are doing. Just enjoy your phone :D

I am not talking about task killers I am talking about the stock task manager that comes loaded onto the phone. I'm not trying to kill any apps I just said that two different places show two different things. Personally I am not worried about RAM usage just the fact that it says two different things in two differnt parts of the task manager that HTC put on the phone. I just would like to know which one is correct.

Reactions: svargas05

svargas05

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I am not talking about task killers I am talking about the stock task manager that comes loaded onto the phone. I'm not trying to kill any apps I just said that two different places show two different things. Personally I am not worried about RAM usage just the fact that it says two different things in two differnt parts of the task manager that HTC put on the phone. I just would like to know which one is correct.

Sounds like something they should definitely fix....

I hope the "Running Services" is the one that is correct, though.

edbtzy

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

Understandable. I just wanted to make sure people are aware of what killing tasks may do to your phone. I had bad experiences in the past

vanjangles

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Another funky thing I noticed is that under the running applications ram usage if you add both free and used up it's coming out to 854 MB istead of the 803 MB it says under the regular task manager.

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Another funky thing I noticed is that under the running applications ram usage if you add both free and used up it's coming out to 854 MB istead of the 803 MB it says under the regular task manager.

I think the task manager is probably a culprit here, usually the system settings are more at the core of the OS then task manager.

vanjangles

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Just got the email from HTC:

Dear Josh,

We certainly understand your concerns with the difference in the memory showing on the HTC Evo 3D.

What you are seeing is more of a difference in how the Task Manage application shows data on the device from what the Running Services see. The Task Manage shows only the actual running applications and does not list system processes, where as Running Services shows everything on the device that is running, including system processes. Running Services also takes into account the system processes and does not list the memory required for their operation. This is what is causing the discrepancy between the two.

We apologize for the inconvenience and will document your concerns. Feel free to contact us again should you have any further questions. If you feel more comfortable discussing issues by phone, you can contact Technical Support at 1-866-449-8358, 6 am to 1 am EST, 7 days a week.

To send a reply to this message or let me know I have successfully answered your question log in to our ContactUs site using your email address and your ticket number 11USCW27ENA002193.

Sincerely,

Dayton

HTC

svargas05

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Just got the email from HTC:

Dear Josh,

We certainly understand your concerns with the difference in the memory showing on the HTC Evo 3D.

What you are seeing is more of a difference in how the Task Manage application shows data on the device from what the Running Services see. The Task Manage shows only the actual running applications and does not list system processes, where as Running Services shows everything on the device that is running, including system processes. Running Services also takes into account the system processes and does not list the memory required for their operation. This is what is causing the discrepancy between the two.

We apologize for the inconvenience and will document your concerns. Feel free to contact us again should you have any further questions. If you feel more comfortable discussing issues by phone, you can contact Technical Support at 1-866-449-8358, 6 am to 1 am EST, 7 days a week.

To send a reply to this message or let me know I have successfully answered your question log in to our ContactUs site using your email address and your ticket number 11USCW27ENA002193.

Sincerely,

Dayton

HTC

So basically....it continues to NOT make sense, huh?

Because the way he described it, the task manager should show MORE available ram than the actual running processes screen. Therefore we can safely assume that the Task Manager app is skewed....

Thank you for the update!

vanjangles

May 25, 2011
Visit site
So basically....it continues to NOT make sense, huh?

Because the way he described it, the task manager should show MORE available ram than the actual running processes screen. Therefore we can safely assume that the Task Manager app is skewed....

Thank you for the update!

I thought the exact same thing. This email has me more confused then before. Your right by what he is saying the task manager should be the one that shows more free ram. Looks like I will have to send another email so maybe they can actually clear this up once and for all because his email made no sense.

svargas05

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I thought the exact same thing. This email has me more confused then before. Your right by what he is saying the task manager should be the one that shows more free ram. Looks like I will have to send another email so maybe they can actually clear this up once and for all because his email made no sense.

Do it! Do it!

I would have done so myself, but it looks like you got this. :cool:

vanjangles

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Here is the latest email from HTC, looks like they now finally admit something is messed up.

Dear Josh,

Thank you for your response. I understand how this can be frustrating for you. I personally would not be able to tell you why the amount of memory from Running services and the Task Mananger are backwards, but I will forward this to the appropriate department so that they can review the programming and determine what is needed to fix it. I do apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Jeffery

HTC

svargas05

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Here is the latest email from HTC, looks like they now finally admit something is messed up.

Dear Josh,

Thank you for your response. I understand how this can be frustrating for you. I personally would not be able to tell you why the amount of memory from Running services and the Task Mananger are backwards, but I will forward this to the appropriate department so that they can review the programming and determine what is needed to fix it. I do apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Jeffery

HTC

I knew it!

At least our phones aren't REALLY using 560 MB of RAM when nothing is open!

Thanks man for taking the time to look into this. Very helpful!

vanjangles

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I knew it!

At least our phones aren't REALLY using 560 MB of RAM when nothing is open!

Thanks man for taking the time to look into this. Very helpful!

No problem, it was irking me to. Hopefully they will fix it in the next OTA. But hopefully that OTA doesn't include a fix to the exploit they just used to find root lol.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma