RAM usage

svargas05

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Ok... so let me know if I'm alone on this one.

I go to the Task Manager app that's built in. Nothing running, YET I am using 562MB out of an available 803MB.

WTF?

The Sensation has about 570MB available, how the hell do they do this and why is the Evo 3D using SO MUCH of the RAM when no application is running?

I have 1 widget that updates (weather clock) and that's it. The other big widget is Bookmarks, but that isnt anything crazy.

What's everybody elses looking like?

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
there are also lots of apps and small system tasks that run in the background. Sense itself for example is huge. Which is the evo is slightly smoother, we have that bit of extra ram. You can use the built in task killer if you wish, but unless you phone is sluggish, why bother...

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Why are you so sad? It just means that things are already loaded where they can be executed in the fastest location possible, which is why it's probably a much smoother experience than the Sensation.

Know what would be sadder? If 803 MB were free, because nothing would be optimized. It's perfect the way it is.

svargas05

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Why are you so sad? It just means that things are already loaded where they can be executed in the fastest location possible, which is why it's probably a much smoother experience than the Sensation.

Know what would be sadder? If 803 MB were free, because nothing would be optimized. It's perfect the way it is.

You motivated me to move on. There was something that was very pacifistic about your post......

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
You motivated me to move on. There was something that was very pacifistic about your post......

Hah, I'm glad I could help. I was just reminded of a post I read from someone years ago myself.. where I saw that even though I didn't have much running in linux, I only had a smallish amount of memory free. Someone said that's because everything was cached, ready to go, ready to run very speedily. If something else needed it it would get booted from memory, but for now, most of what was needed was sitting in fast RAM so things would be quicker.

:)

svargas05

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I noticed something ( and it's definitely worth noting, my comrades)

When you go to Applications>Running services on the bottom it says for instance

"RAM 220MB used; 526MB free"

NOW... go to the Task Manager app, and those numbers are reversed. It'll say

"Total Memory Used 549MB Free 255"

I know the difference between RAM and ROM, and these two are definitely talking about RAM.

Also, am I really the only one with 548MB used out of 803MB? Seems a little out of whack to me...

dkmrules

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
What I don't understand is how this phone has 12 gigs of memeory out of the box, yet HALF of it is already used. Wtf why????

santos

May 18, 2011
Visit site

I know the difference between RAM and ROM, and these two are definitely talking about RAM.

Also, am I really the only one with 548MB used out of 803MB? Seems a little out of whack to me...

Are you looking at downloaded, all, SD card or running? My running and task manager numbers match up.

spridell

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site

No your not alone. Mine is the same way.

I have like 10 apps downloaded and memory goes all the way down to 90mb free sometimes. But... The phone never gets sluggish so i really dont worry about it.

svargas05

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Are you looking at downloaded, all, SD card or running? My running and task manager numbers match up.

I stated that I was looking at "Running Services" and it clearly labels the memory on the bottom of that tab : "RAM" and no, mine do not match up with the task manager's RAM usage.

I dunno which one to believe! :confused:

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
No your not alone. Mine is the same way.

I have like 10 apps downloaded and memory goes all the way down to 90mb free sometimes. But... The phone never gets sluggish so i really dont worry about it.

Did you move apps to SD?
Mine got around 100 or so and I moved to SD and freed up a ton. Netflix alone is a HUGE package!

Again you wont see a difference in performance at that level anyway so its really a null point.
Use the phone as intended and dont worry about the numbers unless you see problems.

svargas05

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Did you move apps to SD?
Mine got around 100 or so and I moved to SD and freed up a ton. Netflix alone is a HUGE package!

Again you wont see a difference in performance at that level anyway so its really a null point.
Use the phone as intended and dont worry about the numbers unless you see problems.

But moving apps to SD has nothing to do with RAM usage. You're referring to the actual storage memory(ROM) on the phone.

What my concern is with, is with the RAM.

vanjangles

May 25, 2011
Visit site
But moving apps to SD has nothing to do with RAM usage. You're referring to the actual storage memory(ROM) on the phone.

What my concern is with, is with the RAM.

Your right mine is the same way. What says is free ram on the task manager is used ram under running services. That seems strange to me.

vanjangles

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I am guessing that Sense is taking up a crap load of RAM.

But that depends on which reading you go by. If you go by what's on the task manager when you open it up then yeah, but if you go by what is says under running services then Sense wouldn't be using that much.

edbtzy

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
i'm not sure if anyone previously owned the EVO4G but people were having similar problems with task killers and ram usage. I remember reading an article about task killers and how it could really mess your phone up. If you have tasks open, its because there are certain apps that need to be running in the background in order to run properly. So if you keep killing tasks, sooner or later some apps will most likely glitch out and/or freeze up on you (i learned first hand). Just leave the task killer alone and don't worry about it. Like people have mentioned, if it's not slowing down your phone then you have nothing to worry about. On my last evo, i haven't touched the task manager and till this day it runs beautifully.

all-in-all, don't worry about RAM usage...let the phone do what is has to do. I'm sure the developers know what they are doing. Just enjoy your phone :D

Reactions: yibrushn

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1